Strength in Numbers - Lets Join Feeds for starts June 18-22, Starting 20th

EJSmadhatter

Today was kind of rough for me. This is the second day that I have added exercise. For me because of my adrenal failure that means walking and stretching. I did a brisk walk. I started not feeling well and kind of woozy.  I have been fatigued and fuzzy all day. I think I will need to do a slower walk.

I did well and stayed compliant. I have had some cravings. Checking on the one now. Ate 2 hours ago and now I am hungry. I try not to go to bed hungry because I will have difficulty falling asleep & I will usually wake up in the middle of the night and have to eat which I don’t like to do. If I don’t I wont be able to go back to sleep because of my blood sugar is too low. Need to come up with small snacks for emergencies so I am not grabbing fruit & nuts just because it is easier. Right now I would be very happy with a piece of fish and broccoli so I think I will have a small snack.

Food:

Home made pork breakfast sausage, left over mashed potatoes, and asparagus

Left over chicken veggie soup

2 Celery with almond butter

Rib eye steak, spinach, & ½ sweet potato

1oz beef sausage (home made) & ½ Avocado

I used your suggestion and had a bath last night - felt so much better, thank you!

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone,  

day 12 here and i slept well last night, i feel a bit more clear headed today, not the boundless energy or tiger blood that the timeline suggests just yet but i'm able to focus on work a bit better which is nice.

i had the pork chops and spiced apple sauce from the book last night for tea, with greens and buttery mash (i used ghee) - i can totally recommend, it was delicious!

i've had soup for breakfast (chicken and root veg) the last 2 mornings with a side of fruit which i've really enjoyed too, nice change from eggs and not too heavy first thing but fills you up till lunchtime.

if anyone has any good recipes they would recommend please share, i'd definitely recommend the pork mentioned above, and there's also a recipe for pan roasted butternut squash and sprouts in the book which i had with some roast chicken the other day - that's also really good.

next week i also intend to try these two:

http://physicalkitchness.com/paleo-tomato-basil-beef-goulash-with-eggplant/

http://wholefork.com/thai-chicken-with-spicy-peanut-sauce/

(note - the sauce isn't actually peanut, its sunflower seed butter)

Have a good day all!  :D

Well today is kind of blah. I think part of it is because I heard some horrific news last night that had rocked my world in the worst way. Not to get into too many detail but I discovered that one of my alma maters covered and expelled a student who had a relationship with a teach which ended up in a rape later on. Then how they handled the entire this is disgusting. I am very upset and angry. Usually this would have sent me off to get awful food and some cocktails. I did not though which is good. I am seriously wanting fast food right now though. I did not sleep well and am up early, 4:45am to be exact and have not been able to go back to sleep. The alumnae are now taking step, 20 years after the fact, to fix this so it does not happen again.

I am still dragging and am hoping some of that is just because of the heat and not sleeping well. I am trying to get myself acclimated to the heat because I am going back east at the end of July and that will be hot and humid.

I wish I would start feeling better. I wish my energy would start getting better. I wish a fairy would cook me breakfast and fix all my food today. Ah well. It will come and it will get better. I am hoping that I feel better than I did on the last whole 30. I know I have done a lot of damage to my body and it wont heal over night.

I am going to try a light walk today and stretching. Hopefully I will do better with that.

I am going to be gentle and kind to myself today. I am going to stay on course. I may try taking a nice hot bath but only if it is cooler today. Sorry for such a downer. I hope everyone has a great day.!!

This cracklin Chicken is great http://www.laughterandlemonade.com/cracklin-chicken-nom-nom-paleo/

1 pound of chicken thighs skin on deboned

Salt & pepper

Magic powder or any other preferred seasoning

Flatten the chicken with a meat pounder ( or cut a gas into thickest part of each thigh piece) to ensure even cooking

Salt skin side of the chicken

Put skin side down in a high heat skillet with compliant fat and sprinkle seasoning

Let the skin fry undisturbed until crispy and golden brown (about 7-10 mins) rotating the pan to 90 degrees to make sure the chicken fry's uniformly

Flip chicken to the other side and cook 3 mins til done

Transfer to a plate and let rest for 5 mins. 

Please make sure you put a platter guard over the chicken while it cooks. This is messy and grease gets on the stove and the floor. Also note don't drop the splatter guard on the floor cus it make a mess to clean up. Which is what I did.

It is delicious  

Well today is kind of blah. I think part of it is because I heard some horrific news last night that had rocked my world in the worst way. 

I wish I would start feeling better. I wish my energy would start getting better. I wish a fairy would cook me breakfast and fix all my food today. Ah well. It will come and it will get better. I am hoping that I feel better than I did on the last whole 30. I know I have done a lot of damage to my body and it wont heal over night.

I am going to be gentle and kind to myself today. I am going to stay on course. I may try taking a nice hot bath but only if it is cooler today. Sorry for such a downer. I hope everyone has a great day.!!

I am so sorry to hear you're having so much difficulty, but it does sound like you are working to take care of yourself. Hang in there - it'll get better!

if anyone has any good recipes they would recommend please share, i'd definitely recommend the pork mentioned above, and there's also a recipe for pan roasted butternut squash and sprouts in the book which i had with some roast chicken the other day - that's also really good.

Recipes... I don't recommend the salmon cakes from the book - they fell apart so easily, were effort-intensive, and it was impossible to find canned sweet potato that didn't have added sugar. I do recommend the greek salad with prosciutto - I LOVED eating that for lunch. I might have that for lunch every day the rest of the plan (unless I'm eating leftovers). Others... The red sauce with ground beef (with Italian seasoning) and spaghetti squash takes a long time but is DELICIOUS!

Here's one that works *if* you can find compliant bacon. Would be nice with a side salad.

Bacon Jalapeno Poppers

15 slices of bacon

5 chicken tenders

4 jalapenos

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Cut the tenders into thirds (normally about 2" long and 1" wide).
  3. Cut the jalapenos into quarters (long, thin pieces) and remove seeds.
  4. Wrap a chicken piece around a jalapeno slice (you'll have one extra jalapeno slice).
  5. Roll the chicken/jalapeno piece up in a strip of bacon.
  6. Use a toothpick to hold the bacon, chicken, and jalapeno in place (make a point of also piercing the jalapeno).
  7. Once all are rolled, put on a baking sheet and put in the oven.
  8. Bake 15-17 minutes (variances based on oven), turn 180 degrees, bake for another 15-17 minutes. When they're done, the bacon will look fully cooked and the jalapeno that's visible might have some brown on it.

These are flavorful and juicy - they really don't need anything else to go with them - though you'll need to add in more veggies on the side. :)

Recipes... I don't recommend the salmon cakes from the book - they fell apart so easily, were effort-intensive, and it was impossible to find canned sweet potato that didn't have added sugar. I do recommend the greek salad with prosciutto - I LOVED eating that for lunch. I might have that for lunch every day the rest of the plan (unless I'm eating leftovers). Others... The red sauce with ground beef (with Italian seasoning) and spaghetti squash takes a long time but is DELICIOUS!

Here's one that works *if* you can find compliant bacon. Would be nice with a side salad.

Bacon Jalapeno Poppers

15 slices of bacon

5 chicken tenders

4 jalapenos

4. Wrap a chicken piece around a jalapeno slice (you'll have one extra jalapeno slice).
  6. Use a toothpick to hold the bacon, chicken, and jalapeno in place (make a point of also piercing the jalapeno).
  8. Bake 15-17 minutes (variances based on oven), turn 180 degrees, bake for another 15-17 minutes. When they're done, the bacon will look fully cooked and the jalapeno that's visible might have some brown on it.

These are flavorful and juicy - they really don't need anything else to go with them - though you'll need to add in more veggies on the side. :)

Thank you! I have to say i've had the fishcakes about 3 times, i love them!! i left out the almond flour and used baked sweet potatoes, worked well that way i found.

Those poppers sound amazing, i haven't tried to find compliant bacon in the UK yet, but it's got to be somewhere!!

Day 11 - Feeling good!

I think I finally got enough sleep - woohoo! I'm feeling pretty good, normal. Nothing hurts, I'm attentive, feeling positive, maybe slightly dehydrated. Yesterday was probably the roughest day so far, so this is a very welcome change. I don't feel the tiger blood, but I do feel radiant, and I think it's noticeable? People I don't know are saying hello to me in the hallways at work.  :huh:

Update to yesterday's post about depression and Whole30 - I like to fix things, so I was kind of throwing the kitchen sink at the problem from the time I realized it was there. The more I did to fix it, the more I felt worn out, and nothing was fixed. So... I took a deep breath, and I'm just living, going about my day, appreciating the good things in my periphery. And it feels really good. I understand now why so many leaders have specific food plans that they follow - it simplifies your needs in that respect and ensures you have the nutrition your body demands. It's a relief to know that my lunch is ready to go in the refrigerator here.

Thanks to all for the encouragement and support! You guys keep me coming back for more! I'm so impressed by the hard work all of you are doing in pursuit of a better lifestyle.  :)

Here are a few new NSVs for you guys...

• My hair is shinier and softer
  • My nails are growing so fast! I already need a trim, though I just trimmed them a week ago!
  • Body temperature seems MUCH more stable (no data to back this up, just notice I'm not feeling hot-cold-hot-cold etc all of the time)
  • Dare I say... my clothes are a little looser
  • Reduced allergies (fingers crossed this continues...)

Thank you! I have to say i've had the fishcakes about 3 times, i love them!! i left out the almond flour and used baked sweet potatoes, worked well that way i found.

Those poppers sound amazing, i haven't tried to find compliant bacon in the UK yet, but it's got to be somewhere!!

Thanks for the tips on the cakes! I will have to try that!

Also - a note on the poppers - that recipe is what I make for potlucks at work. I definitely don't recommend sitting down to eat 15 of those suckers - that's a LOT of bacon!

Bacon Jalapeno Poppers

15 slices of bacon

5 chicken tenders

4 jalapenos

I'm right there with you on the salmon cakes. I was so excited about them and they were a total let-down. I believe my exact description at the time was "sad fish scones." It may be because I had to swap coconut flour for almond flour and I just did a 1:1. If I were to remake, I'd use less flour and more eggs so they stick together and have more moisture.  

As for recipes that worked, we made Lamb with mint chimichurri sauce and butternut squash "rice" last night:

http://www.gritsandchopsticks.com/the-gravy-train/2015/06/whole-30-lamb-mint-chimichurri-butternut-rice.html

It was pretty easy with the food processor and pre-cut squash (my new luxury). We could only find bone-in lamb loin chops but we did a variation on the "perfect pan-fried steak" to cook them and it turned out perfect. Definite repeater. 

We went a little crazy making a Pinterest board last night so I've got a lot more recipes to try for the next few weeks. Will report back!

As for my progress, it's Day 11 and food-wise I'm doing pretty well. I've been a bit sad/apathetic the last 2 days but I think part of it was that I'd been the cheerleader for myself and my husband while he was struggling with low-energy and all the food prep. Eventually my cheer resources got tapped. Luckily my husband seems to be coming around and he was super proactive in the kitchen about food prep last night and gave me a little post-dinner break while he did the dishes. I'm grateful to have a Whole 30 buddy (and this forum!) 

So far my main NSV is more energy in the morning. I'm still a massive caffeine addict, but seem to be pressing snooze less. I'm also not blindly snacking, which is huge for me. 

Bacon Jalapeno Poppers

15 slices of bacon

5 chicken tenders

4 jalapenos

For me I substituted mashed sweet potato because I did not want big chunks of sweet potato. 

Here's a recipe to add to your arsenal!  Made this tonight for dinner, and we devoured it.  Had it with homemade gazpacho, so there are a ton of leftovers for tomorrow!  http://www.mariamakes.com/home-1/2015/7/20/buffalo-chicken-zucchini-boats-whole30

NSV for the day: my back problems are gone.  I've had back issues for about a decade -- every 6 months or so I get a spasm so bad, it lays me out for a week and no amount of painkillers can touch the pain.  It's excruciating.  The rest of the time, my back's default setting is "stiff" -- I'm always stretching to loosen it up during the day.  The past couple of days, instead of waking up stiff as a board, I've bounded out of bed with no problem.  NONE!  I really can't believe it.  I've got a lot of physical activity on tap for this weekend, so we'll see if the stiffness continues to hold off...  :)

Here's a recipe to add to your arsenal!  Made this tonight for dinner, and we devoured it.  Had it with homemade gazpacho, so there are a ton of leftovers for tomorrow!  http://www.mariamakes.com/home-1/2015/7/20/buffalo-chicken-zucchini-boats-whole30

NSV for the day: my back problems are gone.  I've had back issues for about a decade -- every 6 months or so I get a spasm so bad, it lays me out for a week and no amount of painkillers can touch the pain.  It's excruciating.  The rest of the time, my back's default setting is "stiff" -- I'm always stretching to loosen it up during the day.  The past couple of days, instead of waking up stiff as a board, I've bounded out of bed with no problem.  NONE!  I really can't believe it.  I've got a lot of physical activity on tap for this weekend, so we'll see if the stiffness continues to hold off...  :)

That is wonderful news! I am excited for you!

Thank you for the lovely looking recipes team! 

Those who have had failure with the fichcakes though, i say stick in there, i honestly think they're so good! 

MidModJenn great news about your back :)

I saw my boyfriend last night and we usually get takeaway but bless him, he's been good while i'm doing this! we went to the shop to buy some food to make, and he's walking round going "Can you have this...?" "What about this...?" to which i had to say no every time haha! but he was a star and he grilled some chicken and bok choy both marinated with ginger, lemongrass, chilli, garlic, lemon and oil, and then made potatoes by putting some hot oil in a pan and steaming them with the lid on, then finished them off with garlic, salt and dill. it was all so tasty! we had some cherries too as they are in season here at the minute and taste so so so good!!

really enjoying fruit since giving up the sweets, trying not to eat toooo much of it, i know the book recommends about 2 portions alongside meals a day so normally sticking to that. i didn't eat that much of it in the first week but have eaten a lot more of it this week, both with meals and using as part of recipes. I found i'm craving fruit sometimes, not sweets or chocolate, just actual fruit. Not sure if this is a good thing or not but i'm definitely happy i can say no to biscuits and things now without a second thought!

NSV for yesterday, i put on a dress last night that's been a wee bit tight for a while and it fit so much better!! 

Have a great day everyone :)

Hi everyone,

this is more directed at moderators but any input from you all is always appreciated :)

so it's day 12 and i'm still not seeing massive benefits yet, as i've mentioned in my post above, clothes are fitting better which is good and i'm starting to see a small amount of muscle definition from my training which i haven't for a while so i'm happy about that.

Whilst i'm finding it easier to get up and i am a little more focused at work, i'm still suffering with brain fog, tiredness, headaches, etc. my nails are also snapping/splitting a tonne more than prior to W30 which i find strange. I'm really thirsty too!

Prior to the W30 i was pretty healthy i would have said, i'd avoid "low fat" things laden with sugar, eat lots of protein and a good amount of fat, already drank black coffee and about 2-3 litres of water a day, not a huge alcohol drinker (maybe 2 nights a week of a beer or two, couple of glasses of wine - i did used to drink a lot when i was younger but i hate hangovers now!!) with food, i would just have my splurges, i.e. chocolate, a takeaway pizza, etc so i did think coming into this i would feel better by now because i was already okay-ish... Maybe i wasn't as healthy as i thought!

i'm wondering whether this is to do with what i'm eating, i'll copy the last 5 days here:

Monday: melissa's chicken hash banana with cashew butter & coconut / Chicken, pomegranate, pesto & Avocado salad / fish with butternut squash and sprouts

Tuesday: leftover chicken hash, banana with cashew butter & coconut / Chicken,pomegranate & pesto salad, handful of cashews / turkey mince lettuce fajhita wraps with potato wedges, salsa & avo, cherries, mayo

Wednesday: Chicken & roast root Veg soup, 1/2 avo, berries / Tuna & Egg Salad, vinegar and olive oil dressing, banana & almonds /Pork chops, spiced apple sauce, veg & potatoes  (from the book)

Thursday:  Chicken & roast root Veg soup, berries /  turkey mince fajhita leftovers with wedges & salad, salsa & mayo,1 banana  / parma ham, olives & artichokes. Chicken & bok choi and potatoes. cherries

Friday: Chicken & roast root Veg soup, 1 banana / cottage pie (from the book), green veg, berries / Leftover Pork chops, apple sauce, veg & potatoes

the above meals aren't including post workout chicken & sweet potato which i've been adding, the pesto and mayo are homemade too. this week i've eaten a lot more fruit than last week and i'm probably still eating more nuts/nut butter than i should as i have snacked a bit this week. I wonder if that could be negatively affecting me and if i was to cut right back on those next week i may see an improvement??

i think instead of sides of fruit i might start adding in additional sides of veg like cucumber, peppers. Sadly we don't have jicama here :( suggestions appreciated!

i've had quite a carb heavy week this week too, but i work out around 4-5 times a week so i think that should be okay?

Are my meals okay? could i make changes?? 

Thanks!

NSV for the day: my back problems are gone.  I've had back issues for about a decade -- every 6 months or so I get a spasm so bad, it lays me out for a week and no amount of painkillers can touch the pain.  It's excruciating.  The rest of the time, my back's default setting is "stiff" -- I'm always stretching to loosen it up during the day.  The past couple of days, instead of waking up stiff as a board, I've bounded out of bed with no problem.  NONE!  I really can't believe it.  I've got a lot of physical activity on tap for this weekend, so we'll see if the stiffness continues to hold off...   :)

Yum

Day 12 - Feeling super "smiley" today, which might be harmful to my health (when my coworkers get tired of my enthusiasm and beat me).  :P  Just kidding, they're great!

Feeling good! I'm looking forward to getting to sleep in my own bed this weekend - hoping I will sleep longer and better! My first meal outside of what I cooked myself was last night, at Chipotle, and it was tasty. Yes, they've had issues with food poisoning in recent memory, but they do serve well-sourced food and are very transparent about their ingredients. I worked for Chipotle at one point and have been a big fan for over 15 years, so... not surprising it was my first meal out.

Whole30-friendly eating at Chipotle

Some notes about how to eat here and stay compliant.

• Compliant foods: Carnitas, guacamole, lettuce, tomatillo-green chili salsa, tomatillo-red chili salsa, tomato salsa (this is really pico de gallo)
  • My meal: Carnitas, guacamole, lettuce, green salsa, pico (in a bowl, NOT in a tortilla, and spicy but delicious)
  • Concerning lettuce: You can go for the thin strips at the end of the line next to the guac or ask for the salad-cut lettuce at the front of the line. Just don't get the dressing!
  • Why other meats aren't compliant: They include rice bran oil  :(
  • Things to watch for: The line where the food is prepared is prone to cross-contamination, especially if the on-duty Kitchen Manager is not on the ball and keeping the line crew in line. IE... you order carnitas, and you somehow get a piece of chicken as well. You order guac and get a shred of cheese. And so on... If you see cross-contamination, it's okay to (respectfully) call it out and ask to be reportioned or given something fresh out of the cooler below the line. Or just simply remove the offensive article, when possible. Chipotle has extremely high standards for the presentation and preparation of their food (though not necessarily Whole30-compliant), and their leadership takes it personally when the line looks like a mess. Especially with all of what's been going on for them recently.
  • Ingredients list available onlinehttps://chipotle.com/ingredient-statement

I hope everyone is having a good day!

Day 12!  I've been feeling great, BUT my sleep average according to my FitBit has only been around 6 hours. I think that it is catching up to me because I'm tired, really tired.  I have been feeling so energized all week that I haven't been going to bed till after midnight and I get up around 6:30a.m.. So I must be more disciplined on the sleep thing.

Yesterday was a super challenge food wise. For some reason I wanted BREAD and chips.  My sweet daughter got out some roasted pumpkin seeds and we at a seed and raisin mix.  I made it through the Bread craving without a slip up. I was so thankful this morning!  Odd that way how I've never wished I HAD eaten something but I am grateful when i haven't.

Weekend.... Holiday weekend!!!!  Cook outs, hotdogs, chips, beautiful desserts   Help Help Help!  Any ideas how to sale through these special family times without succumbing to banana pudding and a grilled dog?

Congrats on beating the craving! And you and me both on the sleep. I'm excited to spend some time this weekend resetting. :)

Weekend.... Holiday weekend!!!!  Cook outs, hotdogs, chips, beautiful desserts   Help Help Help!  Any ideas how to sale through these special family times without succumbing to banana pudding and a grilled dog?

Bring a steak and ask 'em to toss it on the grill for you! Before you know it, you'll be the one with the coveted food. Bring a big watermelon to share for dessert. If you have the Whole30 book, there's a really delicious Greek salad in there that would be a great replacement for less Whole30-compliant (but more holiday-popular) salads usually seen at barbecues. Make enough to share, and others will beg you for the recipe.

Staggolee41 - thanks SO much for the Chipotle tips!  I thought I was going to have to stay away completely...  good to know it's still an option if I need to stop for lunch while I'm out and about.

Kate - I'm on day 12 and my energy/altertness took a dip today...  the book says it takes some of us longer than others to level out, so I'd say be patient.  You're doing great!

50andup - we have a BBQ to go to on Sunday, and we offered to bring potato salad...  we'll make it with compliant mayo, and no-one will be the wiser.  :)  Potato salad is a huge weakness of mine at cookouts, so bringing a version that works will help me feel less deprived.  So that, a burger (without the bun), and some fruit and I'll be a happy camper.

• Moderators

Hi everyone,

this is more directed at moderators but any input from you all is always appreciated :)

so it's day 12 and i'm still not seeing massive benefits yet, as i've mentioned in my post above, clothes are fitting better which is good and i'm starting to see a small amount of muscle definition from my training which i haven't for a while so i'm happy about that.

Whilst i'm finding it easier to get up and i am a little more focused at work, i'm still suffering with brain fog, tiredness, headaches, etc. my nails are also snapping/splitting a tonne more than prior to W30 which i find strange. I'm really thirsty too!

Prior to the W30 i was pretty healthy i would have said, i'd avoid "low fat" things laden with sugar, eat lots of protein and a good amount of fat, already drank black coffee and about 2-3 litres of water a day, not a huge alcohol drinker (maybe 2 nights a week of a beer or two, couple of glasses of wine - i did used to drink a lot when i was younger but i hate hangovers now!!) with food, i would just have my splurges, i.e. chocolate, a takeaway pizza, etc so i did think coming into this i would feel better by now because i was already okay-ish... Maybe i wasn't as healthy as i thought!

i'm wondering whether this is to do with what i'm eating, i'll copy the last 5 days here:

Monday: melissa's chicken hash banana with cashew butter & coconut / Chicken, pomegranate, pesto & Avocado salad / fish with butternut squash and sprouts

Tuesday: leftover chicken hash, banana with cashew butter & coconut / Chicken,pomegranate & pesto salad, handful of cashews / turkey mince lettuce fajhita wraps with potato wedges, salsa & avo, cherries, mayo

Wednesday: Chicken & roast root Veg soup, 1/2 avo, berries / Tuna & Egg Salad, vinegar and olive oil dressing, banana & almonds /Pork chops, spiced apple sauce, veg & potatoes  (from the book)

Thursday:  Chicken & roast root Veg soup, berries /  turkey mince fajhita leftovers with wedges & salad, salsa & mayo,1 banana  / parma ham, olives & artichokes. Chicken & bok choi and potatoes. cherries

Friday: Chicken & roast root Veg soup, 1 banana / cottage pie (from the book), green veg, berries / Leftover Pork chops, apple sauce, veg & potatoes

the above meals aren't including post workout chicken & sweet potato which i've been adding, the pesto and mayo are homemade too. this week i've eaten a lot more fruit than last week and i'm probably still eating more nuts/nut butter than i should as i have snacked a bit this week. I wonder if that could be negatively affecting me and if i was to cut right back on those next week i may see an improvement??

i think instead of sides of fruit i might start adding in additional sides of veg like cucumber, peppers. Sadly we don't have jicama here :( suggestions appreciated!

i've had quite a carb heavy week this week too, but i work out around 4-5 times a week so i think that should be okay?

Are my meals okay? could i make changes?? 

Thanks!

Hey there;

You do seem to eat a lot of fruits and nuts/nut butters. The fact that you have to snack tells me you're not eating enough.

It's hard to tell from the way you listed out your meals but are you getting 1-2 palms (your own palm's thickness x width x length) of protein, 1-3 cups of veg (non starchy) and added fat in the template recommendations? Added fat is over and above your cooking fat. If you want starchy veg like sweet potato, that's totally fine, the recommendation is a fist sized serving daily. Headache, brainfog and tiredness are all signs you are not eating enough and while your meals sound tasty, if the quantities are not matching the template, then it's not sufficient.

As far as being thirsty, our recommendation is 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight... are you getting that?

Take a look at your meals and honestly determine if they match the template or not. I also agree with your assessment that you should cut out the fruit and nuts and add in veggies. Nuts and their butters are meant to be limited (think a closed handful of nuts every other day at most).

You could try backing off your starchy veg to one meal a day and see how that goes... if it starts to affect your mood or energy, then add another serving back in.

I just wanted to share a victory with you guys. I had to attend a work event this afternoon, complete with free food. My team is all around me, drinking beer, offering me mac'n'cheese egg rolls, sliders, tater tots, nachos... I said no to everything and still had a good time. :D

Also had a funny "you know you're a Whole30er when..." moment: my sister's low-carb diet guidelines as given to her by her doctor are posted on the refrigerator at her house. One line says, "Salad dressing is okay, but not low-fat versions - they have sugar." LOL - most of the regular ones do, too! Also listed as okay: jerky. Do they know only like 1% of jerky available for purchase is sugar-free?

Archived