I'm on Day 18 of my Whole 30. I started with the overall goal of getting my hormones in balance and cleaning my gut - all brought to my attention by my struggle with adult acne. 

I started taking a fish oil supplement at the beginning of my second week. I do eat a lot of grass-fed meats and pastured eggs, but I do not eat any fish and eat out weekly, so I've been supplementing with about 2.5 grams of fish oil per day. Since I started taking the supplement, my breakouts have been horrible. Bigger cystic breakouts than what I've been having on parts of my face that weren't breaking out initially. 

Towards the end of It Starts with Food when they discuss supplements, they mention taking a GLA supplement if fish oil makes you break out. I've also been reading through the Clear Skin Diet, which recommends taking fermented cod liver oil instead, as it has a smaller dosage, as well as Vitamins A and D (which are good for skin). My question is, why does fish oil make some people break out? Is it because of the imbalanced ratio of Omega 3:6? If so, should I just ride it out? Or lower my dosage and work up? Or, is my body just still detoxing? I'm fully prepared to extend to a Whole 45 or 60 if needed.

One more note, if it matters - before I had not had any fermented foods in my diet, and have been drinking GT's Kombucha several times a week to introduce probiotics into my system. 

Any help, advise, or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

• Moderators

We generally recommend that people don't start experimenting with random supplements on their whole30 that they dont' regularly take.  In your case, I would suggest that you ditch the fish oil and dont' replace it with anything for now.  Your body goes through a lot when it detoxes and adding random bits and bobs in is going to complicate things because you will have no idea what caused the reaction.

My recommendation if acne is your biggest concern right now is extend to a Whole45 without the supplements. 25 days without fishoil is not going to do you any harm.  Once you're done your WholeXX and you're happy with your skin, and how you feel and you've done the re-introductions that you want, then I would go back to the fish oil and see what happens.

• Administrators

Nuts can also cause problems for your skin if you are prone to issues.

Are you eating a lot of nuts?  Ghee, although it has most of the milk solids removed, can also cause problems for people who are very sensitive.

I am not - I've only had nuts a few times since I've started! I just purchased Ghee the other day and have only used it twice - I've been using Avocado, Olive, and Coconut Oil/Butter. 

I will ditch the fish oil and continue with the diet!

Archived