Starting Whole30 on July 25th!

Earoti

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Whiplash said:

@jmcbn Thanks for the response. My meals in general are the size the template suggests, apart from lunch which should probably be a bit bigger. Drinking nearly 2 litres of water a day. I haven't really been salting my food because I'm not used to using it. I'll try adding some and see if that helps.

Keep in mind that the template is a range, i.e., 1-2 palm sized portions of protein. If you're eating at the low end of the range, you could try upping portions to the higher end of the range. Many, many people consciously or unconsciously restrict portion sizes, and that's not what whole30 is about. Eat plenty of healthy, nutrient dense foods to nourish your body and allow it to work at its best.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 18!! I'm impressed I've made it this far! I made a big batch of chicken salad last night as a go to for the weekend in case I'm in a pinch with my sister visiting and all.  I'll bring it with me in a cooler, so I'm prepared.  

Feeling great today!  I have energy, I'm not bloated or with heartburn and feeling satisfied. I guess that's Tiger Blood!

Breakfast - 3 eggs cooked in coconut oil over mashed sweet potato topped with 1/2 avocado

Lunch - Chicken salad with veggies, grapes and almonds in lettuce cups

Dinner - Chicken with Sunshine Sauce and roasted spaghetti squash

I hope everyone has a great day!  Happy eating, Y'all!

Wow! Can't believe how far we have come. 

I am feeling AMAZING. I did a really intense leg workout this morning. I have this overwhelming feeling of energy. Like I could burst out of my skin energy!

I'm kicking myself that I won't be able to do the reintros according to the book - but i'm thinking I don't actually need dairy or gluten back in my life. I miss peanut butter and legumes so I would like to re introduce them at some point. And the alcohol is coming back B)

http://www.theendlessmeal.com/roasted-beet-hummus/ I made this roasted beetroot dip yesterday - it is so good! It's not really like hummus but delicious anyway. I'm enjoying trying new things in the kitchen.

Keep on pushing through ladies  

I'm feeling good, but I don't feel incredible. My clothes are definitely looser. Today was the first day of teaching for the year and I'm actually pretty exhausted.  I can see a difference in my face as well. Looking forward to how I wil feel during the remainder of the journey.

Tiger Blood yesterday - low energy today.  No idea why. Perhaps I am just tired as have been up late most nights preparing food.  I over slept this morning and have had some bloating and tummy discomfort along with an unpredictable digestive system and my body aches.  I've been feeling a bit lethargic in the afternoons also.  I have had nuts and fruit the last couple of days to bulk out my lunches which haven't been big enough but I've cut them out today as I read earlier on the forum nuts can be hard to digest. (Will it help if I soak them?

Breakfast was a turkey burger, hard boiled egg, portobello mushroom, spinach, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and home made mayo.  Lunch is a sardine, egg and new potato salad (kale, seeds, crushed walnuts as they were left over from dinner, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, olive oil and mayo.

Tonight I am making a fish pie with coconut milk, veggies topped with sliced sweet and new potatoes.

I want yesterday's tiger blood again!

I'm having a bad lunch day (I'm at work). I made a salmon salad with leftover salmon (mixed in some home made mayo, S&P and vinegar with the salmon) and threw it on my large salad. Turns out the salmon taste awful. I had to get rid of more than half of it (salad included) - I just couldn't stomach it. Thankfully I brought some of the sweet potato and brussel sprout dish that I made last night (however the balsamic vinegar glaze did NOT turn out - so I'm dipping it in ranch sauce) Its also not that tasty but I must eat something! I hope I can make it to dinner. I have some almonds I can tack onto the meal. Eeek! Old me would have just gone and gotten a bagel and called it a day.

Day 19 - not feeling as energetic as yesterday too.  I'm glad I made it to Day 19, but I wish I had more energy this morning for my HIIT Plyo workout.  I struggled through.  My trainer who turned me on to this program was so happy I'm sticking with it and gave me encouragement for the upcoming days.  She pushed me this morning, but I needed it!

Feeling good about the weekend and my food options.  Made some extra protein and veggies last night to take with me for the family outings and such.  We're going out to dinner on Monday night and I have a plan.  

Breakfast - 2 sausage patties, 2 eggs cooked in coconut oil with mashed sweet potatoes topped with 1/2 avocado

Lunch - Pork Carnitas with green slaw & avocado

Dinner - Crispy chicken (recipe from Nom Nom Paleo) topped with Sunshine Sauce with roasted spaghetti squash

I hope everyone makes it through the weekend successfully!  We're going strong and almost to the finish line.  Happy Eating, Y'all!

Hi ladies,

I'm still running really high energy wise. I did a 5k run today and I haven't run in about 2 years - mainly because of back and knee problems. Also a solid back and bicep weights session. I'm feeling really good physically. 

I am fairly sure that avocados give me a stomach ache and some bloat. So I am going to do the remainder of the whole30 without them. For fats I will use the whole30 mayo. I don't think I'dd ever get store bought again seeing as it's so easy to make and delicious!

I've been thinking a lot today about my relationship with the scale; I'm not sure I want to weigh in at the end of the 30 days. I feel so good right now and I know my stomach is flatter and could that be abdominal definition coming..?! I guess what I'm trying to get out is that if I get on the scale at the end and I weigh the same or more I may potentially start thinking that the 30 days was a failure, and I did it wrong. When the truth is I feel really great... Anyway just some Friday afternoon musings!

@Betty83 I hope you make it through the rest of your work day - I have a love hate relationship with salmon... 

@teachermama make sure you're eating enough and enough starchy veggies. I bet the kids are so hyper at this time of year!

@Carli I hope you get the tiger blood again soon!!!!!

@Gigi In NOLA good luck this weekend. You've done so much prep work and I can tell your resolve is strong. Enjoy your family :)

Hard day for me. I didn't go off plan, but after getting off work today I really wanted to. I think it was I wanted to go out to dinner, but I'm too afraid I will give in to temptation if I do. I'm just so tired of cooking at home for every meal. I'm also not a great cook so my meals are as simple as possible while following the rules. I think I'm just getting tired of what I am eating.  I ate a complaint dinner and feel fine, but I don't have this wonderful enegy everyone is talking about.  I know there isn't that much left in the thirty days and I can do it. 

You can do it teachermama! I don't feel the incredible energy either. Hopefully it will kick in soon. Maybe because I'm not getting my sleep. I'm a little hooked on watching the Olympics past my bedtime.  I was scared to go out to eat for the last w30 I did. It helps to look at the menu ahead of time and knowing what to order. I've been ordering steak, baked potato, grilled/steamed veges, salad without dressing, cheese and just getting olive oil and balsamic. It is hard watching other's eat all the things I can't in front of me....but it's nice to get out of the house to eat and be social. I'm a little worried about a family dinner at a sushi place this weekend...I don't know how I'm gonna eat sushi without soy sauce. The menu doesn't look promising. I've seen people use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce but that doesn't sound appealing to me. Have a nice weekend everybody.

10 hours ago, teachermama said:

Hard day for me. I didn't go off plan, but after getting off work today I really wanted to. I think it was I wanted to go out to dinner, but I'm too afraid I will give in to temptation if I do. I'm just so tired of cooking at home for every meal. I'm also not a great cook so my meals are as simple as possible while following the rules. I think I'm just getting tired of what I am eating.  I ate a complaint dinner and feel fine, but I don't have this wonderful enegy everyone is talking about.  I know there isn't that much left in the thirty days and I can do it. 

I had a harder time yesterday too. I think I just wanted to go out to eat because I was tired and didn't want to cook.I remembered that I had some delicious local andouille sausage and I ended up making jambalaya. It was sooo good. It also made a ton of leftovers! I'll share the recipe because it really wasn't hard. It's definitely spicy though!

http://paleomg.com/jambalaya/

Days 17 - 21 done! 

So, it was a CRAZY week and I wasn't able to post. :( I did stay on plan though!

What I noticed is I had a tremendous amount of energy in the mornings, but by mid-afternoon I was tuckered out. When I was home Thursday, day 18, I remember thinking oh I'll just get a few things done around the house,but I didn't stop. However, by the time 2-3pm hit, I was zapped of energy. Weird. I still got my WOs in this week, 4 instead of 5 days, but we had some school prepping to do.  

Here's to hoping the energy lasts more than morning. 

Not much to report - feeling good.

We are nearly done! Hang in there everyone.

Day 31 is my birthday and we leave for our vacation that evening so I have bought a bottle of prosecco. I'm going to treat myself to a champagne breakfast... whole30 food plus the bubbles! :wub: 

Happy Day 23 everyone!  How is everyone feeling?  Well done MuseM for staying on plan even though you had a crazy week!  Kawa and Teachermama keep it up, you're almost there!  Although my post seems really positive I am feeling very tired this week but I don't think it is food related - I spent the entire weekend painting and building a new rabbit run and potting shed with my husband and staying on plan probably helped keep my energy levels up over the weekend.  But it has taken a nose dive and I just want to SLEEP!  Still in a positive frame of mind though.

Made the paleo pad thai with sunshine sauce for dinner last night and have left overs for lunch.  I think it is one of my favorite meals even if labour intensive (spaghetti squash not available here so I made butternut squash ribbons with a vegetable peeler!)

Really enjoying home made turkey burgers with giant mushrooms, sweet potatoes, avodaco, greens and home made pesto for breakfast - having a little egg break.

Has anyone started planning for their re-introduction?  I've only got 10 days of re-introduction before flying to NYC for 5 nights.  I think I am going to start with some of the basics that I have missed like brown rice and chickpeas (in the form of hummus which I love).  I am also nervous about becoming addicted to sugar again.

Day 23!! We're almost there!  It's been tough with my family in town, but I'm staying compliant.  

I had to avoid beignets - french donuts that are fried and topped with tons of powder sugar and an array of fried seafood as appetizers at dinner last night.  I was a bit annoyed because my family insisted that I go to dinner and then proceeded to eat all of the fried food.  I excused myself from the table and went outside for a bit, so I wouldn't have to watch it all.  I ended up getting a salad with fresh seafood that was boiled with compliant spices (I checked with the kitchen) and brought my own salad dressing.  I have to admit, I was still hungry when I left, but managed to be okay.  All I kept thinking was....I've come this far, I'm not going to give up now!!

In addition, my nieces are quite a handful, so having to avoid a nice glass of wine in the evening after they've gone to bed, has been a challenge!!  Luckily, I read in another blog to pour some kombucha in a wine glass and sip and enjoy and that has helped tons.  :P

This week should be good.  I have my meals prepared and will not have to endure dinner out this evening.  I can eat my well prepared, nutritious meal at home...in peace.

Breakfast - Hashed potato cooked in duck fat, 2 eggs, 2 sausage patties, 1/2 avocado

Lunch - Chicken salad in lettuce cups

Dinner - Steak and sauteed zucchini

Hang in there, everybody!!!  We can do it!!  Happy Eating, Y'all!!

Day 22 done!

Wow, I can't believe we only have 1 more week. Way to go us! haha. 

So yesterday was good, I did have energy, maybe not tiger blood, but I was consistent through the day and pushed out a killer WO. Also, I have the sniffles, but not too bad. Just hoping to push past it. Wish me luck. 

@Gigi you go girl!!! You are strong, with all that temptation and little support you did it. So proud of you!! Keep it up! 

Breakfast - Eggs and Chirizo ( I know veggies, but I was short on time. However, I made up for them at lunch and dinner) 

Lunch - 1 sausage link and loads of squash with mushrooms and onions 

Pre-WO- 1 chicken buffalo ranch meatball and sweet potatoes 

Post WO & Dinner - 2 meatballs and loads of sweet potatoes. 

These meatballs are delicious!! Here is the recipes, I make 2 lbs for my family of five, I leave the sauce off for the kids and they love them too. :)

http://holisticallyengineered.com/2013/01/whole30-buffalo-ranch-chicken-meatballs.html

18 hours ago, Gigi In NOLA said:

Day 23!! We're almost there!  It's been tough with my family in town, but I'm staying compliant.  

I had to avoid beignets - french donuts that are fried and topped with tons of powder sugar and an array of fried seafood as appetizers at dinner last night.  I was a bit annoyed because my family insisted that I go to dinner and then proceeded to eat all of the fried food.  I excused myself from the table and went outside for a bit, so I wouldn't have to watch it all.  I ended up getting a salad with fresh seafood that was boiled with compliant spices (I checked with the kitchen) and brought my own salad dressing.  I have to admit, I was still hungry when I left, but managed to be okay.  All I kept thinking was....I've come this far, I'm not going to give up now!!

In addition, my nieces are quite a handful, so having to avoid a nice glass of wine in the evening after they've gone to bed, has been a challenge!!  Luckily, I read in another blog to pour some kombucha in a wine glass and sip and enjoy and that has helped tons.  :P

This week should be good.  I have my meals prepared and will not have to endure dinner out this evening.  I can eat my well prepared, nutritious meal at home...in peace.

Breakfast - Hashed potato cooked in duck fat, 2 eggs, 2 sausage patties, 1/2 avocado

Lunch - Chicken salad in lettuce cups

Dinner - Steak and sauteed zucchini

Hang in there, everybody!!!  We can do it!!  Happy Eating, Y'all!!

I can see how you would be a little annoyed with the fried food scenario!  But absolutely fantastic that you managed it so well.  I have completely avoided dining out at all but I have a family BBQ this Saturday (luckily my Aunt is pretty good with freshly prepared food so I think that will be ok) and I am meeting some girlfriends on Friday night - this will be more of a challenge.  Still working out how best to approach it so as not to offend anyone and not be too awkward.

Enjoy your well prepared nutritious meals in peace this week! :D

Day 23 done! 

Yesterday was a great day, my energy level was pretty high and consistant throughout the day. I really noticed a difference in my WO too. I was able to keep pushing, when I normally have to take breaks between sets, especially when burpees are involved. LOL 

Here's to another great day! 

Breakfast - Eggs & Chorizo

Lunch - Chicken & spinish sausage with loads of Squash, mushroom & onion 

Pre WO - small beef enchilada casserole (has cauliflower, peppers, and onions) 

Post WO - more beef enchilada casserole

Anyone got any tips for food apathy???  

It started last night - I managed to eat a small chicken thigh and probably what amounted to one roasted carrot with some homemade mayo.

I woke this morning with zero hunger; I had a black coffee and opted not to eat breakfast (I know so bad!!!)

I've just eaten another chicken thigh, mayo, zucchini, lettuce, cherry tomato - I seriously had to force feed myself... I wasn't hungry and the thought of eating blegh 

Feeling ok otherwise :rolleyes:

• Moderators

@ExpatElle this happens to lots of people at some point. You really do need to keep making yourself eat, or the problem will just multiply.

There are really a couple of ways to go with this. One would be to go for simple foods like chicken, baked or roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes, flavorful fats like mayo or guacamole. Think almost comfort type foods -- the things you find familiar and know you like. This could even be something you live but maybe don't have often -- grilled steak or salmon fillets for instance.

The other would be to pick something new and different, with different seasonings, to try to get yourself excited about the food. Is there a recipe you've looked at but thought maybe it was too much trouble? Set aside time and make it. Or change up your seasonings and sauces on simpler foods.

Do know that if you hang in there and do your best to eat three meals a day, this feeling will pass. It's just a phase in the plan that you have to get through, like the kill all the things phase early in the program.

Happy Day 25 to everyone!

I can't believe we just have 5 more days, we can do this !!

Lately I'm not feeling the  Tiger Blood, on the contrary I am bloated, with headaches, all symptoms that I did not have in the first weeks. this is normal ?? what should I do

and  I think I might have intolerance to some of the food groups allowed in W30, is this possible?

9 minutes ago, Member said:

Happy Day 25 to everyone!

I can't believe we just have 5 more days, we can do this !!

Lately I'm not feeling the  Tiger Blood, on the contrary I am bloated, with headaches, all symptoms that I did not have in the first weeks. this is normal ?? what should I do

and  I think I might have intolerance to some of the food groups allowed in W30, is this possible?

Do you have a food log? Or can you list out what you've been eating over the past 3-4 days giving specifics on veg types, portion sizes etc? That way we can take a look and see if anything jumps out... Food sensitivities are not entirely uncommon.

Day 25 and I must admit I've cheated...I got on the scales this morning! I really needed motivation to keep going as the non scale benefits seem to have completely passed me by. I got no tiger blood what so ever. In fact I'm the opposite. In bed by 9 every night and need to nap during the day because I'm exhausted. Also had blood tests done last week and they came back with a high inflammation count. Really surprised as I thought this plan would reduce inflammation. On the plus side I've [edited by moderator] achieved something. Really looking forward to day 31 and a nice glass of wine!

Hi @Whiplash

Sorry to hear you're not feeling so good on the plan. It's possible that something you are eating now (even if compliant) is causing the inflammation - night shades are notorious for that, as are high FODMAP foods to those who are sensitive... or an abundance of nuts and their by-products can be problematic. If you'd like to link to a food log, or lits out a few days worth of your typical food intake (giving specific info on veg types etc) perhaps we can help you troubleshoot.

Please note that I've edited your post above where you mention the scales. Not weighing is as much a rule as the no gluten, no dairy & no alcohol rules so we ask that if you chose NOT to follow that rule that you don't report your findings here. 

Archived