This time I'll make it - W30+restart

MingoNW

Ok, restart again, and this time I'll make it through. Had a nut binge yesterday, and ALL my vitamins have some sort of oil or soy or corn additive, and my beef broth had sugar. Haven't checked my spices yet but I didn't use any this morning except fresh cracked pepper so I know I'm ok so far. I keep thinking of things I haven't checked for sugar and other stuff and alas, I keep finding the little villains....

Also started the emails and I'm on Day 1 of that so that will help too.

I had always intended to go through until Dec 20th, so I'm not that frustrated about the time. I'm just looking forward to being able to see some changes, and I know that it will take at least 14 days if not over 30 days to see results. It's educating me on sneaky sugars and additives so that's good. And I've been pretty good generally, so it's not like the last 12 days have been wasted.

Now the big thing is that I think I probably ought to give up walnuts for 30 days. REALLY don't want to do that, part of me is saying "DON'T TELL THEM THAT" which is exactly why I should be doing it. It's a binge food and even when I manage to limit myself to 10 to 15 for a few days, I end up going....somewhat over a closed handful after that. Gateway drug!!!! I want to see if I can get away from snacking at all.

Breakfast: 4 scrambled eggs, apple sauerkraut, big pile of broccoli. Pumpkin Rooibos tea

Apple for snack. Could not make it to lunch

Lunch: grass fed beef burger, salad with no dressing because ALAS the Dick's Kitchen paleo bowl had safflower oil in it. Dang it.

Another funny thing - I ate all the onions in the salad thinking I'll just have one of my mints afterwards - oh wait!! no mints for me!!... bad breath with have to do, no toothbrush at work. Good thing I have my own office! Details, details...

Dinner: paprika chicken with avocado and lime salsa, bok choy

Did not sleep well at all.

Took a short walk.

Breakfast: a large chicken breast, a pile of mixed veggies

Snack - a Steve's Paleo Meat stick

Got some Primal Pacs and I'm going to use that for snacking when necessary instead of fruit and nuts.

Lunch: Turkey kielbasa from Trader Joes (ingredients checked!) and a pile of brussel sprouts. Half a sweet potato

I love brussel sprouts but I can see that I'm going to have to rotate veggies because i'm already starting to get tired of them.... Cauliflower and zucchini to be roasted next.

Snack: Primal Pac

Dinner - got lazy. Ate more beef jerky/dried fruit. But I stayed compliant! Just no veggies....

Well, slept around 6 to 7 hours. Would have slept longer but for the cat.....

Breakfast: 4 scrambled eggs in olive oil, sauteed zucchini, half an avocado, some apple sauerkraut. Also, an apple and some cold green tea.

Snack: cauliflower, one Steve's Paleo stick

Lunch: turkey kielbasa, roasted zucchini, roasted cauliflower. Iced green tea

Dinner: chocolate chili, spinach, avocado.

I made it through 16 days and then had a cake binge. I commend you for starting over and learning from it. I also noticed some of the things I had the first 16 days had added sugar and things that I didn't even think to look for so now I'm starting fresh with more knowledge. I will recommend getting rid of the nuts. Just remove them from your house. I would never have cheated if I didn't accept the cake from my nice neighbors who didn't know I was doing a Whole 30. I thought I could keep it in the freezer and not touch it. I had the attitude that for no reason will I cheat and didn't give in at all until the darn cake made its way. So if the walnuts aren't around you have no way of going overboard on them.

9 - 10 hours of sleep!!!!! Awesome..... Best night sleep in weeks.

Had lots of heart palpitations yesterday. I used to get those all the time for about 11 years (no explanation from doctors...) but they went away about 2 years ago, for some reason. Had them like crazy last night. I don't know if the decaf green tea I had was not as decaf or what? I was also experiencing some hormonal shifts as well. Not sure, maybe related. May or may not be whole30 related. Going to watch it.

Breakfast: Paleo deviled eggs - YUMMM!!!

Doing a Well Fed cook-up today! Looking forward to it....

Snack: decaf americano with coconut milk and unsweetened cocoa

Lunch: Chocolate chili with spinach and avocado

Made the roasted chicken thighs from Well Fed, roasting some veggies. mmmmmmm.

Made the Pumpkin Apple recipe from the forum recipe section. YUMMMMMM

I tell ya, this is just good eating. I really look forward to eating this food. Imitating Nom Nom Paleo and cooking the food in Well Fed means I'm eating pretty dang well. Love it!

Also, went for a 2 hour walk/run. 30 minutes was walk/run, and then another 1 1/2 hour walk after that. Felt good! No heart palpitations today so far, and I avoided the green tea. That may have been it. May have to make a new batch to make sure the box I bought is really decaf.

Dinner: chicken thighs, roasted broccoli and cauliflower, some Pumpkin/Apple

7 hours solid sleep.

Went for a run/walk. Not too bad! I upped my pace today, felt good.

Want to run/walk 3 times this week, walk EVERY day (did all but one last week) and meditate every day for AT LEAST 10 minutes. I should be able to squeeze that in!

Very few heart palpitations yesterday, hoping for none today. We'll see.

ALMOST bought "just 5" walnuts yesterday from the bulk bin at Fred Meyers, picked out some partial pieces and of course before you know it I had a good solid "more than a handful...." I put the whole thing back and walked away.... This is by far the hardest part of the Whole 30. I don't care so much about sugar and dairy and not AT ALL about grains, but those damn walnuts.... I keep thinking about the big bin at Whole Foods with these beautiful walnuts.... {sigh}

Breakfast: decaf green tea, Pumpkin apples, hard boiled egg, roasted veggies

Snack: beef jerky, apple

Lunch: salad with braised pork, avocado, radishes. No dressing. SO good...

Managed to go out to a restaurant for a work lunch and I went up to the counter and asked them my fussy questions about the oils and additives, and managed to find something GREAT to eat. I went up to the counter so I didn't have to do it with the waitress at the table and then make the conversation about my diet with everybody. It went very well, and I'm very satisfied!

Hmmm. Some heart palpitations this afternoon... Not pleased...

Dinner: chicken thighs

7.5 solid hours of sleep. I keep getting surprised by my alarm clock. I could definitely sleep longer. Going to try to go to bed earlier tonight...

I think that while the Pumpkin Apple recipe is super yummy, I think it's too sweet for the whole 30, and it may have aggravated my hunger issues yesterday. Retiring that for maybe later....

Went for a long walk this morning.

Had a banana this morning because I'm wondering if I've been missing the potassium and that might be giving me the heart palpitations. I used to eat 3 or 4 bananas in a week.

Breakfast: banana, 2 poached eggs, a pile of roasted broccoli and cauliflower.

Snack: Apple

Lunch: Chicken thighs, a pile of roasted cauliflower and zucchini

Dinner: Chicken thighs

Went to a work party and had no beer and no pizza. Not a problem!

I think 7 hours. Went to bed early, but then woke up at 2:30 and was awake for a little, unfortunately. I turned my alarm to later, and didn't end up walking or running, unfortunately. Trying again tomorrow.

No heart palpitations yesterday. I'm going to try to eat a banana once in a while if I get them back again.

I was less hungry in the afternoon yesterday. I think that was because I had a PILE of chicken thighs for lunch. The snack I had was more to get me through the late afternoon/evening work party without eating pizza. And that worked! Otherwise, I might have made it to dinner without snacking. Maybe. The other problem with the snacking is that I'm not busy at work these days, so I spend a lot of time watching the clock and thinking about whether I'm hungry or not..... If I was busy, I'd be willing to bet this hunger during the day would be less of an issue....

Breakfast: Switching it up! Having Chocolate chili with avocado and spinach! Dinner for breakfast!

Snack: Half an apple! Almost made it through, really didn't need much

Lunch: chicken thighs, roasted carrots

Snack: the other half of the apple.

I definitely think I'm getting less hungry!!! This is huge. I really hope this continues.....

Dinner: Shrimp with lime and ginger, broccoli, and some roasted coconut

Day 8

Slept 6 to 7 hours.

Breakfast: chocolate chili with spinach and avocado.

Already a little more hungry this morning even though I ate the same thing for breakfast yesterday. It may be because of getting less sleep? I'm really focused on this hunger between meals thing....

Snack: apple

Lunch: chicken thighs, a big pile of broccoli, steamed, and a big roasted carrot

People keep commenting on the volume of veggies I've been eating. :) It's great because I used to buy veggies all the time and never eat them soon enough and I'd end up throwing half or more of them away. That is CERTAINLY not happening now!

Got a work lunch tomorrow and Tuesday, makes me a bit nervous. Have to make sure we can stick to the two restaurants in my neighborhood that I can get compliant meals. I'll bring some extra food in case I can't eat out....

Dinner: ground beef, spinach

Day 9

Well. I got laid off from my job yesterday (I'm freelance but have been on a 6 month roll). So I did not sleep well last night. Probably got about 4 or 5 hours of sleep. We'll see how that affects my hunger.

Sleep at the end of the week has been my biggest issue, making it hard to stay on the exercise track, although I did walk this morning, and have walked every day this week. Have not gotten in all the runs I wanted to, though. Nor have I meditated even 10 minutes a day every day. There's always next week! I shall keep trying. Of course, in 2 weeks I will probably have a LOT more time to do all this, and may even be able to get to some Crossfit classes!! No more frozen shrimp for me, though. :)

I am managing to squeeze in time for food prep much more than I used to. Cooked up ground beef yesterday, and roasted some Cocoa toasted cauliflower this morning to take to work with me.

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled in olive oil, sweet potato, some apple sauerkraut.

No snack except for continuing to munch on the sweet potato into the morning because I hand't finished it before leaving since I was running late.

Lunch: the last of the chicken thighs. Roasted cauliflower. Not a lot of chicken left, so not sure I got enough protein. We'll see how that goes for the afternoon.

Dinner: Garlic zoodles with olive oil, italian seasoned ground grassfed beef

Lots of energy today in spite of not having slept very well at all. Same as yesterday.

Day 10

8+ hours sleep!!! Ahhhhh

Feeling pretty good this morning. Very high energy, ready to go for a run!

Breakfast: Ground beef, sweet potato, apple

Planning my cook-up for the day, looking forward to it especially as it's raining and gloomy outside.

Day 10 cont'd

Ok, coconut butter.... Dang that stuff is good! Have to be careful to not let that become a binge food. It was on sale at Whole Foods.

Made some Delicata Squash with Apples and Chili Powder. Also VERY yum!!!

Cook-up includes:

Roasted chicken thighs

Cumin roasted carrots

2 very large roasted zucchini

Cinnamon Beef Stew with Orange Gremolata

Great run today, LOTS of energy!

Lunch: 2 poached eggs, a serving of Delicata Squash with apples. Also snacked on some roasted zucchini and some carrots, and a little bit of coconut butter.

Really did not need to eat before lunch - I just nibbled while cooking because I was eating lunch late. I have not been feeling hungry at night before bed either.

Oh! Also, the walnut craving/obsession is dissipating. I did not look longingly at the walnuts at Trader Joes, however I did visit the bin at Whole Foods. I did not buy any, though. The craving to eat them when I'm really hungry (i.e. 1st thing in the am, or late afternoon snack) is pretty nearly gone....

Dinner: Cinnamon Beef, creamed cauliflower

A little disappointed in the cauliflower, and the beef turned out ok but did not knock my socks off like the chili

Day 11

Good sleep, around 8 hours. Would have slept longer if it weren't for the kids playing basketball outside at 8am....

Had a headache during the night and was pretty hungry. I had half a sweet potato and went back to bed. Could be hormones, or maybe not enough fluids during the day, I don't know... it's gone now.

Tried to make homemade pork sausage patties using ground pork and italian spices from Well Fed. Wound up so salty it was inedible, had to throw it away.... Not happy about that. At least it's MUCH CHEAPER than the stew beef I bought yesterday. Gonna have to figure out how to do this on a budget... A little sad that 3 of the recipes I tried yesterday from Well Fed turned out so disappointing. It's been so great up until now! Either way I'm mostly enjoying all the cooking, except for all the dishes to clean :)

Prepping the "Best Chicken" recipe now. That better turn out.... :o

Breakfast: Delicata Squash/Apples. A little bit of italian sausage. Half an avocado

Lunch: Cinnamon Beef Stew, pureed cauliflowe

Snack: banana before a run, some beef jerky later, and some coconut butter. (probably a bit overboard...)

oh, and coffee with coconut milk and unsweetened cocoa

Dinner: That chicken that's supposed to be the best in the world but isn't so much the best. Broccoli

Good run today, lots of energy for getting stuff done. Very nice!

Day 12;

Slept around 8 hours

Took a walk in the rain and the dark :)

Meditated for 10 minutes (it's a start)

I've decided I am going to try to do minimum of 5 burpees a day. Next week 8 a day. I hate Burpees. A lot. But I want to get better at them, especially if I'm going to take up Crossfit again.... I did 5 today.

Breakfast: 2 poached eggs, Delicata Squash and Apple, A cup of steamed broccoli

Snack: Apple

Lunch: Chicken breast, roasted zucchini

Was very binge-y yesterday with the coconut butter. Feeling less so today but I am still THINKING a lot about walnuts today :)

Had heart palpitations yesterday and this morning... Not too many. I did have a banana yesterday, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

MingoNW - Sorry about your job situation. :(

I am concerned about your palpitations going on for so long, especially after years with none. Have you contacted your doctor about it? If you have a low potassium issue, or an electrolyte imbalance or other issue going on, it needs to be addressed. If you are working this hard to be as healthy as possible by eating well and exercising, include your doctor in your plans to make sure you aren't missing something!

Other than that you have been making some great meals. Other than the coconut butter binge...

I have been to the doctor ENDLESS times about the heart palpitations, and feel no need to go again unless they become constant (i.e every hour of the day, which has happened). Doctors have never had a concern, nor have they had an explanation. Being uninsured, I see no need to go through several thousand dollars worth of tests to get the same answer. Honestly, I think it could be the walnuts, because when they went away a few years ago, that was the only thing that had changed in my life - I was eating a lot of walnuts. It was either that or just hormones changing with age. If my hormones are shifting with this diet, that may have something to do with it.

OK good to know. I just read through your log and saw multiple posts about the palpitations, which seemed to be worsening, and put my RN hat on to investigate. The body can be a challenging puzzle when it comes to things like this. I am pleased doctors checked you out before and weren't too concerned with your symptoms. It's not surprising to have odd symptoms and no diagnosis. Happens all the time until the doctors can put enough of the puzzle pieces together that the picture (diagnosis) becomes clear.

Day 13

Sleep? Well....not so much. Maybe 3 hours? Weird dreams and a big headache, lots of tossing and turning.

I had some walnuts yesterday. Not too many, but I did have some. Didn't keep my word but generally I've been good about it and I don't think it's non compliant as much as it was giving in to comfort food and breaking my word.

Today is another day. I threw out the Coconut butter!!! Goodbye gateway drug....

One of the weird dreams I had last night after watching several episodes of Homeland involved me getting into sort of a manic state and without realizing what I was doing I had eaten some cheesy crackers and totally messed up my Whole30. :) LOL

Breakfast: Banana, Chocolate Chili with spinach

Archived