2nd Time Around starting 1 October

SeaQueen

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to get on a thread like this, and this came up when I searched "Second Time Around!"

We (my husband and me) did our first Whole 30 this past July/August. We just got back from an Alaskan Cruise and started our second Whole 30 on Tuesday September 27. We didn't go wildly off-plan during our vacation, but certainly enjoyed plenty of wine, a little bread, and some cheese. I also had lots of yummy fish and fresh veggies.

I feel like I'm wearing all of my indulgences on my face; my skin is all broken out... so it feels really good to detox again. I really feel like this plan is a warm hug that I have looked forward to falling back into once again.

I'm curious to hear experiences of others who have done this multiple times. Do you feel like it's easier the more you do it? I feel that way already; because we weren't so far off course, I don't think the shock to the system has been as great as we eliminate all the forbidden items. But of course, I'm only on Day Three.

Hints and observations are of great interest... and thanks for starting this thread!

Stephanie

Starting my second on October 3. I tried doing it a second time before and dropped off almost immediately. I'd read that a second can be harder than the first, but didn't take the warnings seriously and didn't plan well or have the right mind set. But now the timing is right and my head is in the right place, so I'm ready to get back on track.

I am there with you  first one was much easier for me to stay compliant and much harder the other times. 

On 9/29/2016 at 2:19 PM, stealthstitcher said:

Starting my second on October 3. I tried doing it a second time before and dropped off almost immediately. I'd read that a second can be harder than the first, but didn't take the warnings seriously and didn't plan well or have the right mind set. But now the timing is right and my head is in the right place, so I'm ready to get back on track.

I am starting on Mon. I have had 1 successful whole 30 and a lot of failed attempts. The last one I did make it to day 25 which was huge for me. I am addicted to fast food, sugar in any form, and love my bread and dairy. Only they don't love me. I have weak adrenals and chronic congestion and a cough that just won't go away. I have a lot of skin rashes and other seasonal allergies that are not seasonal but year round.  I know when I've done this in the past I've seen in a significant improvement in my allergies and skin rashes. I have just gotten to the point where in order to handle these allergic reaction I need to back to eating clean. And this has been my most successful action on staying on a Paleo type plan. Sometime you just got a jump off and go for a very very strict plan  And in fact someways is almost makes it easier when I am being this stricked. There is not a lot of great areas. I also have to stay away from garlic, onions, cooked tomatoes (very limited raw), most peppers, and citrus. I don't handle them very well. They generally cause stomach upset. I may actually just eliminate all nightshade vegetables all together. But I do love my compliant ketchup. 

My goals for this round are

1. Take another crack at the sugar Dragon.  This time around I want to look at how I use fruit and other starchy vegetables. I know I need a little bit of some at each meal in order to make sure that I stay full longer. But I need to make sure that I am not doing them at times of stress, upset, or boredom.

2. Focus more on food prep and making sure I have not only the prepping and making of food but also keeping my kitchen cleaned and organized. 

3. I want to add more exercise into my week.  

4.  Work towards the 3 meals per day. Currently my Dr has me on 4 per day because of adreanal issues and hypoglycemia. I will play this by ear and see how it goes. I will always ask am I hungry enough to eat fish & kale. If yes then I know I am hungry.

I look forward doing this with all of you. 

I used to be on a low carb forum, and people would talk about the "Golden Shot," meaning the first time on the plan is when it works best, and it never works that well again. But I see a lot of people here who have done numerous rounds of Whole 30 with success, and I feel encouraged by that.

I like the short-term nature of the Whole 30. You don't have to think in terms of never having certain things for the rest of your life. Like they say, you can do anything for 30 days!

Stephanie (Day 5, Round 2)

Great! Go you!

I made ghee on Tuesday after getting back from our trip. While we were gone, my mayo had separated and got all weird on me, so I tossed that and made a new batch yesterday. Cleaned out the fridge and hit the farmers' market, the health food store, and the grocery store all on Friday, so we're well stocked with tasty options. Such a good feeling.

Rock on!

Stephanie (Day 6 Round 2)

21 hours ago, EJSmadhatter said:

I am starting on Mon. I have had 1 successful whole 30 and a lot of failed attempts. The last one I did make it to day 25 which was huge for me. I am addicted to fast food, sugar in any form, and love my bread and dairy. Only they don't love me. I have weak adrenals and chronic congestion and a cough that just won't go away. I have a lot of skin rashes and other seasonal allergies that are not seasonal but year round.  I know when I've done this in the past I've seen in a significant improvement in my allergies and skin rashes. I have just gotten to the point where in order to handle these allergic reaction I need to back to eating clean. And this has been my most successful action on staying on a Paleo type plan. Sometime you just got a jump off and go for a very very strict plan  And in fact someways is almost makes it easier when I am being this stricked. There is not a lot of great areas. I also have to stay away from garlic, onions, cooked tomatoes (very limited raw), most peppers, and citrus. I don't handle them very well. They generally cause stomach upset. I may actually just eliminate all nightshade vegetables all together. But I do love my compliant ketchup. 

My goals for this round are

1. Take another crack at the sugar Dragon.  This time around I want to look at how I use fruit and other starchy vegetables. I know I need a little bit of some at each meal in order to make sure that I stay full longer. But I need to make sure that I am not doing them at times of stress, upset, or boredom.

2. Focus more on food prep and making sure I have not only the prepping and making of food but also keeping my kitchen cleaned and organized. 

3. I want to add more exercise into my week.  

4.  Work towards the 3 meals per day. Currently my Dr has me on 4 per day because of adreanal issues and hypoglycemia. I will play this by ear and see how it goes. I will always ask am I hungry enough to eat fish & kale. If yes then I know I am hungry.

I look forward doing this with all of you. 

The sugar dragon. isn't that the truth. You don't realize how much it has a grip on you till you do without it.  I'm glad that the cravings will decrease as time goes on and we starve the dragon:)

Went shopping yesterday and today for good foods for me. Prepped protein and veggies to have them ready for the week. Tracking my food and each day I plan to make a goal for myself. ( like try something new, get my steps in for the day, drink more water, share a healthy recipe, etc. 

I'm starting my 2nd Whole30 today (10/3).  I had a successful first Whole30 in August.  I was a bit concerned about my sugar dragon being under control when I finished.  The little voice in my head was telling me to just continue with Whole30 for a couple more weeks, make sure the dragon was "down", but I chose to reintroduce sugar and other foods.

My reintroduction phase has NOT been going well.  I feel out of control and eating way too much sugar.  I need the simplicity (and structure) of the Whole30.  There's comfort in knowing that I'll eat 3 great meals a day, drink lots of water, and won't be hungry.  

For me, right now, it's safer to be a NO sugar, NO dairy, NO grain person.  Passing up the dairy and grains is easy.  Since I can't seem to moderate my sugar consumption, however, it's best to eliminate it until the dragon is slayed.  

I'm a long distance runner.  My body requires fuel.  Gotta eat, but gotta be smart about it.

Love these forums and sharing experiences with others....

I'm starting my 2nd Whole30 today (10/3).  I had a successful first Whole30 in August.  I was a bit concerned about my sugar dragon being under control when I finished.  The little voice in my head was telling me to just continue with Whole30 for a couple more weeks, make sure the dragon was "down", but I chose to reintroduce sugar and other foods.

My reintroduction phase has NOT been going well.  I feel out of control and eating way too much sugar.  I need the simplicity (and structure) of the Whole30.  There's comfort in knowing that I'll eat 3 great meals a day, drink lots of water, and won't be hungry.  

For me, right now, it's safer to be a NO sugar, NO dairy, NO grain person.  Passing up the dairy and grains is easy.  Since I can't seem to moderate my sugar consumption, however, it's best to eliminate it until the dragon is slayed.  

I'm a long distance runner.  My body requires fuel.  Gotta eat, but gotta be smart about it.

A mixed day... my day didn't start out so well! Before I got up this morning, I turned over in bed, maybe too quickly, and had a terrible vertigo attack. This was a new one on me. I felt like I'd had too much to drink and the room was spinning. A little later I went to wash my hair, and when I ducked my head down, the room started spinning again. I canceled out of a meeting I had scheduled and went back to bed. After sleeping for a while, I did feel better.

Things are good now; chocolate chili on the stove and a quiet evening at home planned. It's been kind of a strange day, especially wondering what caused the vertigo and whether it will happen again. I'm hoping it was just a one-time thing. We did a cruise the week before last and flew cross-country a week ago, so maybe my ears are having a delayed reaction.

Hope everyone has been having a great day!

Stephanie

I started 2nd time around today, October 3, 2016.  I finished my first one in May, felt great and have been trying to get back on track after two week vacation.  I agree with those who want to curb the fruit.  I love fruit but I think that is what gets my sugar going.  First time around I didn't do well with reintroduction phase.  Plan to do better this time.  I love wine and that has been my biggest down fall.

I started 2nd time around today, October 3, 2016.  I finished my first one in May, felt great and have been trying to get back on track after two week vacation.  I agree with those who want to curb the fruit.  I love fruit but I think that is what gets my sugar going.  First time around I didn't do well with reintroduction phase.  Plan to do better this time.  I love wine and that has been my biggest down fall.

Oh Good. I think I finally found the right thread. Started my 3rd W30 on Monday, 10/3.   I feel like it's pretty easy because the learning curve isn't as steep as the first time.  I am, however, fully aware that the detox and no-wine whining will arise at some point !  Good to have the support of this forum.  Happy Whole 30 to everyone !

Archived