2nd Time Around starting 1 October

SeaQueen

On 10/3/2016 at 2:54 AM, Jackiejo1979 said:

I'm starting my 2nd Whole30 today (10/3).  I had a successful first Whole30 in August.  I was a bit concerned about my sugar dragon being under control when I finished.  The little voice in my head was telling me to just continue with Whole30 for a couple more weeks, make sure the dragon was "down", but I chose to reintroduce sugar and other foods.

My reintroduction phase has NOT been going well.  I feel out of control and eating way too much sugar.  I need the simplicity (and structure) of the Whole30.  There's comfort in knowing that I'll eat 3 great meals a day, drink lots of water, and won't be hungry.  

For me, right now, it's safer to be a NO sugar, NO dairy, NO grain person.  Passing up the dairy and grains is easy.  Since I can't seem to moderate my sugar consumption, however, it's best to eliminate it until the dragon is slayed.  

I'm a long distance runner.  My body requires fuel.  Gotta eat, but gotta be smart about it.

Love these forums and sharing experiences with others....

Are we related!? ;)

i am the same way. 

Starting my second W30 tomorrow and so excited. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys! Starting the W30 for the 3rd time...I have made incredible progress, but have so far to go. I got the new Hartwig book, FFF, and it caused me to face the fact that really I have NOT grown beyond the basic W30. I still have massive room to improve my habits and impulse control to get to a point where I do not have to think about this All. The. Time. to make it work. My big goals are 1)template meals 2) putting fork down between bites (quantifying 'mindful eating') 3) NOT EATING (MUNCHING/TASTING) DURING PREP AND CLEANUP (This is a HUGE struggle for me. And no, I'm not hungry) 4) drink tea post meal to foster the habit of this as a 'treat' rather than my overwhelming cravings for something sweet.

I am tracking my progress on these points in a journal, because I'm very visual and I LOOOOVVVEEE "checking things off". I am writing out a very basic menu for the week on Mondays (we have bunch of kids and endless evening activities so planning is absolutely crucial to avoid falling face first into a box of frozen pizza).

What strategies is everyone else leaning on, learned from the school of hard knocks (previous W30's :) ) ???

Hi everyone! Just a quick Hello. I'm still with it. Jumped over some hurdles of trying to find things to eat at places that are not whole30 friendly, but I did it. I'm getting tired of nuts again. What are some snacks do you suggest? When I get home from work, I just need something to tie myself over til supper. 

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, HarleyMonet said:

Hi everyone! Just a quick Hello. I'm still with it. Jumped over some hurdles of trying to find things to eat at places that are not whole30 friendly, but I did it. I'm getting tired of nuts again. What are some snacks do you suggest? When I get home from work, I just need something to tie myself over til supper. 

If you're truly hungry, have a combo of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. A hard boiled eggs, maybe with some mayo. Some guac and vegetables.  A few bites of whatever leftovers are in the fridge. You don't really need special snack foods.

54 minutes ago, HarleyMonet said:

I journal everything I eat as well, plus I total up all the nutria all values for the day. It's amazing how much sodium one consumes without ever adding salt to my cooking or plates. 

We would encourage you not to track calories and other macros each day. Even if you think you're just summarizing and not allowing them to affect how you're eating, sometimes seeing numbers can cause us to restrict certain foods if we perceive we might have had too much of them.

Day 11 for me, and things are going so well I'm suspicious. Shouldn't I be having more cravings? They even had still-warm homemade cookies in a meeting the other day and all I thought was, "Yup, those look good. Whatever." I guess I'll take it while it lasts!

1 hour ago, HarleyMonet said:

I guess I didn't mean "snack foods", just ideas of proteins to get in during the day. 

There really are only so many options, aren't there? I guess the thing to try is mixing it up with seasonings. 

Like the first time around I am not having any craving for the "bad habit goodies". Went to a meeting tonight with refreshments. Luckily there were nuts. Took my squirrel self and passed up all the desserts. For me, it's easier to say, no I can't have it rather than portion my food which always leads to more later. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived