Laura B Whole30 #2!

Laura B

Today I am starting my second W30! I did my first W30 from July 11-Aug 9, but have kept it pretty clean since then. I just returned from a week vacation with the most off-roading yet. I had pizza, wings, cake and sushi! Oh and a lot of booze. The pizza was really not all that great, btw. We were at a rehearsal dinner and it was all they had.

ANYWAY-- here is what I want to accomplish for this W30:

• No nuts--especially NO nut butters (including coconut)
  • Only 1 serving of fruit per day
  • Must try at least 2 new recipes each week
  • NO snacking! Must be a mini meal!
  • Log workouts
  • Get beauty products as natural as possible
  • No shopping (aside from food, of course)
  • Start each day with a positive thought
  • No TV after 9pm

This W30 will lead me right up to my 27th birthday which is November 14. I mostly wanted to get in a W30 before the holidays and especially to reel myself back in after this vacation. I think my skin is still suffering a bit from acne and some psoriasis (small patches have shown up lately due to stress) which is why no nuts. I also want to try some new things like making my own kombucha and possibly pate!

Day 1

Quote for today: “Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours†-Swedish Proverb

Breakfast: 7:30 am

kale, squash, shallots, 1/2 avocado & 3 eggs

c433a07816bd11e2aa6822000a1ea033_7.jpg

Lunch: 12:30pm

Normally a salad, did not take a pic today. Mixed baby greens, cucumber, tomato, carrot, olives, chicken thighs & wholly guacamole. Small granny smith.

4:30: 8 oz kombucha

6:00pm CrossFit. WOD:

Skill: snatch balance

6 minute of:

15 Cleans, Power or Squat

9 Shoulder to Overhead, Press, Push Press, Push Jerk

6 Snatch, Power or Squat

Did 32# x 85 total reps (2 rounds +15 cleans + 5 OH) = 2,720

Dinner: ~8:00pm

burger, carrots, brussels sprouts, & sweet potato

41394e92172711e2b7ea22000a1faf3c_7.jpg

Day 2

“The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity.â€-- Benjamin Franklin

Breakfast: 7:30am

3 eggs over sauteed squash, onions & mushrooms, steamed cabbage and 1/2 an avocado.

dd9584ce178411e2876222000a1fbcf1_7.jpg

Big Ass Salad: baby greens, tomato, cucumber, carrot, chicken thigh, wholly guacamole. granny smith apple

Kombucha around 3pm, snack at 4:30: applegate hot dog, small tomato, about 6 kalamata olives

CrossFit WOD 6pm:

Skill practice, Back Squat 2, 2, 2, 2, 2 Got to 108#. Hoping to get up to my body weight by January!

10 Muscle Ups (subbed 10 pull ups w/green band & 10 bench dips)

400m Run with Sandbag(s) AHAP (35# sandbag)

400m Run

20 Handstand Pushups (subbed pike PU)

Time: 9:02

Dinner: 7:30pm

Leftover beef burger, sweet potato and Ratatouille (made of eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, tomato, mushroom, onion with garlic EVOO & rosemary)

623ea50817d911e2b05e1231380f8950_7.jpg

I almost forgot about my food list! Started my color coded excel spreadsheet yesterday. B) Went and hung out with my pops last night after dinner. He is in pretty good spirits. His left foot is really swollen and I think it is starting to bother him. Not sure what that came from, but I feel pretty bad since it's such an accumulation of issues at this point. Saying prayers for him each night. Overall it was a good day!

Day 3:

QOD: "A healthy attitude is contagious but don't wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier." -- Author Unknown

Sleep: It has been an adjustment getting back into our sleep schedule. Was just on vacation last week where we slept until about 10am everyday (we were in a basement at Craig's parents house so nice and dark!). I have felt really tired the past 3 mornings getting up. I am taking the night off from CrossFit so I can relax a bit, cook shepherd's pie (2nd new recipe for the week!) and get to bed early. Oh and I should probably finish unpacking. <_<

Breakfast: 8:00am

3 eggs, sauteed brussels, onion, zucchini & cabbage, 1/2 avocado

a9896f5a185211e2a74f12313820474c_7.jpg

Lunch: ~1:00pm

Big Ass Salad: baby greens, tomato, cucumber, carrot, chicken thigh, 5 jumbo olives, wholly guacamole. apple

ad860112188511e29c6622000a1f9e4a_7.jpg

Had some olives when I got home from work and munched on some raw cauli while I prepared dinner.

Dinner: ~7:30pm

Well Fed's Cottage Pie (beef instead of lamb) and steamed cabbage

78570ada18b311e2b13b22000a1e9e60_7.jpg

I forgot to add the egg whites to the beef, and didn't cook the cauli before I processed it, but it was still very yummy! Will definitely make it again.

Day 4:

QOD: Life engenders life. Energy creates energy. It is by spending oneself that one becomes rich.--Sarah Bernhardt

Sleep: Was feeling a little run down yesterday, so took a night off from CF. Got to bed about 9:15 and asleep by 9:30, kept waking up, though. I've been suffering from night sweats lately, not sure if that is a stress trigger or blanket/boyfriend trigger. I had my natural calm before bed and everything, I think it was the TV stimulation and then right to bed.

Sauteed brussels, zucchini, mushrooms & onions

75429cc4191711e2973e22000a1e88a9_7.jpg

Lunch: ~ 12:00pm

Big salad--baby greens, cucumber, tomato, carrots. Made chicken salad with a baby chicken thigh, fried up an egg for more protein, wholly guac & an apple

Snack ~5:00

No handy protein, so I just noshed on some leftover ratatouille, olives and cherry tomatoes.

CrossFit WOD: 6:00pm

Skill practice, Clean & Jerk 10x1 progressive. Got up to 87--PR!

“Jackieâ€

1000m Row

50 Thrusters 45/33

30 pullups

Holy thrusters, batman!! They were killer. Subbed negatives for pull ups...and looking at the WOD I think I may have mis-counted my pullups! Dammit! 10:18

Dinner: 7:45ish

Leftover pie from last night, steamed cabbage & carrots, small sweet potato & a hot dog. I was HUNGRY!

7b3782d2198211e284b222000a1fbcf6_7.jpg

Day 5:

QOD: No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.--Eleanor Roosevelt

Sleep: I slept much better last night. Ditched the down comforter and I think that helped. I also think I tend to sweat at night when I don't workout? I think my body is trying to save me from waking up to pee so I sweat a bunch, but then the sweating just wakes me up and I still have to pee. So maybe not.

Breakfast: ~ 7:00am

Zucchini, mushrooms, onions, collard greens, 3 eggs, guacamole

64ce66da19de11e2ab4c22000a1cdd3a_7.jpg

Snack: Was at a work function this morning, had a Larabar in my purse. Glad I did, ate it at 12:30 to hold me over until I got to the office. My other choice was this:

c95b9eb21a0911e2bf2722000a1fbc66_7.jpg

Umm, no thanks. :)

Lunch: ~2:00

Big salad of lettuce from my CSA (either bibb or butter, not sure), tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, scallions, some pepper & basil, with a can of salmon, wholly guac pack & an apple!

fa5eb33a1a1a11e2ad6322000a1cdb13_7.jpg

Pre workout, had 1 applegate hot dog & some olives

CrossFit WOD ~6:30

60 KB Swings 1.5/1 pood

10 Squat Snatch 135/95

30 Air Squats

10 Power Snatch 135/95

Did 1/2 pood, 33# bar & did OHS instead of Squat Snatch, finished 7:38

Dinner: ~8:00

Grilled porkchops with braised cabbage (holy CRAP! so good!!), sweet potato. I really wanted an apple after dinner, but I had some tea instead.

Day 6

Breakfast: frozen blend of squash, cauliflower, broccoli & carrots, steamed cabbage, guacamole, fried plantains, 3 eggs

Went to a competition at my CF at 8:30 to volunteer. Did not have sufficient food supplies to pack a lunch, so I brought an apple. Ate that at about 1:00 when we finally had a break. They bought lunch for the volunteers from Moe's, and I would have gotten something paleo had I not been in the midst of a Whole 30 so I politely declined. I truly was not starving by the time we left (which was 4:30!), but definitely wanted to eat when I got home. Thank you, fat adapted body!

"Lunch"-- leftover porkchop, side salad of butter lettuce, tomato & scallion with oil & vinegar, a small sweet potato with coconut oil, a hot dog with mustard and an apple.

My legs are so tired and sore from the workouts this week and from standing all day. Phew. The competition was really fun! Was glad to participate.

Edit: Since lunch was so late (at about 5pm) did not eat a "dinner". Munched on some carrots & mayo around 8pm.

Day 7

Breakfast: pepper & onion mix, carrots & collard greens all sauteed together, 3 eggs & avocado. Golden delicious apple.

Lunch: Roasted buttercup squash, caramelized onions & mushrooms, skillet burgers, small mcintosh apple

Dinner: My own eggplant lasagna creation. Sauteed beef & onion mixture layered with sauteed kale, diced tomatoes & roasted eggplant. It was very yummy!!

d2fa04681bdf11e2ac3122000a1fb77a_7.jpg

Had a nice weekend. Was super tired after the competition on Saturday. We slept in until like 8 on Sunday! Very excited about that. I went on a cleaning frenzy after the boys (boyfriend & roommate) left the house. Vacuumed the house & the blinds! Finished up some laundry and then went grocery shopping while BF made his own hot sauce with peppers from our garden.

Day 8:

QOD: "Happiness is not a station to arrive at, but a manner of traveling." -- Margaret Les Runbeck

Steamed frozen veggies, Broccoli Normandy mix (cauli, broccoli cuts/florets, zucchini, squash & carrots) & spinach. Dabbed some coconut oil on top with curry & cumin powders + black pepper. 3 eggs, 1/2 avocado.

Lunch:

Usual salad, baby spring mix, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, a few olives, wholly guac & a leftover burger. Apple & seltzer also made it into the lunch box :)

Today we start the Fundamentals class at my CF. It will be MWF for the next 3 weeks. Not sure if we will get a WOD in or what. I have a Bday dinner to go to (at a pizza joint of all places!) tonight and will be eating a salad with chicken.

Pre WOD snack: applegate hot dog, 1 carrot, a few kalamata olives & spicy brown mustard (not on the olives duh)

WOD: Fundamentals was cool. Just me, and one new guy and our head coach who is really good at what he does. We practiced some random movements for flexibility/mobility and then practiced low bar back squats. I hit a PR of 120# today! I probably could have done more, but we didn't have time.

Then we did a 5 min AMRAP of:

5 burpees

15 air squats

I got through 5 rounds + 3 burpees. Phew!

Dinner: Went out to eat for a dear friend's birthday at a pizza joint. I got a huge salad of baby greens, spinach, black & green olives, jalapenos, banana peppers, tomato, apple, avocado and chicken. I used their herb vinaigrette dressing since I had checked beforehand that it was soy free. :)

Really trying to refrain from ordering some coconut butter! I keep thinking about how good it is, but if I have any at my house I will eat it like crazy! I'm also feeling a bit headachy...not sure where it's coming from. Would like for it to go away! Typical Monday

:rolleyes:

Really trying to refrain from ordering some coconut butter! I keep thinking about how good it is, but if I have any at my house I will eat it like crazy! I'm also feeling a bit headachy...not sure where it's coming from. Would like for it to go away! Typical Monday

:rolleyes:

Stay strong and stay off Amazon!

I am an Amazonaholic so I know how dangerous it can be. You aren't supposed to be "shopping" during this Whole30 anyway right? Two reasons to stay away... ;)

Laura, I love your log. It alwaiy7s gives me so many good ideas. And your photos are amazing. Do you use your camera phone and Instagram? I had Instagram but deleted it because I didn't know how to use it . Do you have any suggestions for me.?

Also please tell me what a Prime membership with Amazon is. I get so much from Amazon. It is really addicting.

Laura, I love your log. It alwaiy7s gives me so many good ideas. And your photos are amazing. Do you use your camera phone and Instagram? I had Instagram but deleted it because I didn't know how to use it . Do you have any suggestions for me.?

Also please tell me what a Prime membership with Amazon is. I get so much from Amazon. It is really addicting.

Oh, thank you Nancy! You are so sweet. I am really trying to make new things since I got stuck in a saute rut for a while. My food was always good, just always seemed the same.

I use Instagram because it is easier to upload the pics onto the log (well I guess it's easy I haven't tried any other way!) You can log in to your instagram on the computer at http://web.stagram.com/ then you go to MY PHOTOS and click on the photo you want to add to your log. Then you right click on the image and select "Copy Image Location". Then in your log you click on the little green square to insert an image and paste the hyperlink into the box that comes up. Voila!

Amazon Prime is really cool if you order a lot of things from there. You get free 2-day shipping on most things, and if you have a kindle you can borrow thousands of titles on your kindle. There are also options for streaming movies and TV shows for free. It is $79 a year and I get my money's worth during the holidays alone.

Day 9:

QOD: “The trouble with not having a goal is that you can spend your life running up and down the field and never score.†- Bill Copeland

Breakfast: 7:00am

Frozen veggie blend, steamed with frozen spinach, 1/2 avo & 3 eggs

cdad626a1d0211e2a7d622000a1d0360_7.jpg

BAS: 50/50 mix, carrots, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, olives, guac/mayo dressing, chicken breast & an apple

Dinner: Braised cabbage (with carrots & onion), flounder, sweet potato, apple

9b577ed61d5c11e28d7e22000a1f8cf4_7.jpg

Day 10:

QOD: â€It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark.†- Howard Ruff

Breakfast: ~7:00am

Leftover flounder and cabbage from last night, steamed veggies, 2 eggs and 1/2 avocado

9bf26b4a1dc911e2b71422000a1e9f9b_7.jpg

umm not sure why I put a filter on this one :ph34r:

Sleep: Has been more consistent. No night sweats since I ditched the down comforter. Guess it's time to say goodbye to it?? Our bedding is interesting...BF has these 2 old quilts that he loooves and sleeps with every night. He pretty much burritos himself in the quilt and sometimes gets under my sheet/blanket? It's odd, but it makes him happy so it's OK. I think the quilt makes him feel safe in a way since he moved down here in January.

In other health related news, I am just starting the FAM and took my first temperature this morning. I stopped taking the Pill about 3 weeks ago. I am excited to be free of hormones. Just waiting for them to get out of my body now.

Lunch: I have my BAS all made and ready to go. The mayo/guac combination from yesterday was really good...thinking I might need to add a dab before I leave the house. Anyways the salad is my usual. So far we aren't totally sick of eating salad for lunch which started when BF did his W30 from 8/20 to 9/18. It's just so easy to buy all the "supplies" and fix it up in the morning.

CF Fundamentals 5:00pm

We practiced Press, I got to a PR of 56#!

Then we did a 10min AMRAP of:

200m run

8 situps

8 pushups

I got through 4 complete rounds, and then a run and 1 situp.

Dinner: shepherds pie take 2, steamed green beans and a sweet potato. This time I remembered the egg in the beef, added a bunch of mushrooms to the beef and creamed the cauliflower a lot better. It was SO GOOD.

b3ca47541e3911e298dc22000a1fc2d3_7.jpg

Day 11

Had a big meeting for work this morning so I did not even get on the computer at all! This was big for me as I normally spend about 30 min when I wake up drinking my coffee on the PC. I went right into prepping my lunch and getting our veggies for breakfast done. I am going to try to do this more often. I've been trying to watch a lot more of the local news as well...tyring to get myself away from the Internet so much. I get sucked in. :huh:

Breakfast:

Steam/sauteed broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms & onions, grilled bratwurst & 1/2 avocado

75013aa41e9411e2adac22000a1fbe03_7.jpg

Lunch:

Big salad, 50/50 mix, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, carrots, shallots, mushrooms, chicken breast & wholly guacamole & mayo. apple

Snack: Apple & some kalamata olives

So far I have dont pretty good about 1 fruit per day. I am being a bit more lenient when I have an eventful day. Lots of running around today. I had to present to about 40 of our clients in my dad's place today. He normally speaks at our training classes, but was not up to it today. He had already asked me earlier this week if I would help him so I was sort of prepared. I went to pick him up and he wasn't feeling well (which he really had to feel bad because he LOVES doing that stuff).

Going to CF tonight at 6pm for a regular workout. Here's what's in store:

Skill:

Clean & Jerk 10 x 1 (progressive)

WOD:

5 Rounds

20 KB Swings 1.5/1 pood

15 Goblet Squats 1.5/1 pood

Rest :30 seconds

Got 12:50 RX

Dinner:

Beef burger with onions & mushrooms, steamed/roasted eggplant, grilled asparagus & a sweet potato

Was really hungry and forgot to take a pic. My honey made dinner tonight! :wub:

Day 12:

Ok, I am officially in a funk. While I have good reasons (my father's ailing health), I am getting upset over really stupid things. For instance, I was looking forward to the leftover shepherd's pid this morning. I was going to split it up for Craig and myself only to discover that he already ate it!!! I wasn't even mad, I was sad because he didn't think about saving me some. It was especially disheartening because I do like 90% of the cooking and I put more effort into getting food and making sure we have everything we need. I usually end up spending a bit more on food, also, but that is more due to choice.

Gaahh I am glad it is Friday. I have been on the verge of a meltdown these past 2 days, though. My dad's health isn't so great...and while it hasn't been confirmed to me by my parents or doctor, I believe he only has a few months left. His official diagnosis is a Malignant Pleural Effusion, and the prognosis for this isn't good. He has been in a lot of pain lately, and his foot is really swollen. I just feel so bad for him that he is in all this pain and that it hurts him to walk. I mean it's one thing that he has a catheter and he has to drain his chest daily, but the poor guy has trouble getting around now. :(

I am also seriously considering quitting my second job at Old Navy. I really like the extra money and love my discount, but it just seems so petty to give my time to something other than my family right now. They need our weekends open and I just don't feel right putting ON as a priority. I am going to talk to them tomorrow when I go in for work.

OK....time for some happy thoughts.

QOD: â€When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.†- Franklin D. Roosevelt

(seems rather fitting today)

Breakfast: Sauteed carrots, onions, kale & mushrooms, 3 eggs & wholly guac pack

Snacked on some cherry tomatoes, a few carrot slices and a couple olives before I left the house around 10. Then I got to work and was greeted with THIS:

3e90970c1f7b11e2a95722000a9f09e9_7.jpg

I was so excited about something healthy on the junk table I ate one! And I'm not sorry. :D

Lunch

Big salad, 50/50 mix, cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, chicken, wholly guac pack, a few olives and an apple.

CF Fundamentals: 5pm

I got scolded for going to the Thursday WOD. Oops :D . I guess my head coach wants us fresh for the Fundamentals class, which I understand. But I am paying a lot for this so I kind of don't care. :P

We worked on pull ups, specifically the kipping. I was doing pretty good at kipping, but have to work on that pull part! Then we practiced deadlifts and I was excited because I hadn't done them in a while. Then we did a quick metcon

7 min AMRAP

5 Press (25# I think? Could have gone heavier for sure)

5 Deadlift (83#)

I got through 9 rounds + 2 presses

Dinner:

Grilled chicken breast, carrots in a foil packet (with coconut oil, cumin, cinnamon & red pepper flakes) also grilled, steamed grean beans & onions and a sweet potato with ghee & pumpkin pie spices.

4b6c51341fc411e2b0c912313b089111_7.jpg

Oh Laura, I am so very sorry to hear of the pain your Father is in. That must be terribly distressing for the entire family. Yes I do think it would be wise to quit the second job. You family needs you now. You only have one Father and you need to be able to spend as much time with him as he will allow. He won't be around forever and regrets are so hard to live with.

You QOD is so perfect today. And I have to tell you that those quotes have meant so much to me. It really gives me a food for thought for the day. Thank you so much. Your quotes and your photos are the two things that have kept me going when the times are tough. I don't often mention the things I am going through...maybe I should, but I have never been one to share my inmost problems with others.

But I just want you to know that you have been an inspiration to me.

Now go hug your Dad.

Nancy! You are making me tear up. Thank you so much for your support and kind words. It feels pretty amazing to have helped even one person just by sharing my food & words. :wub:

It is actually pretty difficult for me to talk about what's going on in my brain/heart/family/relationships. I think it comes from a family who likes to keep secrets. People ask me how my dad is doing and it is a knee-jerk reaction to say "He's fine :)". Part of that is because I don't want to go into it and breakdown, the other part is because I don't know how else to respond. Talking about what is going on and how I feel is something I am really working on. I have discovered that I often wait for someone to ask me about it, even though they probably have no idea especially since I hold everything in. I found that you just have to start talking about it with friends. Just blurt it out. It feels so much better!

What is really and I mean really difficult for me is my job. I do work for my dad so it can be really tough to go into work and everyone asks me how he is doing or what is going on. I think my ambition has seriously dropped as some kind of unconscious suppression or something. Hard to get away from my thoughts. I also feel like I go through periods where I am grieving even though he is still very much here. CrossFit helps a lot...I don't think about anything else when I am there.

I am very sad that my dad is going through all of this, but I am thankful for the time I have. I am trying to cherish every little conversation and time spent together. I find that I am always learning in every situation and I hope to never stop learning.

Day 13:

QOD: “An obstacle is often a stepping stone.†- Prescott

Breakfast:

Steamed frozen veggies, 3 eggs & wholly guac pack. Felt rather lazy this morning. But I did get this in the oven for lunch/dinner:

79335a1e202711e2ab3822000a1fc30a_7.jpg

Lunch: Leftover beef burger, some eggplant, a few carrot slices, some of the pumpkin from this morning and an apple.

When I got out of work, I had a larabar and stopped by TJ's on the way home. I got a package of flattened dried banana...probably shouldn't have! LOL oh well!

Put in my 2 weeks notice today so I feel a bit relieved. BF bought some steaks for dinner. We are all hanging out and watching football. A great Saturday!

Dinner: Steaks, w/mushroom & onion on top, roasted broccoli & carrots

c58af30c208811e28a6422000a1fc312_7.jpg

Archived