Enough excuses! Starting 11/21!!

MizRik

@Sarah_MT I like kombucha, and I was surprised to see it on the compliant list, because it does all start with sugar, and you can tell from the mildly sweet taste that the sugar probably is *not* all used up in the fermenting process. However, I do like the stuff. And because it was suggested that it might help my digestive discomfort, I had 4 ounces (just half a cup) with dinner yesterday and again with lunch today. I will admit that yesterday and today have been my best days yet regarding the digestive ills, so maybe the kombucha is helping. And it does not seem to be triggering my sugar dragon either. So, yay!

My heartburn is still present, but milder than even my mildest days before the kombucha. And my small and large intestines are still a *little* ouchy, but only a little.

Bottom line: I am seeing improvement. :D

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmmmmm. Yummy! Love me some Kombucha!! I'm actually drinking one right now! They can be hard to find without sugar listed in the ingredients, but they do exist. 

Continuing to feel a bit better each day. Still no tigers blood but definitely not having as intense of an afternoon slump! Huge NSV for me!!! 

On 12/6/2016 at 7:15 PM, MizRik said:

LOVE LOVE LOVE all the positive chatter coming out of our group lately!

Last night I was still grumbling to myself about needing to meal prep, but I got up and did it. When all was said and done I ended up with 4 servings of Pad Thai, 3 servings of a stir fry beef cashew dish, two servings of a buffalo chicken salad and some leftover ground beef to make stuffed peppers with!! Success!! That will for sure help me get through my next five days at work doing 12 hour shifts!

So excited to be able to say that I am MORE than half way done now! However.... I also love the fact that its only the first 30 days that are half way done because I plan on continuing what I have learned as a lifestyle change.

NSV - I haven't put my work clothes on for over a week because I have had the time off..... Today when I put them on they felt quite a bit looser!!! WAHOOOOO!!!!

Dump ranch... Did I already mention dump ranch?? You all need to try it if you haven't!

Congrats on pushing through and completing meal prep!  Can you share your recipe for buffalo chicken salad?  And what's dump ranch?

On 12/6/2016 at 7:44 PM, MizRik said:

Only the best invention this week!! It's homemade ranch dressing. There is a recipe for homemade ranch in the whole30 book. Not sure if it's the same one and right now I'm too lazy to look! LOL. The one I have been making is this one. 

http://www.whole-sisters.com/single-post/2016/05/26/Dump-Ranch

@guestdvp There you go! ;)

The Whole30 book mentions that some people will feel tiger blood as a sense of increased efficacy and efficiency, rather than as great roaring gushes of energy. I think I am one of those, because I just finished digging through our entire chest freezer to see what exactly was there, so that I could factor that into my meal  planning.

I have NEVER gone through that freezer in this fashion before. It was too intimidating! But I had no trouble with it this morning. None at all. And I found some good stuff in there! Yippee! :D

Total NSV, by the way. ;)

19 hours ago, guestdvp said:

Congrats on pushing through and completing meal prep!  Can you share your recipe for buffalo chicken salad?  And what's dump ranch?

I will post some of my favorite recipes when I get back home tonight :D

Day 18 for me!!!

I am coming to realize the biggest reason I dread meal prep..... is because my kids turn their noses up at everything and won't try anything new!! So I make all these fabulous meals and still need to make something separate for them. I actually enjoy cooking and tying new things, but figuring out how to involve my kids gives me anxiety! 

Today I have had killer munchies and i have been sooooooo hungry! Yet at the same time NOTHING sounds good. Weird and annoying. 

On the plus side.... i have been  slacking on the exercise side of life recently and I am getting a killer urge to get back into it. That's a nice NSV for the day!! 

1 hour ago, MizRik said:

I am coming to realize the biggest reason I dread meal prep..... is because my kids turn their noses up at everything and won't try anything new!! So I make all these fabulous meals and still need to make something separate for them.

This^! TOTALLY this^! That was a huge factor in all my meal planning failures up until now. I think some of my success with the Whole30 recipes is that I've found easy ways to make them kid acceptable, such as putting aside the sweet potatoes and meat-veg mixture to serve separately to the kids, while putting them together in the shepherd pie for the adults. (My daughter is currently hating sweet potatoes, so I made her a salad that night.)

On 12/2/2016 at 11:20 AM, higs said:

After 24 hours, I strain it with a regular kitchen sieve, throw out the veggies and keep the bones!  I reuse the bones several times.  Whenever I re-use bones, I try to also include new fresh bones so that there's always a good supply of collagen.  Chicken feet and pigs feet go a long way in that regard.

@higs When you remove the bones from the stock pot, do you just freeze them again? This bone broth maker wants to know! ;)

On 12/7/2016 at 5:12 PM, NoMoreCrunchyCravings said:

What is your plan for your six days on the road? I'd love to hear what you've organized!

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings, I read this right before take-off, and I'm glad you asked! Knowing I was going to report back in to you all helped me stay vigilant.

For a snack on the airplane, I took hard boiled eggs, travel packs of olives (who knew that existed?), and a banana. I only ate some olives, but I'm always worried that I will STARVE, which is ridiculous.

Then, I had to have a pep talk with myself which went something like this: no matter what happens, you will not starve. Every restaurant will be able to make a salad with grilled chicken. So, logic.

For Lunch, that's what I did - salad with avocados, tomatoes and grilled chicken, hold the corn. It came with a thousand island type dressing, so I just used oil and vinegar.

Dinner was much tougher. I had to ask LOTS of questions. The sautéed green beans, what are they sautéed in? Oil. So, olive oil and not butter? It could be butter. Ok, I can't have that.  After much negotiation, I ended up with a grass fed burger and a side salad. There was literally no other vegetable available! I ordered basalmic vinaigrette, but when it came it was creamy. I sent it back and just went with oil and vinegar. I am very uncomfortable with sending things back, or being so specific, but 1) I'm not going to sacrifice my 18 days for a waiter I'm never going to see again and 2) he did not seem to have a problem with it at all.

My husband drove to meet me in NC, so we have a car. After dinner we went to the grocery store and I bought seltzer, coconut milk for my coffee in the morning, a couple apples, and cashews for my husband. He's not really following Whole 30 with me, but he's not drinking or eating dessert, so I think that's the best I can hope for :)   Interestingly, on the first Whole 30 I discovered that cashews absolutely do not agree with me. Therefore they won't tempt me!

@Jessica NG did you try kombucha again today? How did that go for you?

I can't believe Day 18 is in the books!! Hope you are all doing well today!

5 hours ago, MizRik said:

Day 18 for me!!! 

On the plus side.... i have been  slacking on the exercise side of life recently and I am getting a killer urge to get back into it. That's a nice NSV for the day!! 

Me too!!!  Met a trainer at my gym & raring to go. 

TIGER BLOOD!!!  So much TIGER BLOOD!!! 

1 hour ago, CCLaymon said:

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings, I read this right before take-off, and I'm glad you asked! Knowing I was going to report back in to you all helped me stay vigilant.

For a snack on the airplane, I took hard boiled eggs, travel packs of olives (who knew that existed?), and a banana. I only ate some olives, but I'm always worried that I will STARVE, which is ridiculous.

Then, I had to have a pep talk with myself which went something like this: no matter what happens, you will not starve. Every restaurant will be able to make a salad with grilled chicken. So, logic.

For Lunch, that's what I did - salad with avocados, tomatoes and grilled chicken, hold the corn. It came with a thousand island type dressing, so I just used oil and vinegar.

Dinner was much tougher. I had to ask LOTS of questions. The sautéed green beans, what are they sautéed in? Oil. So, olive oil and not butter? It could be butter. Ok, I can't have that.  After much negotiation, I ended up with a grass fed burger and a side salad. There was literally no other vegetable available! I ordered basalmic vinaigrette, but when it came it was creamy. I sent it back and just went with oil and vinegar. I am very uncomfortable with sending things back, or being so specific, but 1) I'm not going to sacrifice my 18 days for a waiter I'm never going to see again and 2) he did not seem to have a problem with it at all.

My husband drove to meet me in NC, so we have a car. After dinner we went to the grocery store and I bought seltzer, coconut milk for my coffee in the morning, a couple apples, and cashews for my husband. He's not really following Whole 30 with me, but he's not drinking or eating dessert, so I think that's the best I can hope for :)   Interestingly, on the first Whole 30 I discovered that cashews absolutely do not agree with me. Therefore they won't tempt me!

This is great - sounds like you planned well, are off to a wonderful start, and will have it in the bag! Keep on keeping on!

@CCLaymon I was just wondering how your first travel day went, and I am so pleased that you did excellently. I am in awe of your travel-ful! ;) And I am cheering you on in your willingness to ask the waiter *lots* of questions. Go, go, go! You totally have this! :D

Yes, I did have 4 ounces of kombucha with dinner.

The heartburn is still present, still mild, although not quite as mild as yesterday. Also, I am realizing that it is as much "stomach burn" as it is heartburn. In fact, my stomach has more discomfort than the lower end of my esophagus, and it has been that way for several days. But I am still hopeful that this is all just part of my body adjusting and that I am moving toward resolution.

@mhemm  way to stay focused on the positive! I can get so tempted by the food that Melissa Hartwig would call "not worth it." Stuff that's not special, but familiar. Like those salty sweet treats that greeted you...  Great win on the new jeans!

I don't think today will pose any big challenges food wise. I'm not sure if mentioned, but my trip this weekend (after seeing clients last night) is a marriage conference with my husband - we're really looking forward to it. Since we live so far apart (an 8 hour drive), a few focused days together is a real treat.  There are no meals provided at the conference (which makes things easier for me). Tomorrow will be crazy - more on that TOMORROW. Just focusing on today for now!

This is the public service announcement for today - this is a time where could you potentially hit a bump in the road, so stay vigilant!  Here's an excerpt from the Whole30 Timeline:

timeline-menu-day-21

(Interlude) Day 21: I am so over this.

You’ve solidly settled into week three of the program at this point. Your clothes fit better; your skin is clearer; your inner awesomeness is shining through. But despite the many benefits you’re seeing, you went to bed last night dreading the thought of breakfast. You weren’t much more excited about it this morning, either. Come to think of it, you’re not thrilled with any of your meal options right now.  In fact, if Iron Chef Bobby Flay were to walk into your kitchen right now and offer to cook you any Whole30 compliant meal you wanted, you’re not even sure you could think of one. Just about anything sounds like more fun than sitting down to a big plate of Whole30 grub.  You’re loving the way your body is responding to the program, but you’re just not sure if you can make it through 9 more days. And if you see even one more egg, you are going to scream.

Somewhere in the third week of the program, serious food boredom sets in. For some folks, it gets so overwhelming that they lose their appetite altogether for a few days. Don’t let the food fatigue overtake you – plan ahead! Get to work in week two and hunt down some new recipes to keep the fire burning! Find inspiration from our Whole30 Recipes Instagram Feed, cruise the Whole30 Pinterest boards, or pick up a new cookbook. Find some exotic produce in the grocery store, try some exotic recipes – do whatever you can to get over this little speed bump. Being bored and hungry is just a recipe for disaster, and this, too, shall pass.

Happy Friday and Happy Day 19!!

30 minutes ago, CCLaymon said:

This is the public service announcement for today - this is a time where could you potentially hit a bump in the road, so stay vigilant!  Here's an excerpt from the Whole30 Timeline:

timeline-menu-day-21

(Interlude) Day 21: I am so over this.

You’ve solidly settled into week three of the program at this point. Your clothes fit better; your skin is clearer; your inner awesomeness is shining through. But despite the many benefits you’re seeing, you went to bed last night dreading the thought of breakfast. You weren’t much more excited about it this morning, either. Come to think of it, you’re not thrilled with any of your meal options right now.  In fact, if Iron Chef Bobby Flay were to walk into your kitchen right now and offer to cook you any Whole30 compliant meal you wanted, you’re not even sure you could think of one. Just about anything sounds like more fun than sitting down to a big plate of Whole30 grub.  You’re loving the way your body is responding to the program, but you’re just not sure if you can make it through 9 more days. And if you see even one more egg, you are going to scream.

Somewhere in the third week of the program, serious food boredom sets in. For some folks, it gets so overwhelming that they lose their appetite altogether for a few days. Don’t let the food fatigue overtake you – plan ahead! Get to work in week two and hunt down some new recipes to keep the fire burning! Find inspiration from our Whole30 Recipes Instagram Feed, cruise the Whole30 Pinterest boards, or pick up a new cookbook. Find some exotic produce in the grocery store, try some exotic recipes – do whatever you can to get over this little speed bump. Being bored and hungry is just a recipe for disaster, and this, too, shall pass.

Happy Friday and Happy Day 19!!

GAH!!!  Just when we were starting to feel confident and almost comfortable!  This is part of the reason I was so excited about the release date on the cookbook - I will be poring over it this weekend and building my grocery spreadsheet!

All this energy and my house still isn't cleaned...:lol:

Hey All!

Hope you're all navigating the holiday events well.  We had our company Christmas Party last night.  It was at a super-nice restaurant here in Dallas.  Drinks were flowing, there was incredible food and an entire room (yes, a ROOM) full of deserts.  But, being day 25 I had all the tools to navigate this party and stay on track.  I sipped on club soda with lime and enjoyed the conversation.  I made a french exit around 8:30 when most had settled down to eat and headed home.  It was a late dinner (after 10 by the time I got home and cooked it up) but because my energy levels are SO much more stable I didn't get hangry or zoom into the closest fast food drivethrough.  I knew it would be a challenge to take on Whole30 during the holiday season, and I sometimes can't believe I'm doing it and have made it to Day 26, but the accomplishment is all that more sweet knowing the tempation we resisted!  Be REALLY proud of yourselves everyone.  We're doing this!!

Contrats @mhemm for resisting the treats and on the jeans, that's awesome!  

Way to go @CCLaymon!  That long of a trip is REALLY daunting but it sounds like you're doing great!  Enjoy the time with your husband and I home you make it through that crazy day tomorrow!

@MizRik I know what you mean about the cravings.  I've gotten some of those too.  Almost like my teeth itch and I want to eat something but I don't know just what.  I'm getting the Whole30 Daily emails though and they warned about your brain making a last-ditch effort to get you to eat those bad foods that have been lighting it up for so long.  I can't find the email/article right now but I definitely recognized that.  Maybe that's what you're going through too?

So, here's another progress pic.  This one is tough to show but it reflects how far I've come.  The first is at a charity function about a week before I started Whole30.  I was at the highest weight I've ever been.  The second was last night getting ready for my Christmas Party.  I like picture #2 and I want to keep that gal around.

2016-12-09 10.18.26.jpg

So funny to me how we can read each others posts and can understand and agree with so much of what each other are saying!! Makes this journey so much easier!! I cant thank you ladies enough for hanging out here and supporting each other!!

Today is day #19 for me.

Last night I went home, pulled out all the pre-made meals I had left and couldn't eat a single one of them. They just all sounded gross. In fact after having weird cravings all day (but not knowing what I wanted) and then going home to  all those healthy meals.... I just couldn't eat them so I just went to bed without eating. Total food boredom has set in for me! LOL

I did however toss together a few quick meals before going to bed so that my lunch and dinner tonight would be something a little different. I may have been uninterested in food last night, but I wasn't about to leave myself unprepared for today.

Keep up the good work ladies!

Yeah, so I had to google types of squash tonight.  I made meatballs with spaghetti squash...at least that's what I was trying to make.  I've never made spaghetti squash and just grabbed a couple at Whole Foods next to the label.  I started cooking and it was taking WAY longer than the recipe said to get soft.  When I scrapped sides it didn't look stringy at all.  Here's where googling enters the picture...what I actually have is a butternut squash...who knew (not me).  So, tonight I'll be having meatballs & sauce with butternut squash and a side salad.

I'd been wondering where my tiger blood went this afternoon, but I now suspect it is succumbing to a virus. My ear started to ache, and now my throat is getting sore. Boo hoo! I don't *want* to be sick. Unless I throw this off - whatever it is - I won't need to be navigating the family holiday party this Sunday. I'll be home in bed. No fair! I'd even managed to talk with the caterer and grill them on the ingredients to the dishes, and I *can* eat the roasted rib eye, as well as the roasted mixed vegetables. But only if I'm not too sick to go. :(

Archived