Starting May 9

Chef Mike

• Moderators

How is everyone doing today? I stayed compliant all day and was able to get through the afternoon without a snack!

On the flip side, my stomach hates me. I have been in and out of the bathroom all afternoon. Blech!

Are you eating a lot of fruit, nuts, nut butter or raw veg?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doing well today, good energy, just a little achy. Never have any snacks. If i'm having fruit or nuts, I always eat them with my meals. I try to go 5 hours between meals and never after 7 pm. It seems to work well.

Are you eating a lot of fruit, nuts, nut butter or raw veg?

I haven't, actually. No nuts or nut butter today (some nut butter yesterday), a few slices of strawberry at lunch that amounted to less than a whole one, an apple yesterday. Only raw veggies are from salads, which I usually ate every day anyway.

Day 3. OW! OW! OW! I woke up in the middle of the night with a headache, and feel like I've been run over by a truck. I have some joint inflammation that is worse today. My sinuses are clear, which is good, and somewhat surprising, as I was beginning to be irritated by the pollen. I don't usually have seasonal allergies, but we had a fairly mild winter and "they" say the pollen will be worse because of that.

Anyone else hurting today?

Day 3. OW! OW! OW! I woke up in the middle of the night with a headache, and feel like I've been run over by a truck. I have some joint inflammation that is worse today. My sinuses are clear, which is good, and somewhat surprising, as I was beginning to be irritated by the pollen. I don't usually have seasonal allergies, but we had a fairly mild winter and "they" say the pollen will be worse because of that.

Anyone else hurting today?

Not as achy as yesterday. My allergies are 100% better than a year ago at this time, so I am thankful for that. Energy is already very high as I adjust to the increase in water intake. I try to get in 12 glasses(8oz) a day. More if i'm hiking or working outside.

I'm on day 3 and feeling good! I had a work event this morning that I knew there would be canape's and other food at so I had a banana and a handful of nuts mid morning (as the event went through lunch) to keep me going and it was fine!

I am tired though - I was going to do some exercise this morning but couldn't face it. Trying to be kind to myself and allow myself the time off, but I don't like skipping exercise. I'll try again tomorrow :)

I'm on day 3 and feeling good! I had a work event this morning that I knew there would be canape's and other food at so I had a banana and a handful of nuts mid morning (as the event went through lunch) to keep me going and it was fine!

I am tired though - I was going to do some exercise this morning but couldn't face it. Trying to be kind to myself and allow myself the time off, but I don't like skipping exercise. I'll try again tomorrow :)

I try to get in at least a brisk walk, even on those not so beautiful days. 1.5-2 miles in 20 to 30 minutes always perks me up.

Good job on the event work around.

Day #3! Whoo!  I am also feeling kind of tired, a little irritable, and achy again today but still going.  I am having crazy dreams though, anyone else?  I also got a horrible charlie horse last night, haven't had one like that in years and I know I'm hydrated.  Any suggestions?  I know banana's but anything else?  I am sleeping pretty hard though so that's good.  Don't feel like I woke up like I did yesterday with the pep in my step but hopefully tomorrow will be better. 

On a side note, I have a family graduation party on Saturday at a restaurant that I am already dreading.  I'm not sure how the set up is going to be, buffet or if we are choosing our meals.  Does anyone have go to's when they are in a restaurant?  We are going to an Italian restaurant and I feel like my selection is limited.  Any help would be great!  I know the suggestions from the book but I'm still a little anxious about it.

Hello-

I hope you do not mind if I join the thread late.  I too started my first Whole 30 on May 9th.   Had a great first two days and looking forward to another day of a healthier me!  Was very happy to find this on-line support forum  :)

So far, I am feeling great, sleeping well and already have more steady energy through out the day!   Now off to a busy day three...

Laura

Day #3! Whoo!  I am also feeling kind of tired, a little irritable, and achy again today but still going.  I am having crazy dreams though, anyone else?  I also got a horrible charlie horse last night, haven't had one like that in years and I know I'm hydrated.  Any suggestions?  I know banana's but anything else?  I am sleeping pretty hard though so that's good.  Don't feel like I woke up like I did yesterday with the pep in my step but hopefully tomorrow will be better. 

On a side note, I have a family graduation party on Saturday at a restaurant that I am already dreading.  I'm not sure how the set up is going to be, buffet or if we are choosing our meals.  Does anyone have go to's when they are in a restaurant?  We are going to an Italian restaurant and I feel like my selection is limited.  Any help would be great!  I know the suggestions from the book but I'm still a little anxious about it.

I started crazy dreams last night as well! Mostly involving wine :) I'm in a complete fog as well, which isn't good when I'm teaching 6th graders! I'll move to do something, and forget where I was headed! Wish I could help on the restaurant front - I agreed to host a wine tasting in my home Friday evening with coworkers and am a little stressed about looking like an ungracious host when I won't be partaking, but that's ok...it is what it is. Italian restaurants are notorious for great salads, so maybe add some grilled chicken and bring your own dressing? You'll do great!

Day 3 for me and I am feeling a little irritable but no headache thankfully.  I did not sleep well so maybe that's why, I kept getting up to pee, probably because I have upped my water intake.  I also had magnesium before bed so I think it could have been worse. I am still very encouraged to do this again and get back to where I was before when I finished my first Whole30 because I know how great I will feel.

Eating Out: If I am going to a restaurant I would keep it simple and order chicken, steak or fish and veggies grilled in olive oil. Make sure there are no sauces used or seasonings that contain off plan ingredients and perhaps a baked potato, you can drizzle compliant oil or sneak in a little container of ghee. If they can't do olive oil for the meat/fish, ask for it dry grilled.  You can also ask for steamed veggies. You could also include a salad with no dressing and bring your own. Don't worry about making special requests, you are paying for the meal so your entitled.

This is actually my 5th one starting next week, I kinda of ran my 3rd and 4th together in Jan and Feb.

@tmhampton1 if I can help with any advise on recipes I will try. I find the problem with most home cooks is that they follow the recipes to slavishly, when you need to improvise. I keep things simple with roasted and sautéed veg, roasted meats and chopped salads with cabbages and fruit type veggies.  I make a lot of spicy curries and tangy sauces to go with things and eat a good amount of animal fats, olive oils of all strengths and bacon, bacon, bacon. Keep it simple and everything takes care of its self. I have recently invested in an InstantPot and found many good recipe ideas for Whole30 at NomNomPaleo website. Well worth a look.

Talked to someone else who had done the Whole30 and they also strongly recommended curry for extra flavor and exciting food through the program.

Jumping on. My family re-started on May 9. We started for the first time on April 17 because my husband needs to lose weight and the only way it will work it to rid the house of all the things and eat as he does (though my daughter gets certain exceptions). We fell off the wagon on week 3. (My husband and daughter were on a week long school trip. The food situation was bad and it was hard enough to find her food that wouldn't send her into anaphylactic shock. I face planted on a chocolate bar in disappointment because of all the time and money I spent to make this happen for my husband's benefit.) So, we talked it over and decided to started again and are now on day 3. (Much to my daughter's dismay as she is jonesing for a pastry.)

I'm getting hit pretty bad with the carb flu, though I'm pretty sure what I need to do is up my overall food intake, especially fat. One thing I've been having trouble with is eating enough, especially in the mornings. I just can't eat much so early, it physically makes me ill. I've been splitting my breakfast into two parts, one when I wake up, one when I get to work, though I know this isn't ideal. Also, I'm not really an egg girl and left overs are usually someone's lunch, so breakfast can get hard for me. I've been eating a lot of prosciutto.    

I've also gotten horrible leg cramps the past two nights, which I didn't get last time, so I've started taking magnesium & vitamin d and I'll see if it works. One thing I am doing is drinking the amount of water I need for my weight.

Can Whole 30 cause jock itch? because that's the only problem my hubby seems to be having. :D He's even seeing results, despite falling off the wagon.

Child can be a challenge between food allergies and pickiness, but we're working on it. She doesn't get (and never has gotten) a separate dinner, and she's being a good sport about trying new things like caulirice and coconut aminos. The main focus for whole 30 for her is cutting down her sugar, and man, it really has made a difference in both preadolescent mood swings and getting her to bed.

I also starter May 9th, this is my second whole 30 and in between I have kept off the grains and processed stuff, so it hasn't felt too bad so far. However, I have had one really achy leg!

I agree with the comments about using curry and flavour, which combined with simple food makes a satisfying meal.

I've signed up for the emails this time around and I'm enjoying them, they are validating my efforts every day.

Hi JillyBean, make sure your getting enough salt. You are not water binding with the usual refined carbs, so you are shedding lots of potassium and sodium. A little extra at meals or in your water will not hurt you. When it comes to meals out, always stick with the basics and you can't go wrong. Grilled meats or fish without sauces and vegetable or salad. Don't let menu envy get to you.

Woke this morning to my 11 year old saying she wants to join me on the Whole30 starting tomorrow! I was shocked. She has always had issues with her stomach, and has had trouble sleeping lately, so she wants to give it a try. I told her if she makes it to my day 30, I will add 3 days to mine so we can finish together. I've rearranged our pantry to have compliant foods at eye level for her and everything else up higher. I also had her look at my breakfast and lunch options so she could tell me what she would want and she was game for almost all the options. Dinner is compliant every night anyway as I refuse to be a short order cook--even for myself! Now I just need to cook ahead while they're at church tonight so we just reheat and go. Thankful that she is cyber schooled, so she is home all day and won't have to navigate those waters during this! The only dicey time we might have is a school picnic we signed up to attend, but I think we can pack compliant foods to tote with us 2 hours away.

Another solid day for me. Not having negative side effects as the off roading I was doing wasn't highly awful. Still I'm feeling some pretty nice extra energy. I think some of that is just the high I get from knowing I'm in charge of me, that at each moment I'm making choices that are good for me.

I've been changing up my routine a bit. Usually I do portable protein, fat and vegs that I eat in the car on the way to work. I've known for a while that is suboptimal. This week I'm eating canned fish salads (tuna, sardine, salmon) and cooked vegs before I leave the house. For years I've been an eat-in-the-car person so this is big for me that I'm changing it up. Also eating more fish for variety, even if it is canned.

Helped a friend today prep for an event and she bought pizza and drinks for all of us. I was prepared with my salmon avocado and greens salad with a splash of balsamic vinegar and my lemon ginger tea. And funny my only "fear" was that someone would hate the smell of fish and I'd have to slip outside to eat haha. But friends are friends for a reason and they enjoyed the pizza while I enjoyed my salad. And let me tell you when I got to say that "No, it's mayo but I made it so there's no sugar or nonsense in it" you would think I told them I'd discovered perpetual motion. Not a one of us, me included, had ever made mayonnaise. Mayonnaise was what you bought, end of story.

I was not salivating over the pizza thinking about what I was missing out on. I was eating a savory, rich salad with the mayo I'd made from scratch. I enjoy my food more than ever because I'm making it so there's a sense of pride.

So today was a great day with great friends and great food. I hope you all are enjoying your culinary feats big and small!

Helped a friend today prep for an event and she bought pizza and drinks for all of us. I was prepared with my salmon avocado and greens salad with a splash of balsamic vinegar and my lemon ginger tea. And funny my only "fear" was that someone would hate the smell of fish and I'd have to slip outside to eat haha. But friends are friends for a reason and they enjoyed the pizza while I enjoyed my salad. And let me tell you when I got to say that "No, it's mayo but I made it so there's no sugar or nonsense in it" you would think I told them I'd discovered perpetual motion. Not a one of us, me included, had ever made mayonnaise. Mayonnaise was what you bought, end of story.

I was not salivating over the pizza thinking about what I was missing out on. I was eating a savory, rich salad with the mayo I'd made from scratch. I enjoy my food more than ever because I'm making it so there's a sense of pride.

So today was a great day with great friends and great food. I hope you all are enjoying your culinary feats big and small!

My co-workers are so fascinated by my mayo making that I'm going to bring the fixings and my immersion blender to work next week. I'll do a batch as a demo and then enough for folks to try their hand at their own. I've not yet had a failed batch in the almost year I've been making it so I'm hopeful my run of success will continue. Feeling like a celebrity chef....

My co-workers are so fascinated by my mayo making that I'm going to bring the fixings and my immersion blender to work next week. I'll do a batch as a demo and then enough for folks to try their hand at their own. I've not yet had a failed batch in the almost year I've been making it so I'm hopeful my run of success will continue. Feeling like a celebrity chef....

That is so fantastic! I made a mess my 2nd batch (we don't mention my 1st batch) but even though olive oil ended up almost everywhere, the mayo still came out beautifully thick and fluffy.

Celebrity Chef your way into work next week! What a fun and educational (not to mention delicious) show and tell!!

I try to get in at least a brisk walk, even on those not so beautiful days. 1.5-2 miles in 20 to 30 minutes always perks me up.

Good job on the event work around.

Thanks Mike!

I managed to get out this morning for a slow 3 mile jog and enjoyed it, it's nice to keep moving!

I seem to be having trouble sleeping though - is anyone else getting this? My husband says I've been tossing and turning for the last few nights which is unusual for me! Especially when I'm exhausted by the time I go to bed.

Day 4 is off to a good start. Good sleep and no more headache. I've just started waking up hungry, which I think means my leptin is getting back to normal. Since I've been tracking my hunger (about a month before starting Whole30) I've learned that I have to eat a lot of food in the morning before I feel satisfied. Previously, I didn't feel like eating in the morning. I wouldn't skip breakfast, but I never ate enough of it, and was always ravenous by lunchtime. And then, guess waht? I'd snack all afternoon. Since I've been paying attention to my hunger, I eat more in the morning and then don't feel so desperately hungry later on.

Good morning, day 4. No noticeable achy muscles today and woke up 20 min before my 6:15 alarm. Got right to work on my zucchini, pepper and onion frittata. A question for everyone, do any of you notice any flavor difference between, free range, organic and regular eggs? I've gone off white eggs all together due to their low quality. Fortunately, living in New England has it's advantages on the local brown egg front.

Lunch will be braised red cabbage, roasted batata, and Moroccan chicken thigh, all cooked in and slathered with ghee, bacon fat or coconut oil. Plus a small side salad of chopped cabbage, tomato and cucumber with avocado & harissa dressing. 

In the slow cooker for tonight we've got a seared off 1 lb beef shank, celery, onion and carrots, a layer of green cabbage and topped off with a large  cubed rutabaga. Yum

Have a great day everybody.

Archived