Doc says no coconut oil..

Warpkatt

I ran the Whole30 by my cardiologist (who LOVES the Mediterranean diet) and he gave me the thumbs up with the exception of coconut oil.   What can I substitute? 

I am day 7 of my Whole30 and so far so good.  I want to make some of the sauces, and a lot of the recipes use coconut oil.  So any help would be great. 

Thank you.

• Moderators

Depending on the recipe, you could use olive oil (can have a strong taste that doesn't work well in some dishes), avocado oil, or macadamia nut oil. If you can find high oleic sunflower or safflower oils, those are milder tasting for uses like mayo or sauces where you want a very flavorless oil. Ghee or clarified butter may also work. If you have specific recipes you're not sure about, you could post the recipe here and see if other people have suggestions. 

As others have noted, a lot of the fears about saturated fat are not valid, but we wouldn't tell you to ignore your doctor if you trust him. You get to research for yourself and decide what you're comfortable with. 

I overloaded myself on coconut oil and coconut milk.  A Whole 30 without either is doable.  I use Macadamia Nut oil for most of my recipes.  Bacon fat, clarified butter,  evoo and so on. My husband cans his own kidney fat for cooking. Wild thing.

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I truly appreciate it! My Doc said no because I have a mild allergy that causes inflammation in my mouth if I swallow it.  I can live without it and thanks to you all I have options!  Day 10 and loving it!

Archived