Can I drink apple cider and be compliant?

7th day on Whole30. Purchased and used some apple cider for a recipe in the book, now have almost a full quart left over. Can we drink this juice If fruit juices are sugar free are they compliant.

Breakfast is getting very hard. Where can I go for ideas? I need something quick and easy as three days a week I am headed out the door to make a tee time.

You can add a dash of it to your water to spice it up a bit, sure, but fruit juice as a drink is no bueno I'm afraid.

As for breakfast, it's best to start thinking in terms of meals one, two & three - that way anything you'd eat at meal three you can also eat at meal one.

Burgers with avocado work well, as do blended vegetable soups with protein (meatball or chicken drumsticks) on the side along with some mayo for dipping, korma curries.... Honestly, the options are endless.

If you Google 'Whole30 breakfasts' you'll find links to dozens of threads where breakfast has been discussed at length before  :)

if you'er in the US/Canada, then apple cider is just apple juice, and though shouldn't be drunk*, it can be used as flavouring in other recipes.

If you're in the UK, then apple cider is alcoholic, and is verboten.**

* something about drinking your nutrients, you're supposed to chew and eat food, to get the most benefit.  apple juice is processed, so could be lacking in micronutrients, or fibre etc.  as a juice it's a big sugar hit in one go, and the idea of W30 is to make the body get energy from fat, rather than sugars.  don't feed the sugar dragon!

** all alcohol is strictly off limits during W30

(but you could turn it into apple cider vinegar - which is fine!

• 1 month later...

Not sure why you can't drink apple cider? It is on the DRINKS section of the shopping list on the Whole30 website? So, why can't you drink it? Apples have sugar in them naturally so, sugar will always show up in the nutrition section, but if it says there are no added sugars and are not using concentrate, it seems to me that you can drink apple cider.

http://whole30.com/downloads/book-shopping-list.pdf

• Administrators

Not sure why you can't drink apple cider? It is on the DRINKS section of the shopping list on the Whole30 website? So, why can't you drink it? Apples have sugar in them naturally so, sugar will always show up in the nutrition section, but if it says there are no added sugars and are not using concentrate, it seems to me that you can drink apple cider.

http://whole30.com/downloads/book-shopping-list.pdf

Whole30 discourages drinking any sort of caloric beverage and juice specifically is called out in the rules as allowable for sweetening a dressing/splashing into water to freshen it up but not permitted for drinking straight.   I suppose if you really insisted on drinking this sort of thing, as an adult you would be free to do so but it is not in keeping with the spirit of the program and you will not see best possible results by bending the rules in this way.

Archived