Mayo Subsitute for Sauces?

jp327

So, I've tried 2-3 different mayo-based sauces, and I hate them and actually ended up tossing most of them after trying them a few times. 

Mayo just makes my stomach feel gross and gooshy. No getting around it. (Note - I made all sauces from homemade mayo, I've hated mayo for a long time but tried to be open minded with different oil combinations etc. Still hated it.) I'm aware I can just avoid mayo in some / most recipes, but several recipes call for a sauce that is BASED on mayo. That's where I run into trouble.

My question is -- for mayo-based sauces, what can I subsitute for the mayo portion and still achieve a similar sauce? 

(Please note -- I saw several topics suggesting to try different oil combinations in the mayo to make it taste better. I'm not interested in making the mayo taste better, I truly don't like it. I'm interested in how to still eat delicious sauces that require mayo!)

Balsamic reductions.  I make every flavor under the sun.  Search the forum for recipes.   I'm not a mayo person either.  I can make it but like coconut milk, it just sits there like a log on my fridge shelf.  I use the compliant balsamic vinegars...that's all on the forum, too  - how to go about using the right ones.

Laura - I guess I'm pulling a lot of my recipes from the book Well Fed 2, so they call for mayo. For instance I made a salmon cakes recipe, and it calls for either Tartar sauce or "Awesome Sauce," both of which have a mayo base. Same goes for ranch dressing.

I guess I could try coconut milk and see what happens..

• Moderators

Laura - I guess I'm pulling a lot of my recipes from the book Well Fed 2, so they call for mayo. For instance I made a salmon cakes recipe, and it calls for either Tartar sauce or "Awesome Sauce," both of which have a mayo base. Same goes for ranch dressing.

I guess I could try coconut milk and see what happens..

The sauces are not integral to a recipe -- sub in whatever kind of sauce you think would taste good. My dad hates tartar sauce, if he put any sauce on a salmon cake at all it would be ketchup. You could just eat them without sauce too.

Do you like ranch dressing in general, outside of Whole30? If not, just find other sauces and salad dressings to use instead. If you do typically like it, there's not really a truly non-mayo way to make it on Whole30, but something like this dump ranch might be different enough for you to not be bothered by it.

Archived