Rx Bars

I'm on day 11 of my 2nd Whole 30. I do yoga twice a week and work out at the gym twice a week, all in the morning. I don't like to do either on a full stomach. I have been eating an Rx bar before my workouts and then having meal 1 after. Meal 2 is usually light (protein salad) and then Meal 3 is substantial. I have been having a lot of gas and bloating lately. Does my Rx bar have anything to do with this? It is full of nuts.

• Moderators

It is very likely the RX bar, specifically the nuts in it, could cause gas and bloating. Could you try having something else instead -- maybe a hard boiled egg with some mayo, or some leftover chicken with some olives or guacamole? Some kind of protein and fat would be recommended pre workout, it doesn't need to be a lot of food, just a little bit.

If you want to list a day or two of typical meals, including approximate portion sizes and specific vegetables you've eaten, as well as water intake, we could take a look and see if anything else might be causing issues.

• Administrators

Hmmm....RX bars (and all bar items) are approved during your Whole30 for emergencies only. Long traffic jams, flight delays, 12-hour backpacking etc. They are not actually compliant the way you're using them, sorry.

That said, I would suspect that they are bothering your stomach and the only way to know for sure is to cut them out completely and see if you feel better. Also, the pre-workout recommendation is protein and fat so the RX bar actually misses the mark completely and isn't giving you optimal fuel for optimal performance.

Archived