Lesson learned about yeast extract

Silver Penguin

I grew up eating a wonderful tasty black spread called Marmite, in the UK. It's what kids have on their toast. It has happy associations for me and I like the taste. There's a jar in the cupboard and I read the label before adding a spoonful to my ground bison, onions and zoodles. It's simply yeast extract with various B vitamins. Had I researched it before eating it, I would have learned that while technically Whole 30 compliant, it is not recommended.

Talk about a wake up call! As the evening went on, I felt progressively worse. For the first time since starting my Whole 30, I didn't jump out of bed at 5:30am and get busy with stuff. My day dragged slowly and miserably by with reflux, burping, bloating, heartburn pain and extreme fatigue. As the morning wore on, I began to feel better until lunch time. Without putting two and two together, I had leftovers for lunch.

The penny dropped later in the day. I've had every other thing that was on my plate, since starting Whole 30 and no symptoms. It was the Marmite. My body no longer tolerates it. Whether I like it or not is immaterial.

The real lesson learned is about the difference between the old feeling normal and the new feeling normal. I had that horrible, indigestion type feeling almost all of the time. I don't know yet whether it's sugar, grains, dairy or alcohol that's the main problem but I will be paying very close attention to the reintroduction of food groups.

Jill

• Moderators

Yes, unfortunately, yeast extract is a label ingredient of dubious nature. 

See below.

On 9/10/2012 at 10:05 AM, Tom Denham said:

According to Wikipedia, "Yeast extract is the common name for various forms of processed yeast products made by extracting the cell contents (removing the cell walls); they are used as food additives or flavorings, or as nutrients for bacterial culture media. They are often used to create savory flavors and umami taste sensations, and can be found in a large variety of packaged food including frozen meals, crackers, junk food, gravy, stock and more... Yeast extract contains an amount of naturally occurring Glutamic Acid or Monosodium Glutamate." To read the entire article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast_extract

Many believe that food companies use yeast extract to hide the presence of MSG in foods from consumers. Here is a clear statement of the issue: http://www.naturalnews.com/001528_dangerous_ingredients_yeast_extract.html

You should avoid yeast extract during a Whole30 to avoid even small amounts of MSG.

If Marmite is made the same way as Vegemite (brewers yeast) it's also very high in gluten.

https://www.vegemite.com.au/faq

Brewers yeast is very different to regular (bakers) yeast as it's usually a beer by-product, literally a waste product from making beer.

This type of yeast is also sometimes used in other types of brewing like cider & ginger beer.

Maybe I'll use those two products (if available where I am) to reintroduce some of those types of foods while I'm traveling in January throughout New Zealand and Australia. Not that I want to have an icky belly while traveling, but I've always wanted to taste those foods, and I will be post-Whole 30 at that point, but decidedly going to try to stick to w30 as best I can while traveling. But in the times when I'm trying to reintroduce or trial, maybe I can work those two in to see how I react.

Archived