PMS/water retention

nutmegananne

Ok, I'm on day 20 of my first Whole 30 (came from a paleo background before this, though). I'm a few months shy of my 46th bday, and I typically get a constellation of PMS symptoms several days before I begin my cycle...these include sore breasts, face breakouts, water retention, mood swings/irritability, increased anxiety, food cravings, crying easily, etc. I'm in my PMS week now, and my breasts have been a bit sore...although I think not as much as usual. I am breaking out a bit, but not too bad (my skin has actually been much clearer in general since dropping dairy). Food cravings, irritability, and all the emotional stuff came out of nowhere yesterday, but still I think less than they normally do. I had food cravings for the first time in a while yesterday, and am so proud of myself for maintaining 100 percent compliance through them. I didn't even fall prey to any SWYPO stuff. I wanted chocolate but instead I got myself a small snack of protein, fat, and a little bit of fruit. I slept well, but woke up to major water retention. Bleh. Not liking how it is making me feel. I had so been enjoying the feeling of being slimmer and having my clothes fit better...now overnight I feel like that part has been erased.

I *know* it is due to my cycle, at least that's what I would think, as I've been 100 percent compliant on my Whole 30. I guess I just wonder if it's expected to still have some water retention during PMS time even when you're eating ultra-clean. Also, would love to know if there's anything I can eat or do to make it feel better (naturally, of course). I'm upping my water intake today for sure...

I feel your pain! I'm 15 days shy of my 46th bday. And still get PMS I am 33 days into Whole 30 life. I am extending it cause I have a sugar dragon I don't want to wake. I think my Pms symptoms come and go more than before an with a little less intensity. I guess I am still normalizing the hormones. Maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

46 y.o. here as well and I can tell you my experience has been similar to yours. I don't feel like I was experiencing the typical mood swings that I normally feel 2 days ahead. This could be due to also not feeding the sugar dragon that likely was causing the mood swings in the first place.

However, my clothes are all a little bit snug as they usually are this time of the month...in a size smaller than I was 24 days ago mind you. :D

I just keep drinking my water and reminding myself that this too shall pass!

Archived