Canned coconut milk

Hi. Today is my 1st day and I have a question. I have already stuck my can of coconut milk in the fridge for when I need coconut cream. But what do I do with my leftover coconut milk? If I put it on the fridge I just have more coconut cream. I'm assuming the can needs refrigerated after opening. Would I have to bring it to room temp before using again?

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I don't save the water, I just dump it.  Some brands seem to have 1/2 water in the can (Native Forest, for example)... in that case - maybe you could use it to season something you wanted coconut-ty...?  You can also put it in a pot and warm it up a bit to incorporate the water and the cream if you aren't using the cream for something liked whipped cream (where you really need the water out) and then refrigerate that - the coconut milk will be less totally solid but fine for coffee, curry, adding to soup and other recipes.  Also, I wouldn't keep it in the can - I've found that putting it in a mason jar I get a few more days out of it - in the can it goes bad quick.  And bad coconut milk STINKS.  Yuck!

I always take mine out of the opened can and store in glass/pyrex if I'm keeping it in the fridge. I've found a great bulk-foods place that sells food-ready small glass jars for their bulk honey, I just buy the jars ;)

You can also freeze leftovers in icecube trays, handy for if you don't eat it all and a quick add for soups or even in coffee when you run out of new ones to open :)

If your leftovers seem a little watery and you're not sure what to do with it, throw it in a soup, it's very forgiving.

2 hours ago, praxisproject said:

You can also freeze leftovers in icecube trays, handy for if you don't eat it all and a quick add for soups or even in coffee when you run out of new ones to open :)

Plus it's cool to leave a cube out on the counter to thaw --- it ends up looking really weird like a liquid in suspended animation.

Archived