Seasonal allergies or....

Okay, so first time Whole30er and I am on day 12 (surprisingly it has flown by!) Things have gone pretty smoothly so far (aside from the killer headache in week 1), but prior to Whole30 I had a pesky postnasal drip which caused me to have to clear my throat fairly often.  I was hoping that the Whole30 might help this, but I've noticed that it hasn't gotten any better, and may very well be worse! So from what I've read it could be caused from foods I'm eating and that there are low-histamine foods I could try...though I would hate to give up my eggs :( I'm only eating eggs at one meal and I am having this issue all day long.

I'm curious for those who have had relief in allergies from the Whole30, how long did it take for your body to get better? I am not quite halfway, so maybe my body just hasn't repaired itself yet?  And then on a side note: does anyone suggest any relief ideas for allergies? I hate taking any sort of anti-histamine medication because it knocks me out and makes me miss grumpy pants, so I'm open to alternative solutions.  Thanks in advance!

Are you taking birth control pills by an chance? I know that elevated oestrogen levels can sometimes result in PND and a simple change in pill may then provide relief.

That said diary is one of the key allergens effecting eyes, ears, nose & throat (& in turn mucosal production), and some people DO see improvement in symptoms effecting these areas in the 30 days, but if you believe it to stem from allergies and you see no improvement in 30days then an AIP Whole30 might be the way to go, with a very careful reintroduction period.

I'd certainly be keen to pinpoint the cause rather than just masking the issue.

@Karen_Suep, I will look into NetiPot. I believe we have one laying around the house, we just need the distilled water for it.

@jmcbn, I am not taking the pill. I do however battle estrogen dominance (I've been diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis and luteal phase defect, resulting in low progesterone levels.) That's interesting that you mentioned how oestrogen levels can result in PND, I've never heard of that before. I'm off to go research that some more! I used to never have PND issues until about 10 years ago, so I'm wondering if it could be a result of the increased estradiol levels in my blood. In fact, the whole purpose of going on the Whole30 was to help balance my hormones more. I'll look into the AIP Whole30 too, thanks!

Archived