acid reflux

I am on day 18 now and I am experiencing severe acid reflux. Is there anything I can do for this? It is terribly bothersome and is causing alot of pain. Please help!

Also, I do not feel any different now than I did before I started whole 30. Is this normal?

• Moderators

We hear of acid reflux going away during a Whole30, but not about it coming on strong. You might want to try taking some digestive enzymes like Now Foods Super Enzymes. The problem may be that your body is having trouble breaking down the fats and proteins of your new diet.

• 3 months later...

My younger daughter has acid reflux occasionally and since we started following the Whole30 guidelines she has been waking up at night with server stomach pain and flare ups.

This may not be new information for you, but I thought I would post it. The suggestion for the Whole30 to only eat three meals doesn't work with someone with a reflux problem, it's recomended from many sources to go with smaller more frequent meals. High fat meat such as gound meat is among the culprits that trigger the symptoms. There are a host of other food triggers as well. In our house we were eating a mostly plant based diet and only since doing this program did we start having more ground meat. I honestly haven't felt any better for it and as said my daughter is worse for it.

My father in law who is a doctor believes in the blood type diet. While it's not for everyone, I've come to the conclsuion that mixing rules from that body of science, with this program and gaps, I may finally have a dietary plan that will work for me. If I were to follow that book I should be eating mostly plant based and avoiding beef as they claim that I can not digesit it properly. I will concur with that, I've been feeling sick after eating beef, but I am fine with turkey and most seafood.

Good luck on your journey. It's all individualized. ;-)

It's important to reiterate what Tom said above - when you make the switch to this diet from another way of eating that did not include as much fat or protein (especially animal) it will take some time for your digestion to adjust. Your body tailors your digestive juices to what it is accustomed to breaking down in order to keep things working efficiently. At this point, I would recommend some digestive aid to help improve your discomfort as your body makes the adjustment. Most folks find that they don't need the enzymes long term, just a kick start so to speak.

Archived