Cooking grass-fed beef during pregnancy

My doctor is recommending that I cook all of my beef to well done due to the risk of toxoplasmosis. Most information I find online says to avoid "undercooked or raw meat." I asked my doctor point blank if "undercooked" means medium cooked beef (pink in the middle, ~150 degree temp), and she responded that it's best to cook the meat until there is no blood and the juices are clear (i.e. well done).

The idea of purchasing grass-fed beef and then cooking it well done is horrifying to me. Apart from the fact that well done steak tastes terrible, it's a complete waste of money to invest in good quality beef and then overcook it.

What are others in this forum doing to deal with this? Is eating medium cooked beef (pink in the middle, ~150 degree temp) still dangerous even when it's grass-fed? Are you all burning your expensive grass-fed beef and choking it down for the sake of your baby?

• Moderators

Can you do ground beef for your red meat consumption?

The Whole30 does not require that you eat grass fed meat... you're expected to do the best you can with your own context, budget and specific limitations and if I was you, I would probably skip the grass fed steak if I had to cook it to well done.

No one here will tell you to go against your doctors orders for how to cook the meat altho I'm sure with a little googling, you can do some research on your own and see what your own risk tolerance is.... I would also ask that doctor if this counts for the full pregnancy or just the first trimester...

Right, I realize we don't have to eat grass-fed. But my point is that well done steak from any cow and at any price is just not palatable and a waste of money.

I'm considering just cutting out steaks, tri tips, etc. and switching to ground beef, roasts, short ribs, and similar cuts that can be cooked all the way through in the slow cooker or pressure cooker. This will take more time to cook since I usually just throw steaks on the grill.

I guess pregnant women just don't eat nice cuts of beef? I'm just curious if there are other women here who are struggling with this change, and if so, what they're doing about it.

• Moderators

Oh, okay... a lot of people come to Whole30 with the incorrect assumption that we police grass fed/organic and we definitely don't put that kind of stress on people... I would not eat a medium steak let alone well done, so yes, if you're in the same camp, I would definitely think that maybe steaks are out... I would still suggest a little research to see if this is critical for the whole pregnancy...

Hopefully you get some feedback from other people in your situation (as I am not pregnant).. congrats btw ;)

I ate one steak my first pregnancy and none my second. Well done just isn't palatable. My beef consumption was mostly burgers, not gonna lie. But you can definitely google the risks of eating lesser done meats and decide for yourself if risks outweigh the benefits.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Preface: In general I am not a big believer in US "preventative medicine" and the usual guidelines coming out for Americans... so I suppose this blends into my views on pregnancy advice as well.  

I found this article somewhat stress relieving:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323514404578652091268307904

I'm 12 weeks in to P2 after a miscarriage in the fall.  Now, this is just my n=1 but we were able to find out the reason for the m/c - it was trisomy 15.  It wasn't that I continued to crossfit, drank coffee, slept too little or any of the other things I did or did not do while pregnant.  The little lady was just put together wrong.  Women carried babies to term during the Holocaust, during wars, presently in countries torn apart by things we can hardly imagine.  Is medium well beef going to do you in....? Probably not.  At least in my opinion.  

I've had deli meat this pregnancy.  I've had medium cooked burgers.  I've eaten my more melons than I can count (but, I do wash them now before cutting them :) ).  I've had coffee every morning and sips of beer while my husband taunted me with my favorite IPAs.  I even ate my own homemade mayo (with raw egg!).  Is your beef from a reputable source?  Is it reasonably fresh?  Have you tried to not leave it sitting out on the counter for 8 hours?  I'd say go ahead and enjoy it :)

Don't forget - lots of women had healthy pregnancies way before modern medicine got involved.  

But, at the end of the day, what your doctor says is what your doctor says... and you comfort level is your comfort level.  If eating a medium steak is going to give you anxiety... enjoy your slow cooker beef for the next few months.  You can be the one lady who doesn't ask for a turkey sandwich after delivering - you can get steak tartare!

• Moderators

I'm 12 weeks in to P2 after a miscarriage in the fall.  Now, this is just my n=1 but we were able to find out the reason for the m/c - it was trisomy 15.  It wasn't that I continued to crossfit, drank coffee, slept too little or any of the other things I did or did not do while pregnant.  The little lady was just put together wrong.  Women carried babies to term during the Holocaust, during wars, presently in countries torn apart by things we can hardly imagine.  Is medium well beef going to do you in....? Probably not.  At least in my opinion.  

Hey Littleg!

Just wanted to say congrats on the pregnancy and that I'm so glad that you guys found out what caused the m/c last time... I imagine that brought quite a bit of peace to your soul :)

Thanks Sugarcube!  The results were like this huge weight lifted off my shoulders.  

Hoping to make it all the way to the end this time :)  And home too... as a NICU nurse I know all too well that not all parents come home with their babies :(  

My advice to anyone looking to get pregnant - don't become a NICU nurse first!  ;)

Thanks Sugarcube! The results were like this huge weight lifted off my shoulders.

Hoping to make it all the way to the end this time :) And home too... as a NICU nurse I know all too well that not all parents come home with their babies :(

My advice to anyone looking to get pregnant - don't become a NICU nurse first! ;)

I have mad respect for y'all. My daughter was a NICU baby (perfect storm of diabetes that wasn't caught earlier on and c-section) and I might've lost my mind if it weren't for the nurses. :)

I'm glad you had a good experience in the NICU.  Its a tough time for families... its always nice to hear that about RNs making the whole ordeal easier for families!

Archived