Magnesium

Sylvie Thome

I have been taking Magnesium as a sleep aid since I did my Whole 30 in February. I started with Mag Citrate tablets right before bed, which produced a lovely, deep sleep that I hadn't felt in decades, but also produced first thing in the morning runs to the bathroom. Recently I've been using unsweetened Natural Calm (also Mag Citrate), which has fixed the digestive issue, but doesn't seem to produce the same quality of sleep.

Does anyone have recommendations of what other types of Mag (malate?) can give me that deep kind of sleep without also giving me the runs? All in all I'm sleeping much better than I have in decades due to switching my diet from typical American 'healthy' diet (who knew gluten was the cause of some of my sleep issues!?) to Paleo/primal, but I still am a light sleeper except for when taking the Mag Citrate tablets, so I'd love to find something that will help me regain that lovely deep sleep.

thanks for any suggestions!

I'll leave this to some other experts but am wondering supplements aside, are you watching much tv or using the computer at night before bed? There are quite a few ways to help regulate sleep and you want to be sure you're attacking it from all angles if it's a persistent issue!

I have been a poor/light sleeper my entire life. I have (self diagnosed) type 2 insomnia; I fall asleep just fine, but wake up 4-5 hours later and often will be awake from 2-4 am before falling back asleep for a couple hours restless sleep. I've tried all the conventional methods, including, but not limited to ambien, no tv/computer before bed, white noise machine, lots of exercise, no exercise, lavender, hot showers right before bed, etc. Cutting out gluten seems to be a big help, and that was my big takeaway from my Whole 30, but the Mag Citrate tablets gave me a deep sleep I literally can't remember experiencing before. When I was reading up on Magnesium, I stumbled across some articles that linked Mag deficiency with Type 2 insomnia, so that was fascinating....hopefully there is some type of Mag out there that will work for me!

I used to take mag citrate as mild laxative, I don't recall them effecting my sleep...but I've never had trouble sleeping - still making up for all the baby years! but now I take magnesium (oxide), but more for bone/muscles than as a sleep aid.

Have you tried taking Chelated Magnesium? The difference in chelated supplements is their ability to bind with molecules in your intestine called amino acids who drag the supplement into your system via the amino acid passageways- this greatly increases their absorbency and effectiveness. You may be having intestinal problems with magnesium citrate because it's common use is as a diuretic, and a very good one! The ionic nature the magnesium citrate salt actually causes it to draw water out of the cell walls in your lower intestine. Some magnesium is probably absorbed (giving you that great, deep sleep) but a chelated magnesium supplement will likely eliminate the runs. I take it to deal with insomnia and I've never had an issue :) Hope this helps!

Have you tried taking Chelated Magnesium? The difference in chelated supplements is their ability to bind with molecules in your intestine called amino acids who drag the supplement into your system via the amino acid passageways- this greatly increases their absorbency and effectiveness. You may be having intestinal problems with magnesium citrate because it's common use is as a diuretic, and a very good one! The ionic nature the magnesium citrate salt actually causes it to draw water out of the cell walls in your lower intestine. Some magnesium is probably absorbed (giving you that great, deep sleep) but a chelated magnesium supplement will likely eliminate the runs. I take it to deal with insomnia and I've never had an issue :) Hope this helps!

Any good brand recommendations?

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to wrap back around on this--the chelated magnesium (glycinate) has worked really well for me. No significant laxative effect (phew!) and if I take about 300 mg, it helps with sleep (that's 100mg more than the recommended dose, but 200 didn't seem to help with sleep). I got the Metagenics brand, but didn't really put in any research to that, so not sure if that's the best.

Hi I'm fining it hard getting natural calm in the UK, does anyone have any recommendations ? How about this ? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Now-Foods-Magnesium-Citrate-Powder/dp/B000JNA9F4/ref=sr_1_22?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1339804198&sr=1-22 is this any good ? And how much should I take ? I'm always highly stressed and would like to improve my sleep.

Hi I'm fining it hard getting natural calm in the UK, does anyone have any recommendations ? How about this ? http://www.amazon.co...9804198&sr=1-22 is this any good ? And how much should I take ? I'm always highly stressed and would like to improve my sleep.

It will definitely make you poop!

I know my friend used to take these, not sure if they're W30 or not..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kalms-Night-Sleeping-Pills-Tablets/dp/B00476W6LE/ref=sr_1_2?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1339847084&sr=1-2

• 1 month later...

I make magnesium oil and apply transdermally so it avoids the whole poop problem. Also less taxing for the liver.

The "recipe" is here: http://www.fiftytolife.com/2011/mrsa/. Scroll down, you'll see the mag oil with a picture. I spray about 10 sprays on my inner thigh or inner arm, and rub in. Any fatty place is good. Also helps with any cramping. You can also spray this on your food and eat it, but it tastes terrible...

If you like taking it orally, your body will get used to it. Start slow and increase little by little. Vitamin C does the same thing, so you have to start slow with that, too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Where did I read that you could take an Epsom salt bath and get a healthy does of magnesium through your pores and orifaces? This would be great if it's true since I like taking Epsom salt baths for the sore muscle relief already.

Archived