Starting Monday, 10/24- looking for support group

CristinaV

Happy Day 11! I'm giving blood this afternoon and am hoping that with all of the meat I've been eating, water I've been drinking, etc that it'll go smoothly.  I looked on some forums to see if others have given blood while in the middle of the whole 30 and it looks like it's okay to do.  I know I'll have to eat something afterwards, so I have an apple and almonds for that purpose... otherwise, they try to give you all the sugary snacks! 

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAY 12!!

So today my goal is to be POSITIVE. I have been complaining a lot, but I realized yesterday afternoon at work, that I don't feel exhausted, sluggish, dull or hungry. I was often feeling this way from about 2-6 PM every day. It was making it difficult for me to finish the work day strong and fit in a worthwhile work out. Some days I would get to the gym only to work out at 50%, and I would leave tired and disappointed in myself. 

However, this week I have been able to stay up to around 10, happy and alert, sleeping well the last two nights and waking with out extreme fatigue. I went to the gym last night and worked out for 45 minutes which is rare for me, I am usually struggling to stay for 30 minutes. 

I am getting used to the food, and I haven't had any cravings. My hardest time/battle is still my evening meal. With breakfast and lunch, I eat my plate, I feel full and go about my day. At night I have a hard time finding the full sensation, and I find myself eating more and more to obtain it- often times overeating and making myself feel bad. I am a work in progress!

I am drinking more water than I ever thought possible. I have found that I actually prefer regular/plain water to flavored- who would have thought. I have also found a love for black coffee- I don't think I will be going back to my sugar substitutes. I am enjoying trying different brews with by boyfriend. 

I still don't notice any body changes...I am hopeful!?!

Meals today:

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs cooked in olive oil, 1/2 sweet potato with ghee, tomatoes slices and diced fresh jalapeno. 2-3 cups of coffee. After this place I felt full, no need to wrap up with a serving of fruit which has been my normal this past week. 

Lunch: Pork breakfast sausage with sweet potato hash and 1 egg cooked in olive oil. 1 banana. 

Dinner: Same as breakfast but no jalapeno, & no ghee (I didn't like it on my potato). I will probably add some previously frozen spinach to my eggs. Apple and 2 tsp of Justin's Almond Butter. Kombucha. 

Tonight's workout- not sure yet, it is supposed to rain... so if we have football I will walk with my audio-book, or if it is cancelled we will head to the gym. Both bags are packed :) .

Wow, Day 11! I actually lost track for a couple days and wasn't thinking about it. CONGRATULATIONS, Everyone!!!

My day will be WEIRD today with doing some tests for my doctor that require an even stricter diet all day today.  So far I'm okay, aside from a headache, but I'm not sure how my body is going to feel later this afternoon. Really the only thing I could add to my diet (for this test) that I can't have, is rice or quinoa, which isn't worth it to me to break my WHOLE30 for. I'll just need to eat lots of meat today and I had just eggs for breakfast.  My body doesn't usually do very well when I just eat eggs, so again I'll see if I can make it till lunch when I get to have a breast of chicken. Woohoo! Then...I get to do this again in two days for another test. UGH!!! At least maybe when I'm done with this I will be LOVING my veggies and fruit even more so!

Other than that, I've been doing well and enjoying all the meals so far. I think I over bought my food this week too, as I ended up having to improvise a couple dinners do to schedules and now the testing, so hopefully my veggies will last through the weekend. 

I won't bore you with my meat and eggs menu today :)  I'm super sore from my crossfit last night and woke up at 4am and had a hard time going back to sleep because my legs were hurting.  TOMORROW IS FRIDAY!!! It can't come soon enough. I'm dreaming of my sleep on Saturday morning.

2 hours ago, PaulaWala said:

I tried a couple more recipes from Whole30 book.  I really loved the Greek Salad, Chicken meatballs and Chicken Chowder.  It's day 11, we've passed the 1/3 way mark.  I find that I have over-purchased some vegetables and fruits, they are going bad on me before I can eat them all.  With veggies I can roast them and freeze them for the most part (except salad greens) but my grapes and apples are going to rot before I can get them eaten.   I though that I would have a serving of fruit several times a day but I'm too full by time I eat everything else on the meal template. 

Breakfast: 2 salmon cakes mixed with guacamole over spinach greens, 1/2 apple

Lunch: Leftover chicken chowder

Supper: pork chop with Asian Slaw

You can cook apples and freeze them, or make the applesauce (savory, not sweet) that goes with the porkchop recipe in the book.  It was delish!

Hey, guys! 

I'm only on day 9, but last night I REALLY struggled. I'm attending a wedding this weekend and spending the night in San Francisco the night before. It's such a struggle not to eat and drink in SF. That's what that place is made for. I thought seriously about taking a single day break from Whole30 for the night in SF (not the wedding--most wedding food is pretty boring), but then I know that's not a true Whole 30. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

My meals today are..

Breakfast: a scramble of homemade turkey sausage, 2 eggs, broccoli

Lunch: a little bit of leftover chicken and veggie stir fry with almond satay sauce over a bed of greens, hard boiled egg, pear

Dinner: shepherd's pie from the book

Pre WO snack: turkey slices and almonds

Post WO snack: turkey slices and a small baked sweet potato 

@kimmiann1202 I can understand the struggle you are having. I do not suggest stopping at this point for one weekend of pleasure, you started this process for your health (I am guessing) and that means 30 days...I really think you will feel stronger after you stick with your 30 day commitment. When I have gone out with friends drinking, I order a club soda with lime and a few olives. It looks like an alcoholic drink so no one asks me why I'm not drinking. Also, you will have a lot of healthy food choices in SF I would imagine, my theory is keep it simple. GOOD LUCK :)

@maggie_h You are speaking my language- I feel so thankful I am not alone in this phase. Today I feel slightly less heavy and bloated, pants fit more like normal-- so fingers crossed, I just pasted what they say are the worse days. I do get worried about the amount of fat we are consuming...but I have read the books and I am committed to the process. :)

1 hour ago, tiglilygirl said:

@FightingHashi GOOD LUCK!! I hope you get the answer to your struggles soon. Have you stocked up on other proteins such as sausage or bacon, it may help reduce your egg intake. 

Unfortunately the testing period only allows for lean meats. I so wanted to include sausage and bacon, but I can't. I did see fish on the list, so I'm going to have some salmon tonight.  Hopefully that will at least satisfy not having to just eat chicken and eggs all day. 

Just now, FightingHashi said:

Unfortunately the testing period only allows for lean meats. I so wanted to include sausage and bacon, but I can't. I did see fish on the list, so I'm going to have some salmon tonight.  Hopefully that will at least satisfy not having to just eat chicken and eggs all day. 

Does turkey bacon count as a lean meat? I found some compliant turkey bacon at whole foods that was actually the best turkey bacon I've ever had. Wellshire Farms was the brand.

1 hour ago, kimmiann1202 said:

Hey, guys! 

I'm only on day 9, but last night I REALLY struggled. I'm attending a wedding this weekend and spending the night in San Francisco the night before. It's such a struggle not to eat and drink in SF. That's what that place is made for. I thought seriously about taking a single day break from Whole30 for the night in SF (not the wedding--most wedding food is pretty boring), but then I know that's not a true Whole 30. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Not a suggestion per se, but just want to offer encouragement as someone who works in SF and is doing a Whole 30 that you can do it and still have a great, delicious, fun time! Remember your commitment to yourself and how empowering it is to be doing something so good and healthy for yourself and let that help fuel your time here. SF is so much more than drinks. There's a pretty big health conscious community here and consequently compliant food. I know you can enjoy your time here and I also do hear your struggle. Check in with us here if you're struggling! You rock for doing this. 

On Monday, October 31, 2016 at 2:42 PM, FightingHashi said:

Speaking of sleeping, I've never slept well anyways before this process and I can't say I've felt any change, but I see some of you are suffering.  Does anyone have any good natural or other sleep remedies? I've heard good and bad notes on Melatonin (because it's a hormone) which I use from time to time. And then I have my prescription sleepers that I really try not to take because they actually make me more jittery before I fall asleep and they really don't help that well and make me wake up groggy.

I take 3 mg of melatonin nightly.  It works very well for me.  I never have a problem falling asleep when I go to bed, but if I don't take melatonin I wake up after a couple of hours and can't get back to sleep.

On Tuesday, November 01, 2016 at 7:19 AM, PaulaWala said:

Where did everyone go from this group that started on October 24th?

I'm still on the plan.  Halloween was very busy at my house (I have a 6 and 8 year old).  I worked 12 hour shifts Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  This is the first time I have had free time to be online.

I'm struggling tonight. Not because of the program, but because of the testing I'm doing and lack of ability to eat. I had to stop eating after dinner and now I have to fast for 12hrs and then take a 3hr test in the morning. I'm already STARVING!!! I can't wait to have some egg roll in a bowl for a brunch tomorrow as soon as my test is done.  

9 hours ago, FightingHashi said:

I'm struggling tonight. Not because of the program, but because of the testing I'm doing and lack of ability to eat. I had to stop eating after dinner and now I have to fast for 12hrs and then take a 3hr test in the morning. I'm already STARVING!!! I can't wait to have some egg roll in a bowl for a brunch tomorrow as soon as my test is done.  

Thinking of you today. Hope all goes well.  Enjoy brunch!

I struggled with cravings yesterday....I wanted corn tortilla chips and cheeseburgers. I was out running errands and felt so "hungry" despite only being an hour or two since my last meal.  I did the plain chicken and steamed broccoli trick (if this sounds good to you then you ARE truly hungry) and realized I wasn't really hungry. It was just my brain that was hungry.  It passed and I made it 5 hours until the true hunger kicked in. 

Here's today: 

Pre WO: mackerel with mayo, coffee with coconut milk

WO: 60 minute OTF

Post WO: chicken breast, black coffee

Breakfast: If needed maybe something small, HB egg, mayo and veggie soup

Lunch:  leftover Moroccan meatballs, zucchini noodles, green salad, olive oil dressing, olives,

Dinner: leftover smashed chicken, veggie soup, sweet potato with ghee

Thanks for the reminder about the chicken and broccoli trick, @snowflower. I forget to use it in the moment!

Today's my San Francisco trip. I researched a few restaurants and other things to do in SF besides eat and drink to enjoy the city. I also stocked up on nut butter packets, apple sauce squeeze packs, nuts, dried mango, and pumpkin seeds for emergencies. Thanks for the encouragement yesterday, everyone. I'm still in and on day 10.

Loving the affirmation and motivation on this board, team! @FightingHashi it's almost over!  

So, yesterday wasn't too great but it's partially my own fault.  I wanted to give blood at our drive... I've been drinking so much water, my iron level is amazing b/c of all the meat, and my other measurements were really, really good.  I sometimes have a vasovagal response (BP drops suddenly and I pass out) when donating and sure enough I passed out at the very end after they tied everything up. They gave me some orange juice which I'm sure was not compliant... I only had about half of the small can before I switched to water.  I wish I hadn't but I was out of it and listened to the doctor.  Had an apple and an RX bar to recover.  I ended up eating more than an average day yesterday because I felt weak and thought smaller meals spread out would help me to feel better.

DAY 11 (yesterday)

B: beef, kale, onion, cauli rice stir fry + sweet potato soup --- L: pesto chicken and baby tomatoes over spinach w/ carrots, cauli mesh. --- Pre-donate: raw almonds / Post-donate: OJ, water, apple, RX bar  ---- D: stuffed pepper + sweet potato soup   --- Snack: piece of brisket, scoop of avocado, scoop of almond butter.

DAY 12 (today) ...determined to not let yesterday get me down!  We have visitors coming and a big game day, so it'll be a fun weekend.

B: hard boiled eggs, zucchini and cauli rice stir fry --- L: Chipotle carnitas salad w/ salsas, guacamole, extra lettuce, La Croix --- D: Don't know yet but likely something I can take with me, we'll be out and about.

HAPPY FRIDAY, EVERYONE!

Day 13!

Last night I found myself in a bit of an emotional funk, I felt teary eyed and sad. Today I have a short temper and feel very grumpy! UGH! It is rainy and cold out so maybe that is a contributing factor?? I just feel that my mood is completely irrational today...for instance I forgot my son's school bag with his snack and homework at home. I didn't have time go to home and pick it up and it has me all upset. He wasn't even upset---probably because I was upset enough for the two of us..ridiculous! (He is in first grade...so it shouldn't make me this upset!)

Last night I was able to get the gym for about 40 minutes and I had a good work out. I still struggle with my overeating at my evening meal. But last night I finished my plate, which had plenty of food. Drank a big glass of water and then took a shower. After I got out I wasn't so hungry, had some herbal tea and kombucha- a success for me!

Food plans today: 

Breakfast: three eggs scrambled with spinach cooked in olive oil with salsa, wholly guacamole, part of a sweet potato and black berries and raspberries. (Today was the first day that I really was over and done with eating eggs..guess that goes with my whole mood today).

Lunch: Premade Paleo Chimichurri Chicken with mixed veggies cooked in olive oil. Apple with tsp Justin's Almond Butter.

Afternoon plans: Work out, groceries and foot ball practice (if the rain stops)

Dinner: Apple Turkey Sausage, sweet potato, tomato slices, avocado and diced jalapeno.  Olives and a few raspberries. Kombucha. 

I hope you all have a great Friday! 

Day 12 for me! Feeling good.  I did get on a scale - couldn't help it! ;)  The scale is not relative I know.  Surprisingly only 1lb down in 12 days but again, not important. I'm staying focused on the nutrition and the plan.

B: Egg Fritatta with ground beef, carmelized onion, tomatoes and bell pepper, sliced cucumbers and coffee with Nutpod creamer

L: chicken breast with mixed greens & apple slices

D: spaghetti squash, sliced beef (leftovers) and mixed greens.

I truly appreciate all the support!!! I'm down to about 10min of my fasting test...STARVING, feeling nauseous and completely foggy brained right now. Looking at all the food everyone's posting is making me grateful for the good foods we've been eating and if you're ever feeling deprived of certain foods, do a meat diet for a day and then you'll be begging for veggies :)  I'm supposed to do this same type of test in the next few days, but I'm not sure I can handle it again.  I'll have to chat with the doctor.

Any how, with this testing I wasn't thinking about my meals ahead this morning. I do know I'm about to have some egg roll in a bowl very soon and for dinner I believe I was making some Mediterranean meal I found online that I can't even think to know what it was right now. WOW, I need food! LOL

So I think we're on day 12...so we're almost HALF way. Keep up the good work!

Archived