Starting Monday, 10/24- looking for support group

CristinaV

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, FightingHashi said:

This sounds delish! Did you just roast the squash and broccoli in the oven? 

How'd you make this? I LOVE Salisbury steak and haven't had it in forever! My mom sadly raised me on boxed foods, but I love the Salisbury steak growing up.

Okay, so I don't want to feel like I'm coming on here complaining each day, so I'll start with the good! I feel like I'm less bloated (99% of the time) and do feel like I'm probably starting to lose a little weight or just like I've flushed the "crud" out of my body that I was consuming before. I have no desire to pick-up unhealthy foods or sugars.  Due to my Hashimoto's I've gained weight each month for the past two years (no matter what I tried), so to finally feel like I'm not is a HUGE HUGE victory for me. Plus, I finally met my new Endocrine Dr. Monday and she placed me on the proper dosage of meds for my thyroid.  Sadly, I had to leave CrossFit last night after I got bad heartburn and I'm going back to the Gastro today for my major GERD issues. Wish me luck!  I'm thinking I may need to continue to modify my diet for Paleo/GERD. I was hoping just eating Paleo would cleanse my body and rid of whatever is causing it, but that hasn't been the case and unfortunately it's actually been flaring up more since I started, so I'm obviously eating foods that it's not liking.  I promise I'm not a walking medical basket case, I've just had these two issues for the past two-plus years, which is what led me to WHOLE30. I'm just finally feeling like I am finding some helpful tools and getting where I need to be to feel like "me" again!

Last night after coming home from CrossFit I felt so defeated by my GERD and was upset. I was in such pain I couldn't even muster the ability to make the egg roll in a bowl, plus I was thinking so much cabbage would only aggravate my bloat/heartburn I was having.  My husband (who can't boil water, but I LOVE him anyways) could see I was upset that I didn't know what to eat because I couldn't make the dinner I had planned and was stuck on the couch. Knowing I am trying so hard to stay healthy he offered to make me some breakfast since he's seen me do it the past couple weeks. By the time he got started and was attempting to cook I was feeling okay enough to get off the couch and help him. I was feeling so supported and loved by him in that moment. He didn't tell me to quit or to just have "junk food" instead. He knew I wanted to finish this through, regardless of how I felt. 

Wow, that was a long story today. Anyways, so I'm here...pushing through and just needing to obviously get my GERD under control. Here's what I have planned today.

B: Same ol' same ol' (for now)  I plan to change it up when I do next weeks grocery shoping. I think I'll try the crab cakes that were suggested.

L: Chipotle (because I didn't have dinner leftover) - Lettuce, carnitas, pico and guac

D: Egg roll in a bowl (let's try this again!)

WO: Crossfit (I better not have to leave again today)

He sounds like a great guy :)! Have you ever been evaluated for a hiatal hernia? That can sometimes cause persistent GERD symptoms. Just a thought! I am glad you are still with us! :)

44 minutes ago, snowflower said:

@FightingHashi do you take a PPI or an H2 inhibitor for your GERD or are you trying to go without meds?

In the beginning, when this all started (August of 2014) I tried every PPI in the book. I saw a handful of doctors and did an endoscopy at that time. They found nothing except some irritation in the stomach lining, and nothing helped it settle down. It's actually silent reflux because my throat is just on FIRE 24/7 (I almost NEVER have the heartburn I had last night). I have "good" days when I only lightly feel it and bad days when I want to rip my throat out! The burning is caused by acid getting up into my throat. I can go on and on about my list of symptoms and what I've done, but I won't bore you. I've read website after website and I've done diets to cut out acidic foods, non-dairy diets, gluten-free diets, etc.  The last "diet" I went on helped a little, but I still would have flare ups and it still hurt, even though I was literally eating the same foods day in and day out and not changing what I ate. I'm feeling like it's a lost cause, but it CAN'T be, it consumes me on a daily basis. And I've had doctors ask about stress, and what I always tell them is the ONLY thing that stresses me out, is this problem! LOL 

I also started on 10/24! Happy Day 10 everyone! I hope it's going well! I did Whole30 about a year and a half ago and finally worked up my nerve to do it again. :) I told my husband I was going to try it again (he remembers the crankiness from the first time) and he took it upon himself to warn the kids. Ha! Since I have a family I would say the biggest challenge is dinner because that's the one meal we all eat together. Breakfast we are all on our own, and the kids are at school for lunch. I don't want to make my family crazy by fixing total Whole 30 foods but still have compliant options on the table. I suppose as of today that's my biggest challenge. Emotionally and physically I'm feeling pretty good, although that can change tomorrow! 

Keep strong everyone! We are 1/3 through it! 

2 hours ago, FightingHashi said:

In the beginning, when this all started (August of 2014) I tried every PPI in the book. I saw a handful of doctors and did an endoscopy at that time. They found nothing except some irritation in the stomach lining, and nothing helped it settle down. It's actually silent reflux because my throat is just on FIRE 24/7 (I almost NEVER have the heartburn I had last night). I have "good" days when I only lightly feel it and bad days when I want to rip my throat out! The burning is caused by acid getting up into my throat. I can go on and on about my list of symptoms and what I've done, but I won't bore you. I've read website after website and I've done diets to cut out acidic foods, non-dairy diets, gluten-free diets, etc.  The last "diet" I went on helped a little, but I still would have flare ups and it still hurt, even though I was literally eating the same foods day in and day out and not changing what I ate. I'm feeling like it's a lost cause, but it CAN'T be, it consumes me on a daily basis. And I've had doctors ask about stress, and what I always tell them is the ONLY thing that stresses me out, is this problem! LOL 

UGH!  That sounds horrible.  I'm so sorry to hear that you're suffering.   I'll keep my fingers crossed that the Whole30 provides you with some insight into what aggravates it.

So we're 1/3 of the way through and I'm not feeling like I would hope to be feeling.  The book says these are the hardest days and the ones most likely to quit.  Well, that makes me want to stick with these next 2 days - just because.  I think the slightly smaller servings are helping.  I honestly think I was eating too much the first week.  I find myself thinking about what I have coming up, when my next meal will be, and adjusting a little based on those factors.  If it's going to be a while (4-6 hours) and away from food and potential stress/stressors, I'll have a bigger meal.  Else I'll go smaller.  

Also feeling like it is too much meat.  So working on switching that up too.  I had hoped to be able to choke down some chicken on this program since it seems like such a popular choice, but I just can't do it.  

PS.  Here's to SO support!  My fella's been good too and I appreciate it.  He's been eating a lot of what I'm eating (adding his extras - rice, bread, soy sauce, hot sauce, whatever) but not making any cracks or being obnoxious or anything.  Oh, and stopping at the store when I realize I read an ingredient wrong and need something!  

15 minutes ago, habanero said:

I don't get it.  Do you need a special tool?

Yes.  I have a spiralizer.  I have this fancy one https://www.amazon.com/Spiralizer-Tri-Blade-Vegetable-Strongest-Heaviest/dp/B00GRIR87M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1478120070&sr=8-2&keywords=paderno+spiralizer+3+blade

but there are ones for around $10 on amazon or at Bed Bath & Beyond.

12 minutes ago, snowflower said:

Yes.  I have a spiralizer.  I have this fancy one https://www.amazon.com/Spiralizer-Tri-Blade-Vegetable-Strongest-Heaviest/dp/B00GRIR87M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1478120070&sr=8-2&keywords=paderno+spiralizer+3+blade

but there are ones for around $10 on amazon or at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I have too many gadgets already!  lol

Of course, now that I clicked on the link I'll see nothing but spiralizers day and night on my computer.  

@habanero I just bought a spiralizer last week on Amazon as well, it's very small, fits in my gadget drawer and works really well. So far I've just used it for the zoodles (zucchini noodles). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KIVD1PC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 In case you're interested in something small and cheap. 

Also, I need some guidance!  I just got back from the gastro doctor. Honestly, he was not very helpful and felt like he was going through his list of typical tests he runs for everyone and wasn't caring to listen very well. We've already done a few in the past (which I had to remind him of) and so he tossed me a couple of breath tests for at home to send to the lab. My "GERD" has been very bad the past week or so, and so I need to figure this out. BUT the breath tests require certain DIETS for 24hrs before. The one I want to do first basically says you can only eat certain meats (which are compliant), but NO Veggies or Fruits, nuts, seeds, sugar (in any form) and the other food options I can eat are eggs, rice and quinoa (big no no).  My question is, can I do the WHOLE30 for a day while only eating meat and eggs? I'm torn. I really want to get these tests done ASAP, as they then take another almost two weeks to get results back. @ladyshanny?

20 minutes ago, FightingHashi said:

My question is, can I do the WHOLE30 for a day while only eating meat and eggs? I'm torn. I really want to get these tests done ASAP, as they then take another almost two weeks to get results back. @ladyshanny?

This shouldn't even be a question.  Health is first.  The sooner they can figure out what is wrong, the sooner you can start working on relief.  You'll be in my thoughts!

33 minutes ago, habanero said:

This shouldn't even be a question.  Health is first.  The sooner they can figure out what is wrong, the sooner you can start working on relief.  You'll be in my thoughts!

Thank you, Habanero!  I am curious though if I can stay compliant while just having meat for 12hrs. Doesn't sound pleasant, but it would be better than starting my WHOLE30 all over again. :) 

@FightingHashi That's so tough, definitely sending positive vibes.  You'll make the right decision!

@tiglilygirl I'm with you on feeling the weight gain.  Everything else seems to be happening according to the detox "schedule" but I expected to begin feeling a little leaner at this point.  I have never been a scale person so it's not a number but I am very aware of my weight.  Do you think it's the fat?  I'm trying to make sure I'm not going over template with that.  Also going for smaller portions... my portions have seemed rather large, but I was trying to fit the template.

B: 1/2 grilled zucchini, cauli & broccoli, 2 eggs with Franks

L: protein salad (chicken version from Whole30) over romaine, La Croix

D: It was a stressful day and I had plans to start cleaning the apartment for visitors/a party we're having this weekend after work... so while I cleaned, my husband started (and finished) making stuffed peppers from Whole30 page 222 for us!  We subbed leftover chili sauce for tomato paste and cauliflower rice for squash.  They were good!  I also had cauliflower mash on the side... and then a spoonful of almond butter.  This Game 7 has me wanting a drink so bad...

Eating my Egg roll in a bowl as we speak. I really like it! I didn't make the sweet and sour sauce, but I bet that would make it even better! SUPER easy meal and it made a TON of food. I could easily use it for 3 days more of lunch meals. I also love cabbage, so that probably helps.

THANKS everyone for your support along the way with my health issues tossed into the mix. I'm a Mariners fan, but GO CUBS!!! :P 

• Moderators

@FightingHashi 

As long as what you do eat is compliant, then you're still on your Whole30.  There's a famous line somewhere that Melissa says if you just want to eat (complaint) bacon and almond butter for the whole 30 days, that's technically a Whole30 so I think that if you can handle the 24 hours for the breath test of just the meat/eggs, then you're good to go.  You can do it!

17 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

@FightingHashi 

As long as what you do eat is compliant, then you're still on your Whole30.  There's a famous line somewhere that Melissa says if you just want to eat (complaint) bacon and almond butter for the whole 30 days, that's technically a Whole30 so I think that if you can handle the 24 hours for the breath test of just the meat/eggs, then you're good to go.  You can do it!

Yay! Thank you! Meat and eggs it is!

Can someone explain why all legumes are out?  Aren't there any that comply?  Really starting to get tired of all the meat.  

Also, the last few days I've been waking up 4-4:30am (after about 5 hours sleep) and no matter what I do I can't go back to sleep (after about an hour I relent and pick up the phone).  Too early to get up, so I lie there for about 2 hours - then fall back asleep.  It is screwing up my work day.  Any comments or suggestions?

I found that I was too busy to get to the computer too for a couple of days.  I am keeping true to the plan.  I love the food so there is no problem with eating.  It is a lot of work to prep, and clean up after but I think it is worth it.  I doubt I've lost any weight, at least my clothes don't feel like it.  I'm waiting for some NSV to occur, I'm thinking that I should feel less gi distress by the end of this week.

Thanks for responding and keep up the good work.

22 minutes ago, habanero said:

Can someone explain why all legumes are out?  Aren't there any that comply?  Really starting to get tired of all the meat.  

Also, the last few days I've been waking up 4-4:30am (after about 5 hours sleep) and no matter what I do I can't go back to sleep (after about an hour I relent and pick up the phone).  Too early to get up, so I lie there for about 2 hours - then fall back asleep.  It is screwing up my work day.  Any comments or suggestions?

Legumes can cause problems for some people...inflammation, tummy troubles, etc.  During my first whole30 I discovered during reintro that all legumes were fine for me except soy....those caused bloating and bad stomach pains.  Give it another 19 days and then see how they affect you during reinto.

25 minutes ago, habanero said:

Oops forgot to comment on the sleep.....this has happened to me with past Whole30s, as well.  Can you go to bed earlier?  Get up and exercise or go for a walk?

This will pass too.  Hang in there.

DAY 11.....had a wine craving last night.  First time that has happened since starting.  

My dinner was amazingly delicious.  It was so simple, but so good.  I had mushrooms and onions on a beef burger with mayo and the best broccoli ever that I posted yesterday.

Today is this:

Pre WO:  mackerel in olive oil with a spoon of mayo

WO:  50 minute OTF

Post WO:  2 lamb meatballs, chunk of potato, black coffee

Breakfast:  nothing yet, it's hard with the pre and post WO meals.  I'm wondering which would be better.....skip pre WO and eat normal breakfast Post WO OR stick with Pre and Post WO meals and not eat a regular template breakfast?  This is the same issue I have run into in the past.   I'd love some guidance here...... 

Lunch:  Leftovers from dinner -- burger, mushrooms, onions, mayo, roasted broccoli, maybe a banana or grapes

Dinner:  Crispy Smashed Chicken (my daughter's fav) with homemade ranch dipping sauce or sesame seed spicy sauce, veggie soup, green salad, leftover broccoli (if there is any), leftover roasted butternut squash

I'm feeling good.  Sleeping good.  Start my new job on Monday, so have a few days of freedom left.  Sunday will be a big cook-up day for me.

I tried a couple more recipes from Whole30 book.  I really loved the Greek Salad, Chicken meatballs and Chicken Chowder.  It's day 11, we've passed the 1/3 way mark.  I find that I have over-purchased some vegetables and fruits, they are going bad on me before I can eat them all.  With veggies I can roast them and freeze them for the most part (except salad greens) but my grapes and apples are going to rot before I can get them eaten.   I though that I would have a serving of fruit several times a day but I'm too full by time I eat everything else on the meal template. 

Breakfast: 2 salmon cakes mixed with guacamole over spinach greens, 1/2 apple

Lunch: Leftover chicken chowder

Supper: pork chop with Asian Slaw

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, habanero said:

Here's an article explaining legumes: http://whole9life.com/2012/09/the-legume-manifesto/

As far as sleep, the last thing you want to do if you are wanting to get back to sleep, is pick up any blue-light emitting device. I would agree with trying to go to bed earlier and probably also working on your sleep hygiene. I've linked a couple articles below that are helpful. Basically, eliminate blue-light emitting devices like phones, tablets, computer screens, televisions and LED lights at least a couple hours before bed. Create a cool, dark, quiet environment to sleep. Ear plugs and a face mask if necessary. Do know that in the first couple weeks of Whole30, people can experience disrupted sleep but it does level back out again. You could also try a magnesium supplement before bed. The soil in North America is nutrient depleted and as such most, if not all of us, are magnesium deficient. Magnesium helps with sleep and can also regulate bowel movements if that happened to be an issue for you. Natural Calm (unsweetened) is a decent recommendation.

http://whole9life.com/2014/09/improve-your-sleep/

http://whole9life.com/2014/09/improve-sleep-quality/

Archived