Are chia seeds allowed?

ThisHasGottaHelp

I'm getting ready to set my "start" date for Whole30 but I have a couple of questions...I am really looking forward to experiencing this update. I was vegetarian and moved to vegan for 9 months to prove to my doctors that it doesn't matter how healthy I eat and excercise (run 5 miles a day via the Elliptical) I still couldn't lose weight - now I'm ready to try this. Are chia seeds allowed on Whole 30?

• Moderators

Chia seeds are allowed but are to be limited like other nuts/seeds as per the Can I have guide (linked below)

You can find answers to almost every question by googling Whole30+topic.

I've also moved your post to Can I have for a better fit.

Chia: Yes

These “seeds” aren’t the same botanical family of seeds that we eliminate with grains and legumes, so that makes them fine to eat during your Whole30.

Tip: Chia isn’t likely to cause you any serious trouble, but it’s not the omega-3 super-food it’s made out to be, either. We explain why in It Starts With Food, but in summary, chia should be treated like any other nut and consumed in limited quantities.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.Asb3zTtD.dpuf

• Moderators

Not if you want a great experience. Chia seeds may be popular in some programs and touted as superfood, but we recommend you limit seeds. Frankly, for best results, don't eat seeds at all. 

If you Google Whole30 chia seeds, you can find lots of past discussions of this topic.

Archived