Starting May 9

Chef Mike

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Day 9!! After my first successful Mayo making, I just failed TWICE in a row! What am I doing wrong? I am using extra light olive oil. Should I use regular? Everything was room temperature and I blended it the same way. I wanted to make the ranch dressing found in the Whole30 book! 

Anyhow... Other than non-emulsefied mayo all is well here on day 9. My appetite has decreased for the most part, though occasionally it roars back and I find myself grabbing nuts and raisins. eep! 

Tonight I made coconut curry chicken! Sooooo good! And sauted zucchini, onions, and tomoatoes in ghee. No problem getting enough "good fats" here. I think I am losing weight.... not sure. If I stepped on that scale and it showed I hadn't lost weight.... argh! I see why they say not too.

Some mystery rashes have returned.Boo. I hope its a detox thing!

The end. For now.

I tried with olive oil once as well, and it was a disaster. I have stuck to safflower oil, per the recommendation on page 179 and it has turned out really well every batch I've made...

Hello Day 9!! After my first successful Mayo making, I just failed TWICE in a row! What am I doing wrong? I am using extra light olive oil. Should I use regular? Everything was room temperature and I blended it the same way. I wanted to make the ranch dressing found in the Whole30 book! 

Anyhow... Other than non-emulsefied mayo all is well here on day 9. My appetite has decreased for the most part, though occasionally it roars back and I find myself grabbing nuts and raisins. eep! 

Tonight I made coconut curry chicken! Sooooo good! And sauted zucchini, onions, and tomoatoes in ghee. No problem getting enough "good fats" here. I think I am losing weight.... not sure. If I stepped on that scale and it showed I hadn't lost weight.... argh! I see why they say not too.

Some mystery rashes have returned.Boo. I hope its a detox thing!

The end. For now.

Lot of discussion of mayo here in the forums. Google whole 30 mayo and you'll get a bunch of hits. Here's a link to one of the discussions

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/30161-mayonot/

Day #10, I feel really good today.  Feel like I have a lot more energy then I have had the last couple of days.  Woke up before my alarm, so that was great, and I feel like I won't nod off at my desk today, another bonus. Hope this feeling continues throughout the day.  I feel like I am happier too, or I just feel less stressed. I don't think this is tiger blood but I think I'm getting there :)

Thanks Leigh Anne. I'll check it out.

Day 9. I'm so tired and have a headache. I'm not falling asleep quickly at all. Actually it's the reverse. Very restless. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm having the same problem with not falling asleep quickly. Even tho I take magnesium before bed. I usually fall asleep quickly but wake up repeatedly thought the night and have trouble falling back asleep. The past week I have trouble falling asleep but when I do, I don't wake up at all. So I guess I can't complain.

I'm having the same problem with not falling asleep quickly. Even tho I take magnesium before bed. I usually fall asleep quickly but wake up repeatedly thought the night and have trouble falling back asleep. The past week I have trouble falling asleep but when I do, I don't wake up at all. So I guess I can't complain.

I try to turn off all electronics and as many lights as I can an hour before bed.  I do some stuff around the house for a half hour and then get ready for bed, I feel like the quite helps.  Not sure if that will help but it might be worth a shot.  I also read in bed and I usually don't last long.

Day 10 - Wife and I are doing good. She's feeling peppy and feels like she's lost weight. I don't feel too bad either, but like others, I'm having sleep issues. I'm not having trouble falling asleep, but I am having trouble staying asleep. Went to bed at 11 last night and was wide awake at 3. It took me almost a full hour to fall back asleep, and even then I only slept another hour or so. Still not very hungry either. I'm having to force most of my meals. 

Day 11. The book says this is when the drop-out rate is highest. Not us, though, right? We can do this crazy thing! We can do anything for 30 days, and we're coming up on the halfway point.

I have a big challenge coming up and need advice/encouragement. After we committed to starting the Whole 30, my husband and I got the chance to work on a schooner in Maine for a week. The trip falls on days 20-27 of our W30. We will work hard and have a fantastic time and the food will be amazing, BUT, a lot of it won't be Whole30 compliant. There will be salads and other good vegs and fruit at most meals. But the main course will often be pasta-based. I'm pretty sure I can get enough veg and fruit, but I'm concerned about protein if I skip the mac and cheese, etc. Here's what I'm planning so far. I can pack cans of tuna, Epic bars, and nuts. I'm sure it will be fine for me to boil some eggs every couple of days, too. I can bring a small cooler, and I will have access to a small bit of refrigerator space. I think I'll be able to say no to the sweets and breads (all homemade), but I can't afford to be hungry or I will crash.

I would just end my W30 early and start over after the trip, but 1. I don't want to, and 2. I will go sailing again this summer after my W30 is done and will enjoy all the stuff I'm passing up on this trip.

Any words of wisdom that will help me succeed on this trip?

Onto Day #11 :) .  I had a TON of energy last night, it was great and I felt like I got so much done after work.  I had to actually calm myself down a little bit to get to bed.  Woke up before my alarm, seriously love that.  I went grocery shopping yesterday and when I went before starting the whole30 I was VERY overwhelmed but when I went yesterday I actually enjoyed myself and was excited about all of the different recipes that I am going to be able to try out.  I'm feeling really good though.

@Leigh Anne we are all in this!  We made it too far to back out now!  You soundlike you are prepared for your trip, you will do great!  Maybe you can have whatever protein they are putting in the pasta dishes and put it in your salad instead?  Shrimp, chicken?  Hard boiled eggs would definitely be my go to though.

I was also just thinking this morning that we are almost at the halfway mark! Woohoo! I haven't done much cooking this week so far as I've been using up leftovers, so I'm going to have to think about some meals coming up.

Leigh Anne, I agree with JillyBean that it sounds like you have a plan! That's the first battle! I went away for a weekend during my first Whole 30 and I remember being so nervous, thinking I was going to run out of food and end up eating everything. So because of the fear, I think I overpacked food and ended up bringing most of it home, but that's ok, because I stayed compliant the whole time. I just remember that during those days I didn't necessarily stick to the meal template. If we were watching a movie I would snack on carrots and guacamole while they were eating popcorn. We planned for chicken fajitas one night, and I helped find a compliant recipe for that, which was delicious! I just served mine over spinach while they used tortilla shells. Besides our regular meals I just made sure I had hard-boiled eggs and veggies with guacamole for those tough times. You can do it! And you're right, you will have the opportunity this summer to enjoy the same foods and just think how much more you will appreciate them at that time!

I wish I had advice, Leigh Anne! Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Day 11 and I still am never hungry. Have to force myself to eat at all three meals. Posted in troubleshooting to see what could be causing this. Other than that, I'm doing pretty well, I think. Although I'm not sleeping well (extenuating stressful circumstances keeping me awake), I wake up not dragging, so that's a plus! I'm thinking of starting to add exercise to my days now that I'm in a bit of a routine food wise. 

Yesterday I went to the store and bought all food for the next three weeks (except for produce) so that I could spend less time at the store. I'll still need to go and buy milk for the babies every few days, but figure I can buy 2-3 days worth of produce then, but I won't have to do full fledged grocery shopping for the next three weeks. 

Anyone else contemplating extending beyond 30 days? I'm thinking of doing a Whole60 instead of Whole30, which would put me a week before we leave for the beach, allowing me to add in the only two things I plan on adding back (provided no tummy upsets after trying them)--moderate grains (in the form of rice and quinoa only), and dairy (small amounts of cheese every once in a while--feta and parmesan seem to be the only two I'm missing so far). I know for a fact I can't add in sugar. That is an all or nothing food for me. I cannot moderate it. At all. 

Day 11. The book says this is when the drop-out rate is highest. Not us, though, right? We can do this crazy thing! We can do anything for 30 days, and we're coming up on the halfway point.

I have a big challenge coming up and need advice/encouragement. After we committed to starting the Whole 30, my husband and I got the chance to work on a schooner in Maine for a week. The trip falls on days 20-27 of our W30. We will work hard and have a fantastic time and the food will be amazing, BUT, a lot of it won't be Whole30 compliant. There will be salads and other good vegs and fruit at most meals. But the main course will often be pasta-based. I'm pretty sure I can get enough veg and fruit, but I'm concerned about protein if I skip the mac and cheese, etc. Here's what I'm planning so far. I can pack cans of tuna, Epic bars, and nuts. I'm sure it will be fine for me to boil some eggs every couple of days, too. I can bring a small cooler, and I will have access to a small bit of refrigerator space. I think I'll be able to say no to the sweets and breads (all homemade), but I can't afford to be hungry or I will crash.

I would just end my W30 early and start over after the trip, but 1. I don't want to, and 2. I will go sailing again this summer after my W30 is done and will enjoy all the stuff I'm passing up on this trip.

Any words of wisdom that will help me succeed on this trip?

Leigh Ann, basically you are going to be eating out for 8 days and will have to make good choices. You still can only eat 3 meals of veg, fat and protein. You have to decide what those are going to be and be prepared for the situation you are putting yourself in. It would be the same for a person traveling for business for a week. there is a section in the Whole30 book with lots of ideas for things to have when you travel on Whole30. It's not a small list, but I think it's manageable. Hauling around on those sheet, halyard and bunt lines can be a workout, so keep some precooked bacon and Epic bars at the ready.

Beast of luck on this challenge, hope you enjoy your sail.

On Day 11 and I feel like I have a lot more energy, dare I say tiger-blood??  I did a crossfit workout yesterday evening and it was hard but I was able to get through it and still have enough left to push it at the end.  My outlook is a lot more positive even with the stress I have in my personal life right now (aging mother to take care of).  They are still there but I feel better equipped to deal with them mentally, which was the main reason why I decided to do another Whole30.  Tonight is curry night, we are having coconut curry chicken, cauliflower rice and oven roasted veggies.  I found a couple new recipes, oven roasted brussel sprouts and carrots, you just add spices, oil, salt and leave them in the oven and turn half way through while you are making the rest of your meal.  Likewise, with the cauliflower rice, I am trying oven roasted this time and I think it will turn out a lot better, not so mushy in the frying pan and that can cook along side the veggies for less time, so all I have to do is my chicken. Looking forward to it! Hope everyone else is turning a corner soon but if not it will come, have faith! :D :D

I've succeeded in eating out with friends, rocking water as a DD when we all go for drinks, even survived the trip home where my parents show their love by how much food they can send me home with (pot pies, cake, lasagna...). I held fast and true with a lot less wavering than I thought I'd feel.

But today I gave a semi-formal presentation and had it catered by our favorite catering company. There were lots of leftovers and once a poor starving undergrad, always a poor starving undergrad. It's not food that tempts me. It's FREE food that tempts me. Out of all the things that came up, today was surprisingly the most difficult.

My frugal inner voice kept saying "you'd better grab that before someone else does". While the Whole30 compliant voice asked "Do you think that cake will freeze for a month and still taste good?". I kid you not, I was going to take a sandwich just to take one.

So let's give a hand to this program for all the therapy it saves by making us confront issues we ignored. Maybe I ate the way I did because I can afford anything I want now which I took to mean EAT IT ALL; proof you've come far. Don't get me wrong, I have never been hungry in a way where I had nothing to eat. It's that all I could afford in those college days was junk so when an event came along that provided lunch or dinner or, heaven forbid, pancakes, I was there with a large purse.

Thankfully, I'd brought my lunch and a darned good one of roasted chicken, acorn squash, and spicy steamed kale. It was delightful and somewhat mollified my NEED FREE THINGS side which is good. Because I also have a DON'T WASTE FOOD side which would have eaten it out of ingrainedingrained moral necessity (thanks Mom!).

That's my rambling for the day. Again, thank you all for being so open and active here! We're in this together!!

@Mishi I can relate to your predicament. Yesterday, we had a huge end of the year picnic for our medical school (we are all leaving each other to work in different hospitals next year) and a local BBQ pit catered it. There are two things in this world that I'm a sucker for... one is great BBQ, and the other is great pizza. My wife and I stuck to our guns, but the entire time we were there, I just kept looking at the food thinking "...but it's free. It's BBQ and it's free. There's brisket, pork, chicken... and it's free... and we aren't eating it."  I was raised very frugal as well, and you definitely never turn down a free meal. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, which is sad to say it out loud. 

Day 11 is going great for us. I have a chuck steak and vegetables braising in the oven. Both of us feel good, but I'm still having trouble sleeping. Last night was a little better than the previous nights though. I was able to stay asleep for 6 hours instead of the 3-4 that was usual in the previous days. 

The first time I did a Whole30, my sleep was pretty bad for the first 2 weeks, then it got a lot better after that. So just be patient, maintain good sleep habits, have a starchy veg and/or magnesium close to bedtime and it should get better soon.

Sometimes, randomly throughout the day, I'm still so full that I have to really think if I slipped.

"Did I eat 6 donuts and forget? No no, I only had a salmon patty with cauliflower rice...Weird..."

Imagine that, real food can be filling too.

Mishi,

Me too! I've never had a consistently "full" feeling before starting the Whole30. I'm on Day 8. I feel full all the time. Am I overeating? I'm on plan, and haven't broken any rules. So weird. I told 3 people today that I'm on this program-- and I never feel hungry!

@bmaass, I agree, it's embarrassing to say that turning down food we love is "the hardest thing we've ever done," but it's true, isn't it? I feel your pain about the BBQ. In my browsing before I started this, I came across a good compliant recipe for pulled pork. I think it was on Melissa Joulwan's site, www.theclothesmakethegirl.com. It has apple cider, which gives the sweetness without brown sugar.

On to Day 12!

That's my favorite thing about the Whole 30...that I am never hungry! When I've tried a traditional diet I would look down at my plate and know I'd be hungry even before I started!

I appreciate the bbq sauce topic because that is something I was thinking about trying too. I didn't try the sauce during my first round, but I think I will this weekend.

I went on my first bike ride of the year last night and I have to admit that I felt quite amazing! It was my first ride on a new bike so I didn't want to go to far. I went 5 miles down the road and back again and the first 5 miles were fabulous...I was flying! Then I turned around to go home and hit the headwind, making me realize why I was flying! lol It still was a strong ride though and I felt great when I got home.

Have a great weekend everyone...we're almost to the halfway point!

On the topic of BBQ sauce, the easiest way to be compliant when grilling/BBQing is to make a dry rub of your favorite spices mixed with a good amount of kosher salt. I like smoked paprika, ancho chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, coriander(cilantro seed) and sometimes a small amount of chipotle powder or cayenne pepper for a little kick. Sprinkled and rubbed on any meat the night before cooking and let it rest in the frig.

Offset heat cook over gas or charcoal the next day and when the meat is done to your liking, you can mop it with a mixture of tomato paste, a little mustard, apple cider, salt, pepper and vinegar. The consistency of a salad dressing. No sugar required or needed.

Enjoy day 12.

Mishi- I am with you about the wasting food!  I hate wasting anything.  Your description of your day put a smile on my face, good job :)

Day #12- This morning I felt at peace and excited, of coarse it is Friday, but I'm also just happy.  I'm not body achy, or moody when I get up and not dragging my feet to go to work.  I really feel different, like I haven't felt this "awake" in years. 

I really did want a glass of wine while I was making dinner last night but it only last for like a second and had some of my sparkling water and was fine. I have ground turkey meatballs in the crock pot for tonight and can not wait to try them!  

So I have been really interested in doing Yoga, I have no idea what I'm doing though and don't want to sign up for anything because I have not a clue.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a true beginner?  I think it is something that I could really enjoy but have no idea where to start. Thanks!

Hi there, I started my 4th or 5th whole 30 on May 9th, and have been having a tough go the last couple of days so thought I'd jump into the forums finally to find my people!

I love this program, and have successfully completed it 4 times in the last 3 years - I think my first was August 2013 - and always feel amazing at the end. I've had a few unsuccessful attempts along the way as well. The thing is, I've NEVER been able to do the reintroduction phase, and it's always been my downfall. SO this time, I'm aiming for a whole60, to solidify my habits better, nix my addictive food issues, and I'm going to take advantage of this support system as well - I can be stubbornly independant and realize that's not working for me.
So day 12 - having some serious gastro distress. read into that as you will, you probably won't be far off... I suspect an egg sensitivity and am going to cut down for a bit to see if it helps. Anyone else going through this, ahem, adjustment, at the midway point?

Archived