Red Wine Vinegar and Cooking Spray

Brian Williams

I've read everything and searched the forums. I know balsamic is okay, but is red wine vinegar okay? Ingredient list reads: "Red wine vinegar reduced with water to 5% acidity, natrual falvors from Pomegranate, Grape concentrates. Contains naturally occurring Sulfites.

Also - are there cooking spray's that are okay? I looked at our generic one and the ingredient list has Soy Lecithin as the 2nd ingredient (1st is extra virgin olive oil). Find another brand or is this acceptable given the amount has to be very tiny.

Thanks! Starting tomorrow after a good night sleep!

Brian

• Moderators

Red wine vinegar is okay per the Fine Print of the Whole30 guidelines.

No on the cooking sprays. You might get a spritzer bottle and make something like cooking spray yourself with olive oil, but the propellants in cooking sprays are absolutely not okay. And anything with soy lecithin is out. It doesn't matter that there would be only a tiny amount of soy lecithin involved. If we eat just a tiny bit here and just a tiny bit there, we haven't really changed our diet.

You can take the 100 percent elimination of certain foods or additives as a burden or as an interesting challenge or even a game. I recommend the "interesting challenge" attitude.

Thanks Tom. I saw the fine print on Vinegar but didn't know if Red Wine Vinegar (or a few other types) were any different. (For example, I assume Rice Vinegar is out since it's made from Rice.)

And yep, I plan to eliminate it completely which is why I asked here to know for sure. Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

I gave up cooking sprays a good while ago. I put a little olive oil in a ramekin and use a silicone basting brush to apply a thin layer to the surfaces that I want to be oiled. I just toss the brush in the dishwasher and it's ready for the next use.

Nisham, if you don't mind me asking...how easy is your Misto to clean? I'd like to get one but I'm kind of concerned about it getting gunkednup with oil that eventually oxidizes...I don't use olive oil as much as I should.

I gave up cooking sprays a good while ago. I put a little olive oil in a ramekin and use a silicone basting brush to apply a thin layer to the surfaces that I want to be oiled. I just toss the brush in the dishwasher and it's ready for the next use.

This is also what I do.

• 2 years later...

Aw, man! I just saw this thread and am totally embarrassed to admit that I never even thought about my cooking spray!! Never looked at the ingredients or anything. Yucko. Will make the switch today to using olive oil and a silicone basting brush!! Good grief. I thought I was being ever so careful! :(

Archived