chicken pot pie

Vian

Ok, obviously I'm not asking if I can have regular old run of the mill chicken pot pie. I haven't eaten wheat/gluten in over 3 years. When I make chicken pot pie, I skip any bottom crust because it's useless, and usually just put like a drop biscuit topping on it. I've found that cassava flour makes great biscuits and baked goods. I know that it's allowed to use alternative flours (like cassava) to make breading/coatings for meats, and I know it's ok to use them to thicken gravies and sauces, and I also know that SWYPO and paleo baked goods are out per the whole30 rules. What about  a biscuit topping for chicken pot pie? Is that too much like making paleo baked goods? This would NOT be a food without breaks for me, if that helps. 

2 hours ago, Vian said:

Ok, obviously I'm not asking if I can have regular old run of the mill chicken pot pie. I haven't eaten wheat/gluten in over 3 years. When I make chicken pot pie, I skip any bottom crust because it's useless, and usually just put like a drop biscuit topping on it. I've found that cassava flour makes great biscuits and baked goods. I know that it's allowed to use alternative flours (like cassava) to make breading/coatings for meats, and I know it's ok to use them to thicken gravies and sauces, and I also know that SWYPO and paleo baked goods are out per the whole30 rules. What about  a biscuit topping for chicken pot pie? Is that too much like making paleo baked goods? This would NOT be a food without breaks for me, if that helps. 

No, no and no to the chicken pot pie with a biscuit, no matter what the biscuit topping is made of. You would be recreating foods/baked goods that are not allowed. 

You could make a chicken pie or shepherd's pie with potato topping. As a bonus, that will be more nutritious. 

Keep your biscuit recipe for Post-Whole30.

Potato or other veggie would be a great swap and much more nutritious.

For those wondering why, the amount of "flours" required for any type of biscuit/bread/etc dough will be pushing your veggies off your plate at best, SWYPO at worst.

Breadings and coatings with compliant things use a very small amount, but anything which is a dough has a skewed template.

Archived