Starting my 3rd Whole30 on June 16! Who's with me?! :)

katieblue

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woohoo! Today is the day :) How is everyone's first (or not first) day going?? So far, I'm doing pretty well besides the fact that I feel as if I've spent HOURS in the kitchen (which I have). I didn't do any prep last night, and I'll be home late tonight so I made all of my meals for today and some leftovers for tomorrow throughout this morning. I know I'll definitely have to work on proper time management in the kitchen from here on out  ^_^  I've made chicken sausages and some chicken meatballs, and I have a spaghetti squash roasting in the oven for dinner tonight! I also fried up some plantains in coconut oil to have on hand in case I get hungry at work or during my commute. Hope everyone is making it through, and enjoying their first few days!!

I took a Tylenol and I am okay now! But I also did drink some black coffee earlier. When I tried the Whole30 in Feb and only made it 12 days, I do not remember getting a headache so I am not sure if its whole30 related. 

Omgosh Libby, I LOVE fried plantains!! Sounds like you're well armed going into this! :)

I had a rough day, I got in the worst car accident of my life earlier today. :( Some guy cut across an intersection and I slammed right into him. I'm okay, but my car isn't, so I had to get it towed, get a rental, deal with insurance and police and doctors, and it was just so exhausting! I'm JUST getting home and sitting down now.

The interesting thing is, I really wanted ice cream! I was like oh, I've had a crappy time of this, I can start my Whole 30 tomorrow. Instinctively I went to food to make me feel better! But I stayed far away from sugary dessert things - my sugar dragon is so awake after vacation - and just defrosted some compliant pulled chicken from the freezer for dinner so I didn't have to cook! Had it with some sauteed kale and a roasted sweet potato with cinnamon, and it was amazing and wonderful and there was no need for ice cream! Lol!

Aiden, glad your head feels better!!

I started june 1st but its my 3rd Whole30 as well! And my second one of 2016. Glad to give each other support through the process. I feel like in some ways the second and 3rd Whole30's have been more difficult, though easier in some ways as well. Anyone else feel this way?

Wow! I'm sorry to hear about your accident today, Katie, I can't even imagine how scary that probably was. Congrats to you for sticking with starting today even after all of that, I don't know if I would have been able to do the same. The fried plantains were delicious, I made some sweet (sprinkled with cinnamon) and some savory (just with some salt). The spaghetti squash with chicken meatballs and homemade tomato sauce was so amazing, it tasted exactly like the gluten and carb filled version I normally would have :) Day 1 is over, only 29 more to go!

Katie - thanks so much for your support.  Hope your vacation was amazing.  Car accidents are stressful; great job on not letting it affect your start date. 

I wasn't sure this would be the right time for me to do another whole 30 but I have done it before under very bad circumstances.   I have been eating mostly paleo so it won't be too difficult for me.  What is hard for me - drinking enough water (I can do this), eating when not hungry, sticking to 3 meals and no snacking.  I have done many whole 30  but I have never been able to follow the no snacking recommendation.  Fruit - that's a food with no brakes for me.  I used to love fruit; I don't love it anymore but I still have an issue with it. If fruit is in my apartment, I eat all of it in one day.  Fruit will either be very limited or I won't eat any (have not made a definite decision).  Exercise - I will exercise 5 times a week - one hour walks and/or body weight exercises.

Advice for new people - be careful with fruit, nuts/nut butters, fruit and nut bars - they are food with no brakes for many people and can have a negative effect on the success of your Whole 30.  Keep things simple; you do not have to make complicated meals (only you want to).

Enjoy your journey to health!

Libberation, I actually think my second round was a lot easier than the first, and this round has felt completely natural with no stress involved at all, so even easier (I mean, it is only day one, but there was no anxiety or anything about going into it; I already had so much food prepped and ready to go because I've been mostly eating this way anyway!). How are you finding your third round?? :)

Thank you, Libby! So glad you liked the spaghetti squash and sauce combo - I've definitely found that it works just as well as pasta! Have you ever tried zucchini noodles? They are even closer in texture to regular spaghetti, and if you salt them first they get even more so! I love your positive attitude with all of this, too!! :)

Laurie, it sounds like at least you have a handle on the fruit situation now, so you've learned how you react to it and can make appropriate choices! I actually have found that I react really badly to fruit; it's the same as having a regular sugary dessert for me. I don't get the cravings, exactly, but I start to feel bloated and sluggish and just awful. The only exception is if I eat it at night time with dinner, but if I put fruit on salads or with breakfast, it's just bad news bears.

I'm so proud of all the changes you're making and the awareness. You're such a powerful woman and I'm so happy you found me again! :)

Day Two!! Moving along here! How's everyone feeling? My stomach hurts but I think that's probably from stress, not food related! Lol!

I started Monday too, and aside from some gas on day 3 am feeling pretty much the same. This morning I had a very hard time being hungry enough to eat my 3 egg omelette, and practically chocked down the last few bites. I hope this might be related to having to snack with a banana last night to deal with a low blood sugar issue as a Type 1 diabetic. Good to be aboard this link ;-)

I seem to have kicked the hypoglycemia issues that my antibiotics were causing. This W30 round (my first) is feeling mostly natural... I tend to eat pretty healthy as it is, and substituting cashew milk for my regular creamer (for coffee), and cutting out breads have been my two noticeable changes, for myself.

It's been kind of fun posting to wordpress again, too, so maybe that's part of it.

Going out with friends tonight to the movies, but I never buy snacks or sodas there anyhow, so that shouldn't be an issue. 

I bought a couple of large plantains yesterday to slice up and panfry this weekend, so thanks for that tip!!!

Day 2, *nearly* over and out!

Hey TripleG, I know that a lot of people seem to experience a lack of hunger initially in a Whole30. I would just keep doing what you're doing and eating as close to the template as you can, and your body will adjust. It's just a transition period. :)

Jenarra, I'm really glad to hear that you've shaken the hypoglycemia issues, and so quickly! I'll definitely have to follow along on your wordpress. I think that's such a great idea and a good way to keep yourself honest!

Day 3, everyone!! Do you have specific plans for navigating any potential food challenges on Father's Day? I know we're seeing my dad in the morning for breakfast, but I'll just have eggs and veggies and bring my own compliant sausage that I made. And in the afternoon we're having my boyfriend's family over for a BBQ, and since we're hosting, I can make sure the sides I make are compliant! I've already gotten used to loving a burger with homemade ketchup, pickles, tomato, and in a lettuce wrap, and I've found a fabulous recipe for compliant potato salad and pineapple cole slaw! And of course I'll make a green salad for extra leafy veggies as well. :)

Here's to day three! I was MIA yesterday as my family is up at our cabin and I didn't have good service yesterday. Day 2 went by pretty smoothly, besides a nagging headache and slightly upset stomach that stuck around for a few hours. I had a burger last night, Katie, but instead of in a lettuce wrap I baked two sweet potato rounds in the oven with some olive oil and used that as my bun, topped with some onions and pan seared prosciutto. I also had a strawberry arugula salad, and overall it was my favorite meal so far! While the rest of my fam had regular hamburger buns and tater tots, I was completely satisfied with my version, and i felt much better after dinner than the rest of my family did :) Now that's a whole30 win!! Going to visit my grandparents today, which should be fun, but I'll have to try extra hard to stay away from all the candy my grandma usually leaves laying around... Lol. Hope everyone else is enjoying day 3!!

I've never heard of doing that with sweet potatoes before - how long do you have to cook them?

I had a little interesting thing happen to me today. I was feeling "ugh" from the weekend, from running around, just in general. I got up about 10 minutes later than I should have, but I didn't feel like cooking breakfast. So I grabbed 2 boiled eggs (I boiled several yesterday) and 1/2 an avocado (also left from yesterday), and my cup of coffee with cashew milk.

Noon came, and I was only *just* feeling a twinge of *starting* to get hungry. I'm normally ravenous by about 11am. And I was particularly worried today, because I'd had so little for breakfast, and no veggies.

I just had another 2 boiled eggs and my chicken salad from last night (with veggies inside) for lunch. Maybe it was a fluke that I wan't hungry yet, or maybe my stomach is retracting a little bit. Also, I may be imagining it (due to wishful thinking), but I think some of my upper abdominal bloat may be going away, too. It's still "muffin top-ish", but not as pronounced as it was, or so I may be imagining.... :P

Week 1 is almost up!

I usually splash some cooking oil on a pan, slice them like 1/4 inch thick, crank the oven to 400 degrees, bake for 10 minutes, flip, then bake for 10 more.

I don't think it's strange at all that you've felt less hungry; I think a LOT of people experience that when starting a Whole 30! I'm not sure of the exact science behind it, though. Either way, I'm so glad to hear that you're already feeling positive effects!!

5 days completed, everyone!! Way to kick ass!! :)

Hi everyone! I've been trying to post for days but I kept getting error messages. Trying one more time. I've been following this thread, but started my second round on the 18th. Hope it's ok if I join even though I'm a few days behind. @Jenarra I still struggle with not being hungry when eating Whole30. It's ready weird feeling, isn't it?

For those of you who haven't been feeling all that hungry... man am I jealous! I've always had a pretty big appetite, but I've found that even when I do eat the right size meals with lots of veggies, healthy fats, protein and all, I am still getting hungry not too long after! I try to push through to my next meal without snacking, and am usually pretty successful, but I just can't seem to beat the constant hunger! Other than that, though, I've been really happy these past few days. I definitely think my "hangover" phase kicked in the first two days, and since then I haven't really dealt with any headaches, or other problems. I'm already past the cravings of all the gluten and sugar filled foods the rest of my family is having, which is huge for me. The diets I've done in the past I've always ended up cheating on because I just "couldn't resist" that slice of cheese, or that low cal ice cream bar in the freezer, and it always led to binge eating shortly after. Since this isn't technically a diet, and I know I'm doing this not just for weight loss but for finding out what is causing me poor health, I've really been able to stick with it strongly and not feel the need to indulge in all the foods I used to eat. Even when the girl I nanny for asked if we could go out to ice cream, I happily brought her to get some and wasn't even tempted to get some for myself :) And it's only day 5!! I feel like I'm speeding through the timeline, because this has already become like second nature to me, making compliant meals and actually enjoying them. It's just such a good feeling, finally treating my body right, and knowing that there are only good things to come from that. Well, congrats to everyone for making it this far!! We're officially 1/6th of the way done  ;)

Hi everyone,

I'm glad I found a thread that I can follow since I also started on the same day - June 16!

I actually agree with @louinthesky. I also feel hungry during in between times. I should try harder not to snack in between meals but thus far I've been having some nuts and bananas to hold me through.

On a side note, quick question. What exactly is the difference between Paleo and Whole30? So far what I found from internet is that Paleo approves honey while Whole30 doesn't. Also, Paleo is more of a long term change in the eating habit, while Whole30 targets for 30-day. Anything else? I ask because recently I have come across a restaurant that serves food under Paleo concept ('no soy, no grains, no dairy, no sugars, no gluten, no MSG'). When I had to meet people for a meal outside I've been recommending that we meet there - so far it worked out ok and the server was kind enough to bear my questions before I ordered :) I'd be interested to hear what other strategies you have employed when you had to eat out.

Theheartoverflows, of course you're welcome to follow along with us!! I don't think it matters if you're on Day 1 or Day 20 or anything; the point is just to be here to support each other and cheer each other on! :)

Libby, you are doing amazing so far!! I love that your mindset is changing already as far as the sweets and carbs and stuff! And I think you'll find that as you become fat adapted, you will lose that constant hungry feeling for sure and even out. I think if you do find yourself hungry, you're supposed to add some more fat to your meals so you can hold out longer between them, or just eat more in general. I know I'm eating more now Whole30 style than I have ever in my life. Like, last night we made jerk-seasoned turkey burgers with chunks of mango in them and fried plantains on top, and I ate at least two cups of potato salad and pineapple slaw, and a massive side salad, and I was full, but not stuffed. It's kind of amazing what a difference this can make!

pinklotus, welcome aboard!! :) If you have to snack between meals, I think that the mods suggest having a fat source like some olives or an avocado rather than a banana, because of the effect it has on your body. As far as the difference between Whole30 and Paleo, I believe the Whole30 is more about changing your relationship with food. Paleo diets allow for more flexibility, as they allow for sweeteners like honey, like you said, or maple syrup, and recreating baked goods, or having meats that are cured with sugar, and even some dairy, depending on the individual. Whole30 has a very strict set of rules and does not allow for snacking, baking, or an 80/20 mindset, at least for the 30 days. It basically gives you a clean slate to work with so you can reintroduce food groups one at a time after the 30 days are up and allow you to determine what your body likes and doesn't like and make educated decisions moving forward. Ultimately, as far as eating goes, Whole30 is a really strict version of Paleo - but it's about so much more than that!

As a side note, I was at the gym this morning and some guy I've never talked to before told me I look awesome. (Not in a creepy way, he just fist-bumped me and went, "Keep at it, girl, you look awesome!" and walked away.) Totally made my day!! :)

Like, last night we made jerk-seasoned turkey burgers with chunks of mango in them and fried plantains on top, and I ate at least two cups of potato salad and pineapple slaw

RECIPES!!!! **please** :D FOr the potato salad and slaw, specifically... I love potato salad, and I made a *lot* of complaint mayo, kind of... it turned into a runny aioli base, really, but it worked perfectly in my chicken salad, so I'm sure it will work for potato salad...

Avocados have been my go-to "snack" between lunch and dinner. With the hypoglycemia, it really is best if I either eat smaller, more frequent meals, or have a small snack between times for the main three. Avocados are perfect for me.

Also, have any of you had that issue with making mayo? Can't get it to thicken up? Any quick fixes for that? Also, what kind of oil do you use for your mayo?

Also, ALSO - awesome on the gym guy. That's how a man should compliment a woman. Cat calls are just gross. 

Day 6, everyone!!! Week 1 is almost over!

Archived