TamaraD.

hi,

so here is my confusion: the program explicitly says not to create any snacks form the allowed food groups, or not to recreate any foods from the allowed in Whole30 foods, but at the same time they advertise Rx Bars. how Rx bars are different from recreating snack from the allowed in the program ingredients? 

would love to get some feedback on this.

thanks!

hi QuilterInVA,

thank you for clarifying my confusion.

it is  my 15th day today on the program  and really the 2nd day I closely followi the meal template. i have to admit i still have cravings, but try to drink water when cravings hit and for past two days have been holding 5 hour intervals.  its hardest in the evening,  after lunching at 12:30 i am already hungry by 5 when i leave the work and by the  time i get home (6-ish) if i did not  prepare my dinner in advance i most likely to eat something  unhealthy or unbalanced.

when you say Rx bars are for emergencies, does that mean it could be used as a meal replacement? in emergencies of course. I will be traveling at the end of the week so i wonder

19 minutes ago, TamaraD. said:

hi QuilterInVA,

thank you for clarifying my confusion.

it is  my 15th day today on the program  and really the 2nd day I closely followi the meal template. i have to admit i still have cravings, but try to drink water when cravings hit and for past two days have been holding 5 hour intervals.  its hardest in the evening,  after lunching at 12:30 i am already hungry by 5 when i leave the work and by the  time i get home (6-ish) if i did not  prepare my dinner in advance i most likely to eat something  unhealthy or unbalanced.

when you say Rx bars are for emergencies, does that mean it could be used as a meal replacement? in emergencies of course. I will be traveling at the end of the week so i wonder

If you are traveling, that means that you are planning. It's not unexpected and it's not an emergency  :-) Spend some time thinking about where you're going and what your options are, plan ahead, and don't be afraid to take food with you. There are many things that travel well including tinned meats, hard boiled eggs, tinned veggies, olives, etc etc.

There are an infinite number of better food choices than Rx bars, which are (in my opinion) vile. They are a product, not a food. They are a total sugar bomb, having more sugar than protein! They use egg whites, an inferior source of protein, and nuts, an inferior source of fats, and dates which you probably don't need. 

If you are starving between lunch and dinner, eat a mini meal of protein, fat and veggies. Don't "snack". 

The closer you stick to the meal template (which you're only done for 2 days) the more satisfied you will be and the more likely you will be to balance your hunger, your hormones and your cravings and also to become "fat adapted" and able to go longer without eating and by burning fat.

hi ArtFossil,

thanks for the reply. i agree with you on the Rx Bars, it kinda goes against to what the whole30 program is all about.  i also dont get is how dates are allowed in this protocol, even the organic ones with no added ingredients are loaded  with sugar and carbohydrates.

i am not really starving in between the meals, i guess it is more a habit than being hungry. i was told once by  a dietitian that when we feel hungry we really are thirsty, if this makes sense.  so i  have been drinking a a lot of water in between meals and that helps to quench the cravings.

good idea with balanced mini meals, however i really would  like to train my  mind to  keep the 4-5 hour intervals.

Dates are allowed because they a whole food, and as a whole food they provide fibre, and are a good source vitamins & minerals, but yes - they really pack a punch when it comes to sugar so their use should be limited.

If you're suffering from cravings you're must likley not eating enough fat. What do your meals look like? Even if you're managing a 5hr windows between meals it may mean you need to tweak the composition a little...

hi jmcbn,

thanks for the response. 

I am actually figuring it out with each  day what would be a correct plate composition .  For each meal i usually  have enough protein, ample of colorful vegetables that i eat   boiled due to my IBS and season with salt, paper and dash of fat*either olive oil or some ghee. not with every meal i have avocados, but they became more regular for my diet. i am also incorporating green salad with olive oil/ balsamic dressing.  does this sound about right? i also add dash of fruit with each meal- this morning for example- some Blueberries, with my lung just had Kiwi, and may I'll have be another kiwi with the dinner.

Hi Tamara

So long as you're having protein, veg & fat at every meal you're good. When you say 'a dash' of fat though, how much are we talking? It's the fat that will provide satiety so be generous with it - it's hard to go overboard, but very easy (& common) to short change yourself with it.

Have you tried roasting your veg? Boiled veg will get old very quickly and there are lots of other ways to cook veg to keep them interesting and not effect your IBS. Sauteing is another good method, especially for greens.... I'd be more inclined to steer clear of problematic veg rather than boil everything as they tend to lose flavour & nutrients that way.

Hope this helps.

hi jmcbn,

Thank you for the reply and  the suggestions. In population with IBS there is not a big selection of veggies one can have , this being said, i, for example, had a severe reaction on eggplant, that i had no idea i ever have ... thought i think eggplant falls in histamine category.  I started boiling veggies to quench the severity of the IBS symptoms i initially got at the start of the protocol and it helped. and for few day I  had boiled cabbage and/or steamed broccoli. cabbage worked very well, actually it is pretty tasty if one seasons it well with spices and olive oil.  and everyone's reaction to  different veggies are different too.  Now that things got better with IBS i feel more comfortable switching to sauteing and/or roasting.

you might be right about the amount of fat being insufficient in my meals, in out society we are so brainwashed that fat is bad that i might have depleted it. i perhaps use 1/4 to 1/2 avocado with two meals a day and approximately tablespoon of olive oil with each meal, consider cooking with the oil. should this be sufficient?

thanks again for thoughts and suggestions.

-Tamara

5 hours ago, TamaraD. said:

hi jmcbn,

Thank you for the reply and  the suggestions. In population with IBS there is not a big selection of veggies one can have , this being said, i, for example, had a severe reaction on eggplant, that i had no idea i ever have ... thought i think eggplant falls in histamine category.  I started boiling veggies to quench the severity of the IBS symptoms i initially got at the start of the protocol and it helped. and for few day I  had boiled cabbage and/or steamed broccoli. cabbage worked very well, actually it is pretty tasty if one seasons it well with spices and olive oil.  and everyone's reaction to  different veggies are different too.  Now that things got better with IBS i feel more comfortable switching to sauteing and/or roasting.

you might be right about the amount of fat being insufficient in my meals, in out society we are so brainwashed that fat is bad that i might have depleted it. i perhaps use 1/4 to 1/2 avocado with two meals a day and approximately tablespoon of olive oil with each meal, consider cooking with the oil. should this be sufficient?

thanks again for thoughts and suggestions.

-Tamara

You could try following the low FODMAP food list in >this link< (about half way down the page - shop/cook from the green/amber lists & avoid red) as this is what is generally recommended for those suffering from IBS.

As far as fat is concerned a serving of avocado would be a half per meal, and you could be more generous with the oils too - free pour them rather than measuring with a spoon, and ignore the fat you are using to cook with as most of it stays in the pan.

Archived