what am I doing wrong?

I have started the program 15 days ago, although I´m a 90% paleo dieter with the ocassional flirt with sweets and bread I wanted to regain control of myself (aka fight sugar cravings).

I decided to give this a try as whole30 plan seems very reasonable and healthy to me.

I workout 3 to 4 times a week, combining running with weight lifting.

I´m 35, mother of 3, I´m not fat but want a leaner body and loose some of weight, one pound would do.

I ´m from Spain, where, mind you, we don´t have whole foods, or nothing of the sort. We have to rely on our local markets to be truly selling what they say its organic. So, no salami, bacon or whatever of that kind.

On the other hand, the mediterranean diet is plenty of wonderful options.

I have some fruit, as low in frutose as possible, and nuts for breakfast as I no time or hunger for more, and eat for lunch and dinner protein with vegetables with good olive oil or avocado. Some times, especially tea time when I´m usually hungry I¨ll have a piece of fruit (slices of coconut, kiwi, small pear, raspberries,etc the same as for breakfast) and some nuts (macadamia, walnuts)

And here comes the problem, 15 days after I have put on weight (very little, but weight gain). I know you you are not supposed to use the scale, but as I normally eat very healthily loosing weight was THE goal.

I have always been an atkins fan, but with all the marvelous fruit and vegetables we have in Spain I have always felt I was truly missing out. Sadly I´m starting to think that I´m condemned to cut off fruit again and part of the vegetable intake, and instead of eating nuts (when hunger arrises at tea time) have some non organic salami,. ...so where would be then the difference with atkins diet and whole9 apart from trying to eat as organic as possible?

Can anyone guide me if there´s a different option before saying goodbye to fruits and cut down vegetables, lower good fats intake and, of course, forget about nuts?

Thank you so much in advance

Diminuta, have you thought about adding eggs for protein at breakfast? They can be boiled in advance and are ready to go. It sounds like you aren't getting enough protein or vegetables, which would make you want more fruit and nuts-and those should be "limited".

I've always found that if I eat fruit or fruit and nuts on their own, I either put on weight or find it impossible to lose no matter what else I was eating. If I eat fruit at the same meal as I eat protein, this doesn't happen. So maybe try having some protein in the morning with your breakfast.

i live in Scotland but have holidayed in Spain several times and always loved the choice of foods in the market. I especially loved the various types of fish available. Godd luck

• Moderators

I'm not sure you have begun a Whole30 yet. You are eating fruit and nuts for one or two meals and weighing yourself. On a Whole30, you would eat a serving of protein as big as the palm of your hand and fill the rest of your plate with veggies at least 3 times per day. And you would be focused on foods without an ingredient list. So instead of salami, you would be eating straight beef, pork, chicken, fish, eggs, etc. You can eat between meals if you are hungry, but mini-meals that include protein and fat are preferable to simple fruit and nuts.

Archived