Starting Whole30 on July 25th!

Earoti

@emmers and @MuseM thank you for your well wishes. :wub:

The pain meds are really strong wow. Some nausea and not eating as per the template. 

@Carli I think tomatoes are fine. I definitely am very sensitive to lots of avocado and I think some people can have an allergy to it..?  Play around with the fodmaps. A big thing for me was not having lots in the one meal. In the beginning I was having mushrooms, avocado, and sweet potato (borderline fodmap) for breakfast and the combo was really causing some digestive distress. 

I'm going to do a bit of reflecting and i'll report some NSV's tomorrow.. 

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, ExpatElle said:

@emmers and @MuseM thank you for your well wishes. :wub:

The pain meds are really strong wow. Some nausea and not eating as per the template. 

@Carli I think tomatoes are fine. I definitely am very sensitive to lots of avocado and I think some people can have an allergy to it..?  Play around with the fodmaps. A big thing for me was not having lots in the one meal. In the beginning I was having mushrooms, avocado, and sweet potato (borderline fodmap) for breakfast and the combo was really causing some digestive distress. 

I'm going to do a bit of reflecting and i'll report some NSV's tomorrow.. 

Thanks ExpatElle - really helpful.  I have a horrible tummy pains at the moment so will definitely take on the advice.   I hope your back gets much better very quickly - must be awful being in so much pain with the meds disrupting how you can eat.

1 hour ago, Carli said:

Does anyone know if cooked tomatoes / passata also counts as high FODMAP? 

If it's just chopped tinned tomatoes you're using you should be fine. I'd hold off on using any kind of paste/puree though as they tend to be high in fructse/fructans.

Take a look at >this list< (about half way down the page - the article at the top is a good read too...) and stick to the foods on the green side, with the occasional amber/yellow and you should do much better if FODMAPs are the issue.

Hope this helps :)

We made it to Day 29!!  Sorry I haven't posted lately.  With my family in town, I haven't had a minute.

My sister was quite impressed that I did not go off program while she was here.  And, she didn't try to derail me, which was good.  When I was able to fully explain the program to her, she understood better.

Yesterday was super tough.  I broke up with my boyfriend and am going through some heartbreak.  I really wanted wine yesterday, but resisted.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to eat anything until about 8 p.m. last night.  I managed to get it down, but only ate about 1/4 of my breakfast this morning.  Getting my lunch down now as we speak.  

Really looking forward to a glass of wine on Wednesday after work.  I'm going to be fully compliant with food and just reintroduce the wine first.  I'm going to the beach this weekend with some girlfriends and have already started that meal planning.  

It will be good to get away.

I hope everyone has a good next two days.  We're almost there.

@Gigi In NOLA I feel for you! Sending lots of love.

I am sure this wasn't easy but maybe this will be your biggest NSV.... loosing 180 pounds or there abouts. I wonder if this program helped you see that the relationship wasn't right for you? 

Break ups are never easy but now you get to move forward to something better and hopefully very positive.

The meal planning will be a good distraction in the mean time.

Take care and I look forward to hearing your NSV's.

@ExpatElle, thank you for the love!  I went and walked 2 and a half miles after work.  Cried through it, but now I feel better.  Still not really feeling like eating, but managed to get down a chicken sausage and some sweet potatoes.  

I feel holding out until Wednesday for wine is making me strong thus continuing to be strong to get through the sadness.  I go through spurts.  I just have to make it past this sadness.  I'm very glad I am doing this because it gives me a purpose and even though I'm sad and depressed, I have something to focus on and not just wallow in the pain of losing him.  

In addition, I've been sleeping better, so I was able to get a decent night's sleep last night in spite of everything.  

Just one more day to power through - I'm confident we can all do it!

Thank you again for the encouraging words and support! :)

17 hours ago, jmcbn said:

If it's just chopped tinned tomatoes you're using you should be fine. I'd hold off on using any kind of paste/puree though as they tend to be high in fructse/fructans.

Take a look at >this list< (about half way down the page - the article at the top is a good read too...) and stick to the foods on the green side, with the occasional amber/yellow and you should do much better if FODMAPs are the issue.

Hope this helps :)

This is brilliant thank you.  I had horrible tummy pains all afternoon and evening and struggled to eat my third meal and today I have a hideous headache.  My tummy feels a bit better though.  I think I have a FODMAP free day and will adjust the shopping list for next week accordingly to start working out which ingredient(s) are bothering me.  I was doing really well and last week introduced giant mushrooms to breakfast ( on top of avocado and sweet potato) so that is where I am going to start.  A food intolerance test some years ago had mushrooms on my 'do not eat' list - there's another hint for me!!  Thanks for the advice. :D

6 hours ago, Gigi In NOLA said:

@ExpatElle, thank you for the love!  I went and walked 2 and a half miles after work.  Cried through it, but now I feel better.  Still not really feeling like eating, but managed to get down a chicken sausage and some sweet potatoes.  

I feel holding out until Wednesday for wine is making me strong thus continuing to be strong to get through the sadness.  I go through spurts.  I just have to make it past this sadness.  I'm very glad I am doing this because it gives me a purpose and even though I'm sad and depressed, I have something to focus on and not just wallow in the pain of losing him.  

In addition, I've been sleeping better, so I was able to get a decent night's sleep last night in spite of everything.  

Just one more day to power through - I'm confident we can all do it!

Thank you again for the encouraging words and support! :)

So sorry to hear about the breakup Gigi but it sounds like you have inner strength on your side.  It's important to keep pushing through and doing this for you and no one else.  Sending enormous amounts of positive vibes across the pond! :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Carli said:

This is brilliant thank you.  I had horrible tummy pains all afternoon and evening and struggled to eat my third meal and today I have a hideous headache.  My tummy feels a bit better though.  I think I have a FODMAP free day and will adjust the shopping list for next week accordingly to start working out which ingredient(s) are bothering me.  I was doing really well and last week introduced giant mushrooms to breakfast ( on top of avocado and sweet potato) so that is where I am going to start.  A food intolerance test some years ago had mushrooms on my 'do not eat' list - there's another hint for me!!  Thanks for the advice. :D

Carli this is not pleasant :( Are you thinking of extending? Have you seen the autoimmune protocol? http://www.thepaleomom.com/the-autoimmune-protocol/ I read about it on this blog. 

ok ladies I really quickly jotted down these dot points and I'm going to paste them below. Originally I really wanted to lose those last 10 pounds *eyeroll* but I've realized that this program is much more than that. I'm feeling some relief in my back but I still look ridiculously twisted. And constipated from the opioids ... awesome! TMI I know sorry! Hope everyone has a great last day; thank you to each and everyone of you for your support. 

NSV

Emotional

stabilized moods

my self talk has been a little kinder with not some much emphasis on my weight

Less bad day or good day based on the scales

Food freedom - no sugar rewards or celebration

Not using alcohol as a crux when there is a problem or driving straight into alcohol as a celebration 

Physical 

Skin looks really clear

Stomach is less bloated 

Bowel is happy

Energy 

I am running on about 6 hours of sleep - don’t seem to need anymore

Less tired

My back hates me - I think I need to change the way I work out. More pilates and yoga rather than this lift heavy ‘beast mode’ business 

Environmental 

So pleased about my reduced impact on the environment 

I bought less pre packaged foods and no condiments, pastes, sauces therefore less waste 

Other

Tried new recipes and new vegetables

Made homemade mayonnaise and it tastes amazing and so easy to do

My big take away

A lot of women would love to be my size. I’m already slim and healthy. I can walk into any shop and get something that will fit. The size of the clothing doesn’t matter and how much I weigh doesn’t matter. What matters is nourishing my body so that it can function at 100%. Starving myself to be at high school weight does not matter!!!! 

Honestly, I did not think I would make it to Day 30 when I started this, but here I am!  I consider that a NSV in itself!  Feeling good about today and completing the program.  All meals are planned and the energy is good.  

Had a tough HIIT Cardio workout this morning and afterwards I felt great!  I will take my measurements tomorrow after my morning workout.  I am not weighing myself until Thursday (I made my friend take my scale from me and I won't see her until Thursday evening).  I do think I have lost weight, but that's not the important thing.  Today, I'm feeling I look better and am wearing a shirt that I haven't worn in a while because I thought it was too tight.  Today, I'm liking the way it looks on me! :D

I'm checking off my NSVs in the materials provided.  I'm checking off a lot!

I hope everyone has an awesome last day.  And thank you to all for your support - it has meant the world and allowed me to succeed in this.  I hope to do another Whole30 in a few weeks.  I will, however, keep eating this way with the occasional indulgences.  And, I may or may not bring all foods back in.  At this point, I'm not craving sugar, pasta, bread, beans, dairy or processed foods.  

We're almost there....we did it!!

Happy Eating, Y'all!

One more meal to go! I can't believe how quick the 30 days have gone. Didn't get the NSV's that I wanted but happy that I saw it through to the end (well apart from one little slip!) I've put a bottle of wine in the fridge to chill and looking forward to a nice glass tomorrow evening :) 

20 hours ago, ExpatElle said:

Carli this is not pleasant :( Are you thinking of extending? Have you seen the autoimmune protocol? http://www.thepaleomom.com/the-autoimmune-protocol/ I read about it on this blog. 

Yes I've decided to extend and my husband is feeling great and wants to stick to the general principles anyway.  I've just started to discover the autoimmune protocol - wish I had found it sooner!  Thanks for the article - I will read it now.  

I just saw your post of all the benefits - amazing what you've (and everyone else) achieved.  I was particularly interested in the sleep though.  Only 6 hours?  9 hours I need and still wake up feeling like I need more sleep.  There was a bit of an improvement part way through the 30 days but the last week I seem to have slipped back into lethargy and feeling drained.   My tummy this morning after breakfast (bacon, kale & butternut squash soup with a fried egg) feels quite bloated and painful again but high up and only on the left side. Strange.  I did have a coffee straight afterwards too.  

One of the biggest benefits I have noticed for me is less joint pain and stabilized moods and I have a much better understanding of what a balanced diet means and how much food has added sugar in it.  I have also just come off the anti-depressants so to feel mood-balanced is amazing.

I did get on the scales on this morning out of sheer curiosity and I've lost 1kg (so 54kg now) and 3% body fat (22% now).  I didn't start this food plan for weight loss but wanted to know what impact it had!

20 hours ago, ExpatElle said:

ok ladies I really quickly jotted down these dot points and I'm going to paste them below. Originally I really wanted to lose those last 10 pounds *eyeroll* but I've realized that this program is much more than that. I'm feeling some relief in my back but I still look ridiculously twisted. And constipated from the opioids ... awesome! TMI I know sorry! Hope everyone has a great last day; thank you to each and everyone of you for your support. 

NSV

Emotional

stabilized moods

my self talk has been a little kinder with not some much emphasis on my weight

Less bad day or good day based on the scales

Food freedom - no sugar rewards or celebration

Not using alcohol as a crux when there is a problem or driving straight into alcohol as a celebration 

Physical 

Skin looks really clear

Stomach is less bloated 

Bowel is happy

Energy 

I am running on about 6 hours of sleep - don’t seem to need anymore

Less tired

My back hates me - I think I need to change the way I work out. More pilates and yoga rather than this lift heavy ‘beast mode’ business 

Environmental 

So pleased about my reduced impact on the environment 

I bought less pre packaged foods and no condiments, pastes, sauces therefore less waste 

Other

Tried new recipes and new vegetables

Made homemade mayonnaise and it tastes amazing and so easy to do

My big take away

A lot of women would love to be my size. I’m already slim and healthy. I can walk into any shop and get something that will fit. The size of the clothing doesn’t matter and how much I weigh doesn’t matter. What matters is nourishing my body so that it can function at 100%. Starving myself to be at high school weight does not matter!!!! 

These are amazing benefits and I concur with some of them for sure.  So what's the plan now?  Gradual re-introduction? :rolleyes:

@Carli I'm not really happy about the 6 hours of sleep - I was up at 4:40am this morning. But I'm just shooting up awake at that time. It is messing with me though because I'm not eating breakfast until 6:30/7 and that is not within an hour of waking. I used to be a 9 hour girl! I want to sleep in!!!!  I have had some really good benefits but I am certain I could of benefited from another 30 days. I have ulcerative colitis and I think I need to do some more healing in my gut. We are headed on vacation today so I am going to stay away from dairy (should be easy in asia), reintroduce rice, and soy, and alcohol, and see how I go. As soon as we get home I am going to do another round - I may even try and do a whole60. I am hoping to get pregnant by the end of the year so I want to be as healthy as possible. I hope your tummy settles - I wonder if you have some underlying issue? Or it could just be a lot of healing taking place. 3% fat loss is awesome!! I agree that I understand more about what a balanced diet looks like! This program has really been of huge benefit to me. I look forward to hearing what you discover in your extension - will you continue to post in this thread?? I will keep checking back :-) 

Woohoo, we did it!!!

So proud of all of us! I jumped into this with only 3 days to prep and so glad I did, the best thing I could have done for myself. I hope all of you have benefited in some way. 

My NSV : Having a better understanding of food, what a balanced meal is, and what really goes into "natural" foods. I know look at food in a whole new way. After getting over the bloating and fatigue, I felt great. I had energy to spare, I played with my kids instead of watching from the sidelines. My biggest NSV is the confidence I gained, because I felt better (and slimmer) I walked a little taller. 

I did weight myself this morning and I lost 15lbs!!! Of course, I was also doing crossfit 4-5 days a week, but when I was doing crossfit and still eating poorly, I only lost a couple pounds in a 3 week period. I also, lost 3.5 in around my bust, 3 in off my waist, and 2 in off my hips. 

I could not be more happy with my results. I hate that I'm not doing the reintros as I should, but am ready to do another W30 come Sept. 26th!!

Thank you all for your advise and support, I could not have made it through my first W30 without all of you!!!

Congratulations to everyone for finishing :) I lost 14lbs so very happy with that. Don't know if I'd do it again because I didn't get any of the NSV's but I am glad I did it. Going to celebrate with a nice glass of wine tonight which I've been looking forward to since about day 3 :D I'm not following the reintroduction as I've done eliminations before and already know that my only issue is white flour, but good luck to everyone who is doing it. I hope you all gain some valuable insights from it.

Well done @MuseM !!!!!! 15 pounds is incredible -  you must feel so good!!! I get back to Nola on the 19th of September so I will be looking to do another whole30 around that time. I hope to find you on here again. Your children must be also so thrilled to have you playing with them and not watching from the sidelines. I bet your crossfit lifts improved as well. I also hate that I'm not doing strict re-intros but am just so thankful that I found the program!! Again WELL DONE.

@Whiplash Congratulations on losing 14 pounds!!!!! That's amazing. You must feel better by not having to carry extra weight everyday..?! Such a shame you didn't get any NSV's but as they say it's not the answer for everyone. Enjoy your glass of wine tonight!! Well deserved. YAY!!!

We did it!!  I'm so proud of us!  And I feel it did go by rather quickly and wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Besides the numbers NSVs, I have the following to report:  2 1/2 inches lost in my bust and waist, 1 inch lost on my arms, .5 inches lost on my legs and 1 1/2 inches lost in my hips.  So, those pants really WERE LOOSER!!

I will be reintroducing back wine first - tonight - then non gluten grains - then dairy.  At this point, I am not craving sugar, legumes, or bread, so for now, I will not be introducing those back.  I will continue to eat on program and reintroduce one at a time with some days in between.

I love love this way of eating.  It's easy for me to follow and I'm full and satisfied at each meal.  I also love the way I feel!

@ExpatElle - I would be interested in doing another W30 when you get back.  The week of September 26th is not good as I'll be traveling for work, but if you're game to start another one on October 3rd, let me know.  Please - anyone interested - JOIN ME!!

Congratulations to us all for a job well done.  Let's keep up the great work!  Happy Eating, Y'all! :D

23 hours ago, ExpatElle said:

@Carli I'm not really happy about the 6 hours of sleep - I was up at 4:40am this morning. But I'm just shooting up awake at that time. It is messing with me though because I'm not eating breakfast until 6:30/7 and that is not within an hour of waking. I used to be a 9 hour girl! I want to sleep in!!!!  I have had some really good benefits but I am certain I could of benefited from another 30 days. I have ulcerative colitis and I think I need to do some more healing in my gut. We are headed on vacation today so I am going to stay away from dairy (should be easy in asia), reintroduce rice, and soy, and alcohol, and see how I go. As soon as we get home I am going to do another round - I may even try and do a whole60. I am hoping to get pregnant by the end of the year so I want to be as healthy as possible. I hope your tummy settles - I wonder if you have some underlying issue? Or it could just be a lot of healing taking place. 3% fat loss is awesome!! I agree that I understand more about what a balanced diet looks like! This program has really been of huge benefit to me. I look forward to hearing what you discover in your extension - will you continue to post in this thread?? I will keep checking back :-) 

Have an amazing time in Asia!  You will absolutely love it!  I will definitely keep posting back in the thread.  Good to see how everyone is doing and I'd like to hear how you get on in Asia - not just with the food but in general.  Very hard to get any kind of dairy in Asia.  If you don't eat rice they'll think you're really strange!  My husband and I also plan for me to be pregnant by the end of the year.  I think I'll go another round after September which is full of birthdays and a NYC trip.  Although I haven't yet deviated from the plan even though its day 32.  I'm scared of having any sugar in case it sends me into an eating frenzy!  But I do have a bar of 90% cocoa chocolate in the fridge :D  safe travels!

18 hours ago, Gigi In NOLA said:

We did it!!  I'm so proud of us!  And I feel it did go by rather quickly and wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Besides the numbers NSVs, I have the following to report:  2 1/2 inches lost in my bust and waist, 1 inch lost on my arms, .5 inches lost on my legs and 1 1/2 inches lost in my hips.  So, those pants really WERE LOOSER!!

I will be reintroducing back wine first - tonight - then non gluten grains - then dairy.  At this point, I am not craving sugar, legumes, or bread, so for now, I will not be introducing those back.  I will continue to eat on program and reintroduce one at a time with some days in between.

I love love this way of eating.  It's easy for me to follow and I'm full and satisfied at each meal.  I also love the way I feel!

@ExpatElle - I would be interested in doing another W30 when you get back.  The week of September 26th is not good as I'll be traveling for work, but if you're game to start another one on October 3rd, let me know.  Please - anyone interested - JOIN ME!!

Congratulations to us all for a job well done.  Let's keep up the great work!  Happy Eating, Y'all! :D

Wow they are amazing results!  Well done Gigi!  You'll have to let me know how that first sip of wine tasted.  I haven't had any alcohol yet but thinking about a mouthful of the 90% cocoa chocolate I have in the fridge :-)  I am interesting to go another round throughout October so keep me posted! 

@MuseM and @Whiplash well done on the weight loss. Amazing!  I only lost 1kg (2lb) and 3% body fat but didn't really have weight to lose and I did go a bit overboard on fat portions at times I think! It was other health factors that motivated me but my husband lost 7kg (15lb) which is amazing!

Congrats to everyone for finishing! I'm still on the Whole 30 train until next week but did allow myself some chocolate last night as a treat. Well don't you know I am bloated today!

I'm pretty disappointed with my lack of results from this month, I also have been struggling with my long runs. When I do proper re-introductions I will have to start with something that can help fuel my long runs as my half marathon is in a few weeks and I need the electrolytes!

So, I had a few glasses of wine last night and did not eat dinner.  I feel like a Mack truck hit me today!!!!  It's probably one of the worst hangovers I've ever had!

I did not feel bloated or headachy while consuming, but I felt tipsy right away, which was not always the case.  I think I am going to limit alcohol to weekends/special occasions going forward.  It's just not worth it to feel this crappy at work and on a daily basis.  

Still following my good eating habits (with the exception of skipping dinner last night) and will continue to do so with my reintroductions.  

I am weighing myself this evening when I get my scale back.  I will report tomorrow.

I'll keep in touch and post when I start my next Whole30.  Cheers to all and Happy Eating, Y'all!

Gigi

Archived