Small Town = Hard times

SDolezal

I am on Day 5 of my first Whole 30. My husband & I are having a VERY difficult time finding meats we need. We live in a very small town surrounded by even more small towns. The closest whole food is about 75 miles away. So, our only option is HEB. I have found a ground turkey that has the ingredients as "Ground Turkey Breast, Natural Flavoring" it is 99% lean and 1% fat. Would this be okay?

I have even tried local butchers and I can only find beef. Chicken & Turkey will be my challenge. 

I'd be wary of "natural flavors"...could have soy or MSG or who knows what.

Have you looked online?  There are lots of meat delivery places and you can find just about anything.  It'll likely come frozen, but you'll know what's in it.  I've used Amazon and http://grasslandbeef.com/ in the past.

Also if you google "food coop" or "local meat" you might be surprised what you'd find!  There might be something close to you that you never knew about.

• Moderators

Yes, natural flavoring should be okay. If it contained soy or sugar or something, it would have to say somewhere on the package.

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but remember that recommendations for organic, pasture-raised, etc. are just recommendations, you can do this with conventionally raised meats. You might also look in the frozen meats section as well as the regular section, and if your store has a butcher, you can talk to them as well about what you're looking for.

Archived