Thai food

I love Thai food. Any recommendations for what I can eat at Thai restaurants? Do most curries have sugar added? Is it all coconut cream, or do they use dairy, too?

I feel pretty safe going with chicken satay and steamed vegetables... but I bet a red curry with duck and pineapple and basil could be prepared Whole30 compliant. The question is, will my neighborhood Thai place be W30-safe?

I've found the experience to not be worth the effort for me. This is just me but often there's a little bit of a language barrier at my local thai places and I don't trust that my questions are being understood or taken into consideration. There is sugar in a lot of the fish sauce and other sauces and dressings that often can't be avoided. If you're comfortable, go and ask a ton of questions!

I love indian food too and while my favorite, chicken tikka massala is made with chicken marinated in yogurt and cream in the sauce, most have coconut chicken which tastes very much like the former but is made with coconut milk and shredded coconut and at mine uses regular chicken, not the marinated tikka chicken. Let us know how you make out.

I agree with Johnny, for lifestyle eating its a great option, but for W30 it can be really complicated. I know I have struggled in thai restaurants to figure out what exactly was in the dishes...kind of like pulling teeth.

Best suggestion is to find a local place and make friends...that's the best way to get accommodations.

Unfortunately I agree with the comments above... Thai is one of my favorites, but I've decided not to have any during Whole30s. It's often one of my first off-roading meals when I finish a Whole30!

Sadly I too have to agree with Johnny. Post-Whole 30 I've had Thai food twice but since I still see food through a Whole 30 lens I know that unless you're willing to try one of the salads, without dressing, bean sprouts, rice noodles, etc. it's not worth it to go near a Thai restaurant while doing a Whole 30.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Larb salad is a good choice. Our local place uses ground meat, lime/lemon juice, cilantro, onions, and spices. This is served in lettuce cups. Just double check what oil they use in your restaurant prior to ordering.

Archived