Starting Whole30 on July 25th!

Earoti

2 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Actually nothing about what you've eaten jumps out at me as a likely culprit. The flaxseeds could be an offender but I think you'd need to have been eating them in bulk. I'm guessing then that perhaps your body is still dealing with eliminating toxins and this is showing in your skin. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water to help flush everything out - a half an ounce per pound of body weight, daily, is the recommendation.

That said you're not eating enough. When eggs are the only source of protein in a meal a serving would be as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand - usually 3-4 for most females. Salads need to be HUGE to be in any way satiating. You're skipping veg in favour of fruit, skipping meals completely, skipping fat in almost every meal (the fat used for cooking does not count for much), and skipping protein - your body is going to be playing nutritional catch up if these two days are typical for you - that in and of itself could cause skin break outs.

Three template meals, three times a day - the first within an hour of wakening. That will get you the results that you want.

Hope this helps.

it helped a lot ! Thanks for feedback

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, ExpatElle said:

I hope everyone is feeling great heading into the third week. We can do this!! I am enjoying eating like this. 

Mods can I hijack and ask a question... Since I moved to the US I have had a constant drippy nose - which I have attributed to allergies; even though allergy medications make no difference. This 'drippy nose' has stopped so I am assuming it is food related...? My diet before; no gluten, lots of dairy (but not milk) I can't stand the milk here so I drink almond milk. Lots of wine :rolleyes: I have medication controlled ulcerative colitis.

Any ideas of what I should try and reintroduce first? I very impulsively launched into whole30 because I had 30 days until I leave for my honeymoon in south east asia... So my re intros will be PLANE FOOD :unsure:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

I have an intolerance to dairy and yeast - both of which cause sinus and drippy nose (as well as other symptoms).  So the wine won't help either.  

As an aside, I spent 6 months in SE Asia a few years back.  It is amazing!  I hope you have a really wonderful time.  Where abouts are you going?  Food - they put fish sauce (tends to contain sugar) and soy sauce in most dishes and the rice tends to be sticky and quite glutinous - depending where in SE Asia you are going  (it is delicious but gave me a tummy ache).  

Morning All

Day 16 and how is everyone feeling?  We managed to stay on plan for the weekend away (camping for a friend's birthday) and my Husband's very grumpy phase seems to have passed (hurrah!)  Would I say I have boundless energy?  Not yet.  But I am feeling generally healthier.  I feel as though I am eating too much meat so I'm going to try adding more fish options and possibly look at some vegetarian recipe ideas (any suggestions welcome).  We're also both a bit egged-out so I'm planning some eggless meals over the next week or so.

My biggest anxiety is running out of compliant food and ending up really hungry.  But my rational side knows that there are a multitude of supermarkets within a few mile radius so all I have to do is pop to the shop.  Trying to be more relaxed and less stressed about all the food preparation.

Still struggling with the snooze button in the mornings but perhaps its partly psychological?

2 hours ago, Carli said:

I have an intolerance to dairy and yeast - both of which cause sinus and drippy nose (as well as other symptoms).  So the wine won't help either.  

As an aside, I spent 6 months in SE Asia a few years back.  It is amazing!  I hope you have a really wonderful time.  Where abouts are you going?  Food - they put fish sauce (tends to contain sugar) and soy sauce in most dishes and the rice tends to be sticky and quite glutinous - depending where in SE Asia you are going  (it is delicious but gave me a tummy ache).  

Hi Carli, I can't believe my nose has stopped. I had become so accustomed to carrying tissues everywhere and holding them near my nose all the time. I'll have to do another whole30 when I get back from our holiday and do the reintroductions properly to identify what exactly is causing it. 

6 months in SE asia!!! How amazing! We are doing a week in Koh Samui Thailand, and then 3 weeks in Sri Lanka with hopefully a weekend in the Maldives. I'm so looking forward to it. We got married almost a year ago so long overdue honeymoon! I figure I should be able to avoid dairy, but there will be rice everywhere and legumes in sri lanka.

I'm still really glad I jumped into this whole30 - I can't believe how i'd gotten into such a habit of buying things in bottles, containers, and packets. Easting this way is probably better for the environment with less plastic and glass waste.

I haven't had a digestive biscuit in so long... yum!! The last two nights I  have really felt like I need something sweet after dinner... :-( cups of tea instead!!  

Congratulations on getting through the camping trip - honestly such dedication. It's no wonder you have a bit of food prep anxiety; you did so much to get ready for it! 

Carli - resist those biscuits!!!  You know you can!

Yay to Day 16!  Feeling the boundless energy this morning!! :D

Had a tough HIIT workout this morning, but I powered through and had no problems with my pre & post WO meals.  

I'm a little anxious about the upcoming weekend and next week.  My sister will be in town with my nieces.  I'll get a lot of activity in, but we tend to eat out a lot when they're here.  And of course, she'll be wanting several fried shrimp po boys (fried shrimp with mayo/tartar sauce on a huge piece of french bread).  My plan is to know where we're going ahead of time and prepare from there - look for salad options and bring my own dressing.  If I can't find anything, I just won't go, or I'll eat ahead of time and just be there for the company.  I facetimed with my sister last week and she kind of poo pooed my Whole30 stating that I shouldn't be eliminating things from my diet and it's really just about calories in vs. calories out.  I was a bit discouraged and worried, but I'm so over it.  I don't see how it's wrong to eliminate things like sugar, alcohol and processed foods and eat healthier as a whole.  The weight loss program I was on before this almost made me eat more processed foods because I could fit them in and they were convenient.  In addition, I was hungry all of the time and constantly snacking, not to mention drinking wine every night.  So, I hope she doesn't try to derail me...:(

Pre WO meal - hard boiled egg; Post WO meal - mashed sweet potatoes with a sausage patty

Breakfast - 3 eggs cooked in ghee, mashed sweet potatoes topped with toasted almonds (my avocados are still ripening)

Lunch - Pork carnitas with green cabbage slaw, banana

Dinner - No Fuss Salmon Cakes topped with tartar sauce with salad with mango vinaigrette and walnuts

Happy Eating, Y'all!

I have some major heartburn today.  I suffer with acid reflux/GERD and take Nexium everyday.  Since starting Whole30, I haven't had any issues.  I wonder why today.  It started after lunch and I ate the same thing as yesterday and didn't have heartburn yesterday.

Anyone else get heartburn while on this?  

6 minutes ago, Gigi In NOLA said:

I have some major heartburn today.  I suffer with acid reflux/GERD and take Nexium everyday.  Since starting Whole30, I haven't had any issues.  I wonder why today.  It started after lunch and I ate the same thing as yesterday and didn't have heartburn yesterday.

Anyone else get heartburn while on this?  

Heartburn could come from a sensitivity to a certain food. Just looking at the food you have posted today the cabbage,almonds or the banana could be the culprit. Are your avocados ripe yet? If you can ease off the nuts for a few days that would be a good starting point as they're notoriously hard to digest...

I've been back at work for two days now and doing good. Everyone is going out to lunch and I'm staying at my school and eating my lunch I brought from home. I refused cake last Saturday at a party and it wasn't even hard. I'm not feeling boundless energy but I am feeling good. Excited for my first day back of teaching which will be on Thursday. I will have to resist the treats in the lounge. My school loves to eat and there is always something sugary on the table. I think I will be okay though. I'm not really thinking about non complaint food at all.

Well done for refusing cake teachermama, I'm don't a particularly sweet tooth but I do love a good piece of cake! I'm not feeling boundless energy either, and it still takes me 10 mins to wake up in the morning. Although, this is a vast improvement from 30mins!

I did notice a small NSV for me this morning. Whilst I was putting on my makeup I realised that my blue sometime black under eye bags have significantly reduced! Pretty happy about that! Although they probably won't completely go away as they are hereditary for me, I am sleeping much more deeply, which has always been a significant problem for me! YAY! 

The blue/black bags are often the result of a dairy influence @alexandrarowan so do pay atention when you're doing your dairy reintro.

Are you getting enough water/salt? Enough sleep in general? Are you stressed? These will all impact energry levels just as much as the food you eat.

Day 15 & 16 done! 

It has been a crazy, hectic week so far and it is only Wednesday! No worries, I am staying on point. The last few days I have, not craved, but really wanted to grab that bag of treats or eat my kids snacks, but I resisted. LOL I had to force myself to WO yesterday, but that could also be from taking care of a sick 2 year old all day, poor baby. :( I am noticing some NSVs - I feel so much better - I have more confidence, my pants are slightly looser, and I don't feel sluggish. I call this a win!

Breakfast - Eggs with mushroom, carrots, tomatoes, arugula

Lunch - Sausage, baked potato with ghee 

Dinner - Enchilada Casserole (SO YUMMY!) http://www.justjessieb.com/2014/07/beef-enchilada-bake.html

Hello Day 17!  Feeling great and pumped!  I had a tough HIIT Strength workout this morning, but it was challenging and heart pumping.

I'm feeling the good energy today.  Heartburn is gone.  Thanks jmcbn for the tip on the nuts!  My avocados are now ripe and I'm having 1/2 of one this morning.  

MuseM - thanks for the enchilada casserole recipe!  I will make this for next week.  

Not really having any cravings and I'm still enjoying what I'm eating everyday and feeling full and satisfied.

Breakfast - 3 eggs cooked in coconut oil on top of 2 zucchini fritters topped with 1/2 avocado

Lunch - Chicken & Apple sausage with roasted artichokes, tomatoes and olives, banana

Dinner - Pork Carnitas with green slaw with lemon oil

Happy Hump Day!  Happy Eating, Y'all!

Day 17 and I am finally starting to like the taste of black coffee. I see my naturopath tomorrow to discuss how things are going and I am going to bring up the fact that my pants are still tight! Part of the reason for me doing this was to give my stomach a break (was getting very bloated a lot) and find out what my triggers are, as well as to reset my metabolism which has been non-existent since having 2 babies. I find it so hard to believe that after 2.5 weeks of no sugar, dairy, wheat... my pants aren't even a little bit loose. Am I doing this wrong?

12 minutes ago, Betty83 said:

Day 17 and I am finally starting to like the taste of black coffee. I see my naturopath tomorrow to discuss how things are going and I am going to bring up the fact that my pants are still tight! Part of the reason for me doing this was to give my stomach a break (was getting very bloated a lot) and find out what my triggers are, as well as to reset my metabolism which has been non-existent since having 2 babies. I find it so hard to believe that after 2.5 weeks of no sugar, dairy, wheat... my pants aren't even a little bit loose. Am I doing this wrong?

It may be because your stomach is still healing - maybe tack an extra week or two on... I am interested to see what the mods say.

I can't imagine what it's like to be doing this with 2 babies and training for a marathon. Good on you for putting your health first so you can be the best mama and Betty83 you can be. 

26 minutes ago, Gigi In NOLA said:

Hello Day 17!  Feeling great and pumped!  I had a tough HIIT Strength workout this morning, but it was challenging and heart pumping.

I'm feeling the good energy today.  

GO GIGI - Remember this if/when your sister starts poo pooing the whole30! 

You feel better with all the processed food eliminated. If you ate a fried shrimp poboy right now you would probably end up doubled over with stomach cramps anyway lol. 

1 hour ago, ExpatElle said:

GO GIGI - Remember this if/when your sister starts poo pooing the whole30! 

You feel better with all the processed food eliminated. If you ate a fried shrimp poboy right now you would probably end up doubled over with stomach cramps anyway lol. 

So true!  Honestly, I have no interest in eating that in the near or distant future at this point.  The thought of it kind of makes my stomach turn at the moment.  

I won't let her get me down!!  Thanks, ExpatElle! :D

2 hours ago, Betty83 said:

I'm feeling the same way.  While I see some definition in my stomach (a partial 6 or 4 pack starting to form - mind you, it's JUST starting), I feel like my pants could be a bit looser too.  I still have some bloat here and there as well.  I figured with not drinking wine every night would make it shrink some more than it has.  But, from what I've been reading, we should start seeing some more significant changes in the next 14 days and thereafter, if we keep eating this way and do the reintroduction properly.  

2 hours ago, ExpatElle said:

It may be because your stomach is still healing - maybe tack an extra week or two on... I am interested to see what the mods say.

I can't imagine what it's like to be doing this with 2 babies and training for a marathon. Good on you for putting your health first so you can be the best mama and Betty83 you can be. 

Thanks @expatelle My life is busy but I don't foresee a time that it will never be NOT busy and I was tired of not taking care of myself which is why I decided to do the Whole 30 mid training.

I have to say that I am quite proud of myself. I have had many MANY temptations to eat non compliant food. I was at a birthday party for my niece this past weekend where everyone was served pizza, cake and chips. I've been to the movies twice - surrounded by a theatre full of (including my husband right next to me!) snacking away on popcorn. Next week we are away on vacation at a cottage with family. I'm sure the temptation to drink wine and snack away will be ever present. I hope to remain strong! My sister will be there and has agreed to eat my Whole 30 approved meals with me. 

I hope everyone is well! Sounds like most of us are sticking with it which I think is amazing!! Did anyone else get a jolt of tiger blood? I had a little bit today! I was able to get quite a bit done after my kindergarteners left today. Usually at that time I'm exhausted and craving some sort of junk food in our snack basket. I still craved the junk food but I was strong and ended up getting a lot of energy! Pretty happy about that. 

Can an you believe we will be done in a week and a half?! Who is doing the reintro in the book? My husband and I plan on doing that but possibly switching the timing of gluten and dairy. He wants to make sure he can have beer in time for college football season!

17 hours ago, jmcbn said:

The blue/black bags are often the result of a dairy influence @alexandrarowan so do pay atention when you're doing your dairy reintro.

Are you getting enough water/salt? Enough sleep in general? Are you stressed? These will all impact energry levels just as much as the food you eat.

Thanks for the heads up! I do have chronic sleep issues - insomnia/ nightmares, something that the whole30 will not completely solve (I previously completed a whole 30 in Feb) - helps definitely, but not completely.

For those struggling with bloating, I notice a huge difference when I have a tablespoon of ACV diluted with water before meals (recommended to be 30 mins but I generally do right before). Maybe give it a try?

On 8/9/2016 at 3:41 PM, Gigi In NOLA said:

Carli - resist those biscuits!!!  You know you can!

Yay to Day 16!  Feeling the boundless energy this morning!! :D

Had a tough HIIT workout this morning, but I powered through and had no problems with my pre & post WO meals.  

I'm a little anxious about the upcoming weekend and next week.  My sister will be in town with my nieces.  I'll get a lot of activity in, but we tend to eat out a lot when they're here.  And of course, she'll be wanting several fried shrimp po boys (fried shrimp with mayo/tartar sauce on a huge piece of french bread).  My plan is to know where we're going ahead of time and prepare from there - look for salad options and bring my own dressing.  If I can't find anything, I just won't go, or I'll eat ahead of time and just be there for the company.  I facetimed with my sister last week and she kind of poo pooed my Whole30 stating that I shouldn't be eliminating things from my diet and it's really just about calories in vs. calories out.  I was a bit discouraged and worried, but I'm so over it.  I don't see how it's wrong to eliminate things like sugar, alcohol and processed foods and eat healthier as a whole.  The weight loss program I was on before this almost made me eat more processed foods because I could fit them in and they were convenient.  In addition, I was hungry all of the time and constantly snacking, not to mention drinking wine every night.  So, I hope she doesn't try to derail me...:(

Pre WO meal - hard boiled egg; Post WO meal - mashed sweet potatoes with a sausage patty

Breakfast - 3 eggs cooked in ghee, mashed sweet potatoes topped with toasted almonds (my avocados are still ripening)

Lunch - Pork carnitas with green cabbage slaw, banana

Dinner - No Fuss Salmon Cakes topped with tartar sauce with salad with mango vinaigrette and walnuts

Happy Eating, Y'all!

Such a shame that your Sister isn't being supportive - I wonder how she would feel if she understood all the scientific research that supports this approach to eating.  Perhaps whilst you're spending time with her you can try and explain the basics. Perhaps she'll see you and think "wow, my sister is really glowing!"  Well I hope the weekend goes ok.  By the way I did resist those biscuits and I have boundless energy today hurrah!

Feeling terrible today. Had a few dizzy spells and people are commenting on the fact that I look terrible. Really pale and my face has really shrunk. Feeling like giving in and having a bit of sugar. Tried snacking on an apple but I really feel like I need proper sugar :( 

Hey @Whiplash - sorry you're feeling so rough... Sounds to me like you're either coming down with something, or you're not eating enough. Are you keeping a food log? Do you have any protein/fat that you can eat? If you're feeling dizzy sugar will only exasperate that by giving you a high followed by a low... Are you salting your food? Drinking enough water??

@jmcbn Thanks for the response. My meals in general are the size the template suggests, apart from lunch which should probably be a bit bigger. Drinking nearly 2 litres of water a day. I haven't really been salting my food because I'm not used to using it. I'll try adding some and see if that helps.

Archived