Having a little trouble grasping all this

krisbee911

Hello everyone, my name's Kristen,

I just started the Whole30 yesterday (10/1) and am already a bit worried about the amount of food I'm eating. It seems like a TON! I'm using the book Practical Paleo and her Squeaky Clean 30 day Paleo meal plan so far and the amount of fat and protein are insane! Yet, I was still hungry all yesterday afternoon, with a similar feeling today. I know it says here to try to only eat 3 hefty meals but I definitely need to snack in between. Is this normal? Any advice? I ate about 85% paleo before beginning this adventure and didn't think it'd be so tough, think again! ;)

Hi Kristen!

Oh man, I felt the same way when I started! When I figured out how much I needed to eat at one sitting to eliminate snacking, I felt like a beast! If you were used to eating light, frequent meals beforehand, the sheer volume of food can be jarring. I'll give you an example of what a pretty normal dinner looks like for me. Today, my lunch was a little bit light and I'm still experimenting with how large of a dinner I should eat before CrossFit in the morning, so I had a big bowl of ghee-sauteed cabbage with pulled pork shoulder, a bowl of raw spinach topped with a bit of beef chili and raw peppers/carrots, a dab of homemade mayo, 1/4 avocado and a nice big bowl of sliced cukes with a few cashews. I'm full, but not at all stuffed. For reference, I'm a 5'7" female, CrossFit 3x/week and live in a city so I walk a good 2 miles per day.

At some point toward the end of my Whole30, I checked my caloric intake, just out of curiosity. I was restricting my calories to ~1300 per day before the program, and I found that I was eating about 1.5-2x that during my Whole30. Two months in, I still haven't weighed myself, but my clothes fit - probably even better than they did pre-Whole30.

I'm still not entirely sure of what the "magic" of being able to eat such amazingly delicious food and maintain a lean body is, but I can tell you that it works! I eat large meals of outrageously delicious, healthy food 3x/day and don't ever feel stuffed afterwards or ravenous beforehand.

So, you're doing just fine - eat up! (By the way, the lack of snacking thing is a work in progress - I wasn't able to go without snacks until the last 4 days of my Whole30. Just make it a goal, and you'll eventually get there!)

I did my first Whole 30 August 1 of last year. I did it on the after losing 84 lbs on a very strict weight loss plan that had me eating 6 meals a day. SO much work. I really had a hard time switching over to Paleo (at least what that means to me) in June and then a bunch of us discovered Whole 30. We even had a thread of Paleo people on that weight loss forum....heee. :) We all did Whole 30 and thank goodness we had each other to assure each other we wouldn't gain 50 lbs over night. I never looked back. It was difficult for some time. I didn't always stick to the 3 meals during the year after my Whole 30, but on my 30th day this time (started Sept 1), for some reason I under ate my breakfast in a big way. OMG...I felt horrible all day. I kept getting hungry every 2 hours and tried to have mini meals, but got hungry again before it was time for a meal. I was never so glad to go to bed and end my misery. :) I am, without a doubt, not someone who does well on snacking and small meals. I am shocked at how it affected my mood. It's like I was looking and needing something all day.

Once you get the hang of it, you will feel the 3 meals a day euphoria. :D

thanks everyone for the advice! I know it'll take a little while to get used to the portion sizes after years of following the low fat/low calorie mantra. I'm gonna focus on a huge breakfast and hope my day will fall in line from there.

Archived