Help me tweak my breakfast

merryheart5

I am post Whole30 but eating mostly compliant. I have found that I love eating the same thing every morning but it doesn't have a lot of veggies. 

I buy a frozen potato blend with onions and peppers that I cook in ghee. Then I brown a chicken sausage. Then I scramble 2 eggs. I was adding half an avocado but figured out that it was hurting my stomach so I sometimes add a piece of bacon or put some coconut oil in my coffee (not ideal I know but I just don't want mayo for breakfast). I would like to keep this basically the same with about a cup or two of added veggies. It's kinda like a breakfast bowl.

I don't want to eat any more peppers and onions or any tomatoes (I think they might also bother my stomach). 

I like the convenience of the potato blend so maybe a veggie I can make ahead (just for my breakfast).

Any ideas?

btw, I rarely have enough leftover anything to include in meal 1. I have a large family and if there are any leftovers they go in hubby's work lunch. 

• Administrators

Roast a tray of veggies and put them aside just for yourself. Roasted veggies reheat beautifully.  My favourite combo is baby potato, carrot, brocoli, red onion, green beans and mushrooms. Roast at high heat (445-450F) for about 25-30 minutes, cool and then put them into a container in the fridge that is off limits to everyone but you?

• Moderators

I am a big fan of canned green beans. Last night I pan fried a catfish fillet and when it was almost done, added a can of green beans to heat as the fish finished cooking. You could add half a can of green beans when you are browning chicken sausage. 

I have roasted Brussels sprouts with my eggs nearly every morning. I enjoy the flavor combination of ground beef w/onion and mushroom, roasted sweet potato, and B.sprouts.  I top this with 2-3 fried eggs. I vary the seasoning; turmeric is especially good.

I keep a bag of defrosted chopped collard greens in my fridge during the week, and add maybe a half cup or so to diced sweet potatoes, diced onions, and whatever protein I'm sauteeing for the morning. Chopped spinach may work, but I find that a sturdier green, such as collards, hold up better to the heat (plus I like collards better anyways). Any dark leafy green would work, though, if you can find it in the freezer aisle.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to give a little update on my breakfast for those that care about such things :) 

I started chopping carrots and zucchini fairly small and adding 1 cup of those to my potato blend. I sometimes add green beans also. So yea for more veggies at breakfast!

I can't wait for cooler weather so I can use the oven more regularly. Roasting trays of veggies will make everything easier!

Archived