What to make with coconut aminos?

Hi all! I'm looking for some ideas for coconut aminos.

I bought a $10 bottle on Amazon thinking I would use it a lot for stir fry and chicken lettuce wraps. I've tried it once over shrimp and broccoli stir fry and it was pretty disgusting. I actually threw my food away and made a different dinner. It was so sweet and nothing like soy sauce.

Does anyone have any recipes or ideas that you can share with me. I really don't want to waste the whole bottle

• Moderators

Hi, laurenco26 -- I've deleted the other thread you started on this same topic, it had no replies yet. Please don't cross post the same content in different places on the forum.

As for the coconut aminos, I'm inclined to say, if you don't like them, to the point where you threw away food, you may just want to toss them, rather than waste  the money you spent on all the other ingredients in a dish just to end up throwing that out -- at some point, you'll have wasted more than $10 of other food doing that over and over again. If you think it may be that you used too much of them (I don't think it's really a straight 1-1 switch for soy sauce) you could try again, adding small amounts of them at a time to your stir fry, and then tasting and adjusting to figure out how much you do like.  A little extra salt might help it seem less sweet as well.

If you really want to try them again, I'd go with something like the Sunshine Sauce.

You can always just stick the bottle in the fridge and keep an eye out for recipes you want to try in the future, it should keep for a very long time.

• Administrators

Here you go, this was just posted on Whole30recipes on Insta and she specifically says that the coconut aminos in her dressing makes the recipe!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BH4_XIHjnUt/?taken-by=whole30recipes 

I don't buy it and can't be bothered, personally.  Did it once, never felt I needed to try it again.  :)

Here you go, this was just posted on Whole30recipes on Insta and she specifically says that the coconut aminos in her dressing makes the recipe!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BH4_XIHjnUt/?taken-by=whole30recipes

I don't buy it and can't be bothered, personally. Did it once, never felt I needed to try it again. :)

Thank you. That looks good! I'll try it out and definitely won't be buying another bottle. Unfortunately it was one of the things on the shopping list I though I could use and I was wrong ☹️

Hi, laurenco26 -- I've deleted the other thread you started on this same topic, it had no replies yet. Please don't cross post the same content in different places on the forum.

As for the coconut aminos, I'm inclined to say, if you don't like them, to the point where you threw away food, you may just want to toss them, rather than waste the money you spent on all the other ingredients in a dish just to end up throwing that out -- at some point, you'll have wasted more than $10 of other food doing that over and over again. If you think it may be that you used too much of them (I don't think it's really a straight 1-1 switch for soy sauce) you could try again, adding small amounts of them at a time to your stir fry, and then tasting and adjusting to figure out how much you do like. A little extra salt might help it seem less sweet as well.

If you really want to try them again, I'd go with something like the Sunshine Sauce.

You can always just stick the bottle in the fridge and keep an eye out for recipes you want to try in the future, it should keep for a very long time.

Thanks. I'll try that sauce too. I wasn't a fan of the sunbutter either so maybe I can use both up with this sauce

Do you m mind sharing what brand you buy? I couldn't find any almond butter that didn't have sugar.

I found plain Justin's or Costco's brand doesn't have added sugar. Some stores have a grind your own and they shouldn't have sugar either but I don't know for sure that it'll be compliant.

• Moderators

Do you m mind sharing what brand you buy? I couldn't find any almond butter that didn't have sugar.

I usually buy either Maranatha or Artisana brands, I think I've seen some others too. There are other nut butter options out there that would probably work too, but almond butter is one that I like the taste of enough to use it, but am not so enamored of it that I eat it straight from the jar. I had to not buy any more cashew butter because it was definitely food without brakes for me.

If you have a food processor, you can make your own from either raw or roasted almonds (or any nuts or seeds) -- put them in the food processor and just blitz them til they're as creamy or chunky as you like. Depending on your particular model, you might have to stop and start a few times, just pay attention, scrape down the sides if they need it, and don't burn out your motor.  You may be able to do it with something like a Ninja type blender, as well.

Archived