Hungry, Irritable or Both?

klynch

Today is Day 2 of my Whole 30...woke up feeling off but was able to rally and had an overall positive day until about 1:30pm. Since then I have been irritable and can't decide if this is due to hunger, experiencing feelings I would typically numb out with afternoon treats and snacks or a little of both.

I am scheduled to have acupuncture in about 45 minutes and I am hoping this will help my mood!

This is my second Whole30 and I don't remember struggling this way so early on.  I am coming onto this one with way more sugar, grains and alcohol to detox from AND  I am making the conscious decision to be more mindful about my emotional experience.

Anyone else struggling with similar experiences or have suggestions?

• Moderators

Your litmus test for hunger is if you would happily eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli.  If the answer is yes, then go ahead and eat a mini meal of at least two of the three macros (protein, fat, veg) or ideally a bit of each.  It's definitely possible tho that you're crabby because your brain wants its afternoon treat and you're denying it... Brain thinks it's in charge and when we mess up Brain's well layed plan of comfort and satisfaction, it can get cranky... that can go from mildly irritable to full on killer of all the things... if that's the case and its not real hunger, ride it out...

And yes, do make sure you're drinking enough water... 1/2oz per pound of body weight is our recommendation.

11 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Your litmus test for hunger is if you would happily eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli.  If the answer is yes, then go ahead and eat a mini meal of at least two of the three macros (protein, fat, veg) or ideally a bit of each.  It's definitely possible tho that you're crabby because your brain wants its afternoon treat and you're denying it... Brain thinks it's in charge and when we mess up Brain's well layed plan of comfort and satisfaction, it can get cranky... that can go from mildly irritable to full on killer of all the things... if that's the case and its not real hunger, ride it out...

And yes, do make sure you're drinking enough water... 1/2oz per pound of body weight is our recommendation.

Thanks for prompting me to think about the litmus test, that is really helpful and will continue to be over the next few weeks!  Happy to report I did have some relief from acupuncture and she is really targeting areas that will help support me through this process this week.

I rode out the cranky-pants feeling last night (my poor supportive hubby did too).  Feeling ways less irritable this morning, hopefully it will last!

Thanks for the tip about water, I have ALWAYS been an obsessive and avid water drinker, I drink 3+liters per day...I also spend a lot of time in the bathroom as a result...haha.

No worries, Day 1 for me yesterday sounded just like yours. From experience I know that this was just a side effect of the Whole30 and it will pass, evidenced by the fact that I drank the recommended amount of water, no snacking & full template meals.  I took some natural calm to help me relax but it didn't really work for me.  Today is much better, way to hang in there! :D

Archived