Starting Today

EmilyVT

Today is my first day of the Whole30 and I'm scared.  I just came of off the Omni Drop diet, like today is my first day of reintroduction (totally unhealthy, I know) and am worried that eating the food on the Whole30 is going to make me gain the weight I just lost.  I have a terrible relationship with food and the scale. I've been struggling for years and need to break the cycle.  I'm in a wonderful marriage with a happy and healthy 3 year old and a good job.  I cannot keep taking time away from the most important things in my life to weigh and measure every ounce of food I put into my mouth.  HELP, I'm a wreck.  On the bright side, I love the foods on the program and have been staying away from dairy anyway so I feel that's a headstart. :-)

Hi Emily,

Welcome!  I'm not familiar with the Omni Drop diet but I'm also starting the Whole 30 today and happy to support you.  Sounds like you could use some food freedom which is my main motivation along with some inflammation I'd like to get rid of.

Angie

• Moderators

Hi, @EmilyVT.

If you've been restricting food in the past, counting calories or fat grams or carbs or whatever, there is a good chance that as you transition to eating plenty of real, whole foods that you could gain some weight at first. I'd encourage you to stay off the scale for at least 30 days (one of the rules of whole30 anyway) and perhaps longer, instead focusing on how you feel, if you sleep better, have more energy, clearer skin, etc.

Long term, if you're eating healthy foods, you're going to get healthier and your weight will get to a healthy weight for you. It may take time, and it may not be the exact weight you're hoping for, but you'll be healthy. 

It is very freeing not to have to weigh your food out or track every single bite, and I think if you can just not worry about the weight for a while, you'll notice other improvements that will help motivate you to stick with it.

I started today as well! I am very anti-diet, but wanted to get off sugar and carbs in hopes of increasing energy -or at least balancing it out. I love that we don't have to measure or weigh food- it makes me too pre-occupied with food and it leads to obsession. I also like the food because my husband and kids can eat all the same food so it doesn't seem too difficult or weird. I also don't want my little girls to see me "dieting". 

I am so happy to find others who are dealing with the same struggle this month...and we are doing it through Halloween (kind of scary for a sugar freak like me!)

Archived