Starting Whole30 on July 25th!

Earoti

I've been eating pretty much the same things everyday for the past week or so.

Breakfast 3 egg omelette with 2 cups of veggies spinach, peppers, onions, mushrooms, carrots and half an avocado.

Lunch palm sized serving of chicken breast, 4 cups of veggies lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato and dressed in olive oil.

Dinner 2 palm sized servings of chicken, fish or beef, 3 cups of veggies spinach, peppers, onions, carrots and sweet potato with toasted pine nuts.

If I'm hungry between meals I snack on bananas or plums and about twice during the past week I've had a small handful of mixed nuts.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Whiplash said:

I've been eating pretty much the same things everyday for the past week or so.

Breakfast 3 egg omelette with 2 cups of veggies spinach, peppers, onions, mushrooms, carrots and half an avocado.

Lunch palm sized serving of chicken breast, 4 cups of veggies lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato and dressed in olive oil.

Dinner 2 palm sized servings of chicken, fish or beef, 3 cups of veggies spinach, peppers, onions, carrots and sweet potato with toasted pine nuts.

If I'm hungry between meals I snack on bananas or plums and about twice during the past week I've had a small handful of mixed nuts.

Ok, so you have both high FODMAPs and nightshades going on here...

High FODMAPs would be - avocado, onions, mushrooms, sweet potato (moderate but problematic), bananas (unless v ripe), nuts & seeds

Nightshades would be - eggs, tomatoes, bell peppers.

FODMAPs can become problematic when you overload your system with them, and particularly when you combine a few of them in one meal (see your breakfast for instance) once the gut is already inflamed so I'd be inclined to start by eliminating the high FODMAP foods to see how you go from there.

If that doesn't work then try removing the nightshades.

You may find it's just one of those items listed, but you'll figure this out once they're excluded, symptoms have eased, and you start reintroducing one by one.

Let us know how you get on.

54 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Ok, so you have both high FODMAPs and nightshades going on here...

High FODMAPs would be - avocado, onions, mushrooms, sweet potato (moderate but problematic), bananas (unless v ripe), nuts & seeds

Nightshades would be - eggs, tomatoes, bell peppers.

FODMAPs can become problematic when you overload your system with them, and particularly when you combine a few of them in one meal (see your breakfast for instance) once the gut is already inflamed so I'd be inclined to start by eliminating the high FODMAP foods to see how you go from there.

If that doesn't work then try removing the nightshades.

You may find it's just one of those items listed, but you'll figure this out once they're excluded, symptoms have eased, and you start reintroducing one by one.

Let us know how you get on.

I'd forgotten about FODMAPs and Nightshades and was wondering why I was having some digestive discomfort (I'll spare details!) Also low energy and lethargy (but some of it is monthly cycle related).  I know I have been 100% compliant for 25 days so this could be the answer.  I've been eating eggs, tomatoes, avocado and sweet potato most days (quite often in the same meal), plus more peppers and onions than I would usually.  Thanks for the reminder.

Day 24 done!

So yesterday I still had energy to burn, of course I was worn out after my WO, which I killed yet again :), but it all came back after a few moments of rest. This morning though, I am having some tummy trouble. I think we are having a tummy bug go around my house. My hubby, who has been about 90% complainant, has been complaining the last couple days and one of by boys who is not on W30 was home most of last week from it. My tummy was gargling so loud this morning, not an I'm hungry gargle, and I had the runs. (Sorry if TMI) Hoping this will pass soon, luckily today is a rest day so no WO. Hubby is complaining of cramping, but I am not having that problem. 

Hope all are feeling and eating well! 

Breakfast - Beef Enchilada Casserole 

Lunch - Prosciutto and German Potato Salad 

Dinner - Fish with tomato and Onion, cauliflower, german potato salad. 

I caved and had some chocolate :( Really disappointed in myself and my stomach feels awful! Going to just put it behind me and move on because now isn't a good time for me to start over because I have a lot coming up in the next few weeks. Can't believe I gave in after doing so well for so long :angry:

On August 17, 2016 at 0:51 PM, ShannonM816 said:

@ExpatElle this happens to lots of people at some point. You really do need to keep making yourself eat, or the problem will just multiply.

There are really a couple of ways to go with this. One would be to go for simple foods like chicken, baked or roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes, flavorful fats like mayo or guacamole. Think almost comfort type foods -- the things you find familiar and know you like. This could even be something you live but maybe don't have often -- grilled steak or salmon fillets for instance.

The other would be to pick something new and different, with different seasonings, to try to get yourself excited about the food. Is there a recipe you've looked at but thought maybe it was too much trouble? Set aside time and make it. Or change up your seasonings and sauces on simpler foods.

Do know that if you hang in there and do your best to eat three meals a day, this feeling will pass. It's just a phase in the plan that you have to get through, like the kill all the things phase early in the program.

thanks @ShannonM816 I woke up ravenous this morning and I've got some nice atlantic salmon fillets for dinner. I think i've turned a corner. This forum is such a great support.

I'm so pumped to know that I have nearly (meal 3 to go) completed 25 days!!! 

Every day we get to make choices and I'm so proud that for the last 25 days I have made the choice to put my body first and stay true to the program. Woo hoo Ladies - we are nearly there!!!!

Keep going strong everyone. I'll definitely be back after vacation so I can do another round and the re-introductions properly. 

13 minutes ago, Whiplash said:

I caved and had some chocolate :( Really disappointed in myself and my stomach feels awful! Going to just put it behind me and move on because now isn't a good time for me to start over because I have a lot coming up in the next few weeks. Can't believe I gave in after doing so well for so long :angry:

OH NO! Chin up @Whiplash continue on and maybe make plans to do another whole30??

15 minutes ago, ExpatElle said:

@Whiplash I just read you got on the scales... I am assuming there was a reduction in number... Was the chocolate to celebrate? 

I'm just interested as I regularly 'reward' myself with sugar. 

@ExpatElle Thank you! I can't believe I didn't make that connection myself! Pre W30 every Sunday morning I'd weigh myself and if I was happy with the number I'd reward myself with a sugary treat. I guess that habit is going to be hard to break. Since I got on the scales this morning my sugar dragon has been insistent that I feed it.

@Whiplash I am EXACTLY the same!!!! Earlier in this thread I said I was reluctant to weigh myself at the end of the 30 days. I have a long history of rewarding my sugar dragon when the number is 'good' or beating myself up when the number is perceived to be 'bad'.

Good luck over the next few days. Starve that sugar dragon again :)

Day 25 done! 

So I have a stomach bug, after I posted yesterday I just could not stomach food. So I skipped lunch and felt better. Had dinner, but then it ran right through me. Not what I need. Well, I guess the bright side is, it will make staying compliant easier the next day or two. Normally when I am sick like this I would snack on toast or crackers through out the day, but that is out of the question. Guess, I am just going to have to suffer through this until it passes. Feeling Yuck! 

Breakfast - German Potato Salad - had to force myself 

Lunch - none 

Dinner - Sausage and potatoes with avocado oil and salt. 

Hey Whole30-ers! 

I'm on day 26 with all of you and JUST NOW (literally, 5 minutes ago) DISCOVERED FORUMS! 

Cue that Rihanna song 'Where. have. you. been. all. my. liii-ii-ii-iife."

I hope you'll allow me to jump right into this! I'm actually doing a Whole40 so I'll be finished on Sept. 2 - how's everyone feeling? Anyone interested in extending 10 extra days with me? :)

• Moderators

@MuseM try fairly bland foods for a few days -- grilled or baked chicken, scrambled eggs, baked potatoes or sweet potatoes. If you have broth, it's always good to drink when you're not feeling great. Peppermint or ginger teas can help with nausea. Drink plenty of fluids in general as well.

If you need to take some imodium or something like it, do. We don't want you miserable or dehydrated.

First full week of teaching this year is done! I'm not as exhausted on a Friday as I would normally be, however I have not felt the tiger blood at all. Kind of disappointed. One of my wonderful parents baked me homemade cookies today. I stared at them for five minutes thinking it's almost done, I can just stop now and eat these cookies. I didn't though! I put them in the freezer and will enjoy them on another day.  I'm pretty proud of myself. I am looking forward to this being done with. I definitely think I am going to add grains my first day of introduction. I can't wait for a bowl of oatmeal. 

You guys bad day here for me.... :( don't worry I'm still 100% compliant foods.

I had to go to urgent care this morning. Massive flare up of my back problems (3 disc bulges). I think I did something wrong at the gym. 

Anyway I am on corticosteroids and some heavy pain relief for a week. I'm really wiped out right now and I guess... sad. I'm freaking out that I will have fluid retention and possible weight gain from the steroids but trying to reason with myself that it's unlikely being such a short course (6 days tapered). Also this has rendered me quite inactive - I'm guessing for a few days too. Maybe just another indicator to stay off the scales at the end????

Well just wanted to share some of my misery! I am going to stick to compliant foods and get as close to the meal template as possible. 

Hang in there everyone. 

@teachermama I've been dreaming about oatmeal which is kinda weird considering I hardly eat it! 

Hello everyone !

Day 28 almost over!! Today I made W30 Curry for lunch, it was a family reunion at my parents house, they made lasagna, so I dicide to make my own food, chicken curry , I also made some rice in case someone else want the curry and a sweet potato for me, in the end everybody love the curry and almost dint ate the Lasagna.Who said that healthy isn't tasty !!!

@ExpatElle I hope you feel better soon. Way to stay compliant!

My family keeps going out to sushi (we've been 3 times in 2 weeks!?) and I just don't like eating sashimi with coconut aminos... It looks the same as soy sauce but the sweetness just is not right for me. ugh.... even just lemon... not good. I've been eating before hand and just eating a little bit when I'm there and drink lots of tea. lol... Can't believe we are almost done! I've ben feeling good so far but I don't feel like I've lost any weight. Starting to think about reintros. My work is having a potluck lunch on Thursday so I think I'll start on Thursday instead of Wednesday. Maybe I'll start with gluten or non gluten grains... hmmm.. We're almost done! :)

On 8/19/2016 at 6:40 PM, RKJ13 said:

Hey Whole30-ers! 

I'm on day 26 with all of you and JUST NOW (literally, 5 minutes ago) DISCOVERED FORUMS! 

Cue that Rihanna song 'Where. have. you. been. all. my. liii-ii-ii-iife."

I hope you'll allow me to jump right into this! I'm actually doing a Whole40 so I'll be finished on Sept. 2 - how's everyone feeling? Anyone interested in extending 10 extra days with me? :)

Hi RKJ13!

26 days with no forums?!  I've found them a great support and source of info.  So, welcome!!  Although day 30 is Tuesday, we're planning to carry on but with a gradual re-introduction so will still be on plan to a degree.  I go on on holiday on 3rd September (NYC here I come) and I'm a bit worried about losing control after all the good work I've done!

Feeling pretty good but think I have to balance FODMAPs a bit better as have had some lethargy but overall, a great improvement to joint pain and mental wellbeing.  How have you found it?  What has been your favourite food / meal? 

Hello everyone, I have been on vacation for the last week and while I've been reading along, I haven't posted. I managed to stay on track while others around me were snacking on chips, buttertarts, chocolate chip pancakes and drinking lots of alcohol! Go me! One thing I realized this last week is that I am capable of not doing so much prep work and still staying on track. It's all about toning it down. For instance, last night I just chopped up some veggies, boiled some eggs and threw a turkey breast in the oven for an hour and voila - food for today is mostly prepped. 

I am on day 29 (wow!) but also need to extend my whole30 by a week and a bit, as I can't see my naturopath until next week. I actually don't mind at all. 

Can we talk NSV? While I'm fairly confident that I haven't lost any weight (what the heck?!), I also am not really seeing or feeling any differences otherwise. Other than having zero pimples the entire month (not that that is something small - that's amazing), I haven't really experienced any other noticeable changes. I don't have boundless energy, am not sleeping any differently, and am still experiencing some aches and pains. I'm curious to know how others are feeling?

Day 27 & 28 done!

Well, I was sick all weekend. I didn't eat much, but I was compliant. I had about 2 small meals a day. It was all I could stomach. I was tempted to call it quits, especially when my hubby made soup for the kids' lunch. With my stomach acting up, I really wanted to eat that noodle soup. The "Day 28 is as good as 30...right?" hit me pretty hard, but I pushed through. Needless to say, I did skip my WOs Friday and Saturday. Hoping to go today, but I'll see how I feel through the day.  

@ExpatElle sorry to hear you are injured, thinking of you and hoping for a quick recovery. 

Welcome @RKJ13! I too am going on vacation the weekend after our W30, so I won't be able to extend, but if I could I would. I feel amazing!

Thank you @ShannonM816 I did stick to mostly bland foods this weekend, it was just hard to eat anything. 

Total lunch FAIL!  Soggy lettuce - urghh!  Dry and chewy scotch eggs - urghhh!  Also feeling bloated and sluggish this afternoon.  I think I need to address FODMAPs as have been getting some IBS type symptoms (I have suffered over the years anyway so must have a sensitivity).  Today breakfast was a home made turkey burger, spinach with pesto, sweet potatoes, mushrooms and half an avocado and lunch was (soggy) salad leaves with tomatoes, seeds, cucumber, sliced new potatoes, pesto dressing and 1.5 (dry) scotch eggs.  Oh and then I ate an apple to get rid of the taste of the lunch!

Planning to make kale, bacon and butternut squash soup tonight so will try that as a low FODMAP breakfast and see how that goes.  Tomorrow's lunch will be slow cooked beef ragu with greens (left over from tonight's dinner).  Does anyone know if cooked tomatoes / passata also counts as high FODMAP? 

@Betty83 you're not alone. I've had zero NSV's which I'm pretty disappointed about. No tiger blood. No decrease in muscle/joint pain. My recent blood tests showed an increase in inflammation. I've had a breakout on my face with the last few days which I never get. I guess there's no such thing as a one plan suits all! I know I've lost weight but I'd rather have had some of the other benefits. Determination is waning the last few days, so I'm really looking forward to the final day tomorrow. I need wine :D

Archived