backpacking paleo compliant foods

Kurt

I was wondering if anybody has gone on week or more backpacking trips while trying to eat paleo compliant? I am really struggling with how to carry enough calories as I normally need to eat about 3000 calories per day and things that I used to take like rice, noodles, oatmeal are not compliant. Any suggestions of some high calorie light foods that can be packed in?

Thanks,

Kurt

I didn't backpack the last time I was paleo but did ultra running. Dried fruit, dried fish and pemmican saved my butt and served Native Americans for centuries. The pemmican takes a bit to get used to and you can make it yourself or get whole 30 compliant from us wellness meats. Taka also makes it in bars but it's not whole 30, good for post though. Also the class in foraging through REI is great. You'll find you are surrounded by food when hiking.

Any light vegetable that doesn't smash or need refrigeration like persian cucumbers, red/yellow/orange pepper slices or carrots work well. Sardines, canned salmon, any dried fruit or nuts/seeds, and if you have room some apples are also good. Artisana makes individual packets of all of their nut butters and coconut butters...they are spendy but worth it, calorie dense and don't take up much space at all. I don't like this personally, but many people like to eat jerky if you can find a no sugar one, and it packs pretty well. Also, if you're not currently on whole 30, a few bars of 85% dark chocolate don't weigh much either :) Have fun, sounds like a great trip!

If you backpack often, get a dehydrator or find a friends. I go backpacking often so when I am planning a trip I do it nearly the same as I do my weekly meals.

I make lots of stir fry meals in a pan, fully cook everything them lay them out on the dehydrator and dry everything out. Then when you are are out, add water let it sit for 5-10 min. then start to heat it up. It is almost like you just cooked all that good stuff up.

I like scrambled eggs and shredded sweet potato's for breakfast. So I bake or nuke my sweet potato, then shread it in my food processor. Lay it out on the dehydrator until crispy. I take 6 eggs for each tray. I mix the eggs in a blender until smooth and then pour them into the flat roll up tray and dehydrate until it is flaky. Once done I put the flakes of egg into a small blender again and blend until it is a fine powder. Then once you are ready to cook at 1 tablespoon of water per egg and let sit for about 5 min. Pour it into skillet and turns out just like you cracked the egg open in the mtns. BTW none of this stuff needs to be cold once dehydrated.

Hope that gives you some hints.

Have a great week.

Hi,

I recently responded to a similar question on another forum so apologies if you have read that already and this is repetition! It is a subject close to my heart because my husband and I spent the last few months backpacking round south America, during which we did a LOT of hiking and spent a lot of time thinking about how we could hike paleo(ish), or at best gluten free. To give you some idea, our trips were typically 4-8 days, with tent and backpack and we were probably eating about 3000-3500 calories each. Anyway...

High calories and light food:

- olive oil (as long as you bring in plastic bottles.) You can add this to powdered potato / powdered egg / whatever and it will up calorie count hugely. If our experience is anything to go by if you add a decent amount you will stay full; we added loads of olive oil to dinner every night and tbh, ended up not needing that many snacks which cut down on food weight. Most of our snacks ended up being 'emergency' food!

- saucisson / chorizo type sausage which is not very heavy, will stir into most things and is pretty indestructible

- boiled eggs for the first few days (my husband didn't find these so filling, but I loved them)

- ham and cheese slices made into rolls (obv it depends on temperature, but we found that this lasted for ages; we were doing pretty cold hiking though)

- avocado. This is not so light, but it is very filling and great as a ham and cheese roll filler (mayo substitute!) or with egg

- tinned fish. Again, not so light but given the difference a decent amount of protein and fat makes (i.e. we found ourselves much less hungry) I think it's worth it

- as others have said fruit, nuts, would also add olives, dried tomatoes and chocolate

Hope this helps!

(Fyi, I wrote about this at more length on our travel blog, partly because there wasn't much on the web dealing with our circs - multi day hikes, no kitchen access, limited food options etc. Here is the relevant entry - http://grundygapyah.wordpress.com/2012/09/21/multi-day-hiking-while-paleoish-more-accurately-hiking-while-gluten-free-or-hiking-while-paleo-inspired/ Bear in mind we were aiming for gluten free so some stuff won't be appropriate - it might give you some more ideas nevertheless!)

I am so bookmarking this thread for next spring, too!

For those that like tuna, you can get tuna in pouches that is Whole30 compliant. It's much lighter to carry than cans! Wild Planet makes two varieties that are nothing but tuna and sometimes sea salt. And their sardines in olive oil are delicious (though not as pack-friendly as the tuna due to can weight).

• 5 months later...

I've made a few of my own dried backpacking meals:

Chilis:

http://scooterandtrianglegirl.blogspot.com/2012/03/backpacking-chili-attempt.html

Lunch:

http://scooterandtrianglegirl.blogspot.com/2012/04/backpacking-tuna-salad-idea.html

(I brought a screw-top ziploc container that I would re-hydrate this in during the morning.)

Breakfast:

http://scooterandtrianglegirl.blogspot.com/2012/03/backpacking-frittata.html

About to go on another one and have a few more ideas about what to try. Will hopefully remember to update here again.

Also, a good site that I've gotten a few ideas from:

http://heatherlovesapples.com/

Archived