Dissociative Identity Disorder and Whole30

Does anyone here have DID or know anyone with DID who has managed doing Whole30?

One of the struggles I'm definitely concerned about is that many alters aren't really a huge fan of healthy eating and I'm not sure sometimes how to manage it all since it's not something that all of us can be forced into but without everyone doing it then Whole30 will be pointless. We switch often and have a large system.

Maybe someone has experiences of notes or journals or something working to help keep everyone on track? Or having people check up on them to see how everyone in the system is managing with doing Whole30? Or maybe something else entirely 

Even if you don't have DID and don't have experience of anyone with it we're happy to hear points from anyone at all ^_^ 

3 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

Give us a ballpark.  How many people are we talking about because there are all kinds of threads for group parties, large families and celebrations. Almost all of the bases have been covered.

We're talking 300+ people. So a good amount to consider and all with different likes/dislikes/preferences. It's pretty difficult to navigate all of this when some of us are determined but others may not agree or may not know we're doing Whole30 so that could result in chocolate or cakes or a whole host of things 

Alrighty then.  I surmise you probably have a photographic memory to keep up with them.

You need a good sheepdog.  One that instinctively knows how to herd. The smartest dog is a border collie.  They know how to lead without biting the herd. One good sheep dog. 

Image result for photos sheep with border collie

Whoever that is and only you would know, let them lead the others into the symbolic pen. Then when you've got them all cornered, the sheepherder, the leader of the pack is going to sit them down and give them a good talking to. They will listen.

You will not have to make multiple meals or cater to each one of them separately.  Nuh huh. That's all going to be nipped in the bud.  The sheepherder is in charge.  Always has been and always will be in the future.   

Image result for photos sheep with border collie

This is a judgment free zone.

The sheepherder can tell them that all of those bakery goods and cakes aren't worth two hoots. That awful fondant frosting is like tiles for the roof or bathroom.  You can peel it off and throw it up against the wall.  It will stick there for years.  

• Administrators

Hi @universe-system - I've been around the Whole30 community for several years now and haven't ever come across anyone that has this medical condition and is also doing Whole30....or at least they didn't share that they have this issue.

Unfortunately we have no one that is a trained medical professional here so I would suggest that you review your needs and concerns with your health care provider.

1 hour ago, MeadowLily said:

Alrighty then.  I surmise you probably have a photographic memory to keep up with them.

You need a good sheepdog.  One that instinctively knows how to herd.  The smartest dog is a border collie.  They know how to lead without biting the herd.  One good sheep dog. 

Whoever that is and only you would know, let them lead the others into the symbolic pen. Then when you've got them all cornered, the sheepherder, the leader of the pack is going to sit them down and give them a good talking to. They will listen.

You will not have to make multiple meals or cater to each one of them separately.  Nuh huh. That's all going to be nipped in the bud.  The sheepherder is in charge.  Always has been and always will be in the future.   

I think the main problem we're facing is that there is no leader or anyone we even consider the owner of our body. 

But we will give this sort of thing a go and ask a few alters to try their hand at it and see if everyone will listen. Fingers crossed if we can show everyone that we can still have good food that even sometimes feels indulgent, then hopefully they'll understand and be alright with it. I mean it's only 30 days so hopefully it won't be too hard??? 

Ugh this is all too complicated! But we'll keep on with it and see how we go! 

Thank you for caring so much honestly. Feel free to talk to us any time! It means a lot to have someone who seems so understanding 

9 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Hi @universe-system - I've been around the Whole30 community for several years now and haven't ever come across anyone that has this medical condition and is also doing Whole30....or at least they didn't share that they have this issue.

Unfortunately we have no one that is a trained medical professional here so I would suggest that you review your needs and concerns with your health care provider.

Ahh it's a shame you haven't come across anyone else before. Hopefully I'm not alone in this! 

I'll try asking on other communities for Whole30 to see if there is anyone ^_^ 

our GP thinks it's a great idea to help physical conditions and our therapist thinks it's an amazing idea for us all as well, it's just figuring out how to execute it with the right support 

i think we may just have to ask some friends and our partner to keep us on track or buddy up with some people so we can have others check up on us to see if everyone's following the rules

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! :D 

1 minute ago, universe-system said:

I think the main problem we're facing is that there is no leader or anyone we even consider the owner of our body. 

But we will give this sort of thing a go and ask a few alters to try their hand at it and see if everyone will listen. Fingers crossed if we can show everyone that we can still have good food that even sometimes feels indulgent, then hopefully they'll understand and be alright with it. I mean it's only 30 days so hopefully it won't be too hard??? 

Ugh this is all too complicated! But we'll keep on with it and see how we go! 

Thank you for caring so much honestly. Feel free to talk to us any time! It means a lot to have someone who seems so understanding 

I do care.  It's not too complicated. I get you, I used to work with alot of children who've been through all kinds of things.  

17 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

I do care.  It's not too complicated. I get you, I used to work with alot of children who've been through all kinds of things.  

It's absolutely so reassuring to know that you understand this from some level! Thank you :) 

We will definitely keep trying with this and hopefully everyone will comply and learn to love it :P 

Clear the decks. We can start tomorrow if you'd like.  

The best way to learn the plan is to start living it.  Jump in!  We shall succeed beyond the scale. 

Go through your pantry and fridge, toss out the foods that will hinder the Whole 30.  This is not a diet.  Diets involve deprivation. Deprivation is the mother of failure. 

When you have the tools to help you make the compliant choices, you'll want to move around more.  Movement helps shift the way we think.  

There are ways to move without joining a gym.  Think of the exercise and movement you've always enjoyed and do all of it on your own terms. You can start building your toolkit from the ground UP. 

The forum provides all of your journey tools. Rules, recommendations and motivation. You can keep up with everyone here who inspires you, including Melissa.  You may want to track your food as part of your journey tools. 

The most powerful tool is people-to-people support.  Connecting with others here helps get our heads in the right place. We can share our feelings, successes and people here know what you're going through with craving setbacks.  

So jump in. Bravo for taking the first step. It took a leap of faith.  We're all in this thing called life together. 

13 hours ago, MeadowLily said:

We're not analyzing anyone.  All we are going to do together is complete a Whole 30.  You will get it done.  I've already completed one.  I've got the time to help you get through it. 

That would be amazing! Thank you so much for being so kind and lovely 

Already gone through and thrown out every possible temptation (only keeps are things partner is still having that we're not overly interested in). We were meant to start last week but temptations left in the house screwed it up, so we spent the last week prepping for restarting!

We've got a bullet journal dedicated to Whole30 now too, so it has lists of recipe ideas for meals, lists of why we're doing Whole30 that have nothing to do with weight loss, how to tackle cravings with compliant choices and some additional helpful tools. We've gone public with it by joining the forum and other communities, as well as telling close people that we're doing this, so we can be kept accountable and that will hopefully drive us to keep succeeding! 

I think as long as the others in the system can be convinced that even though it might suck from time to time, it'll be well worth it and we'll feel much much better afterward ^_^ And as long as people can keep us going and keep us accountable for our choices then we should in through this! 

Right now it's looking easy, it's looking like the best thing and we're happy about it, so fingers crossed the hangover and cravings won't be too horrific (especially after spending a week prior cutting out almost everything)

Super happy to have your support in this! Thank you :D 

-C

1 hour ago, universe-system said:

Universe, I don't know if you know this...but I've been talking to the Universe for a few years now. I always say reverb from the Universe is exciting.  Now, I'm finally receiving some.  One more thing.  I think everyone has a photographic memory. Some are better at accessing it.  They have a laser focus and are very good listeners. Thanks for the reverb, Universe. I've been waiting for a long, long time.

Laurie, I hope you'll help us. You've been here the longest.  You know the way.     

2 hours ago, MeadowLily said:

You're lovely, do you know that? Thank you ^_^ 

I'm not sure how exciting we'll be, but of course we'll do our best and be here for everyone else we're able to as well 

I think memory in general on our end is a little wonky, but even with our spaced out individual memories we're good at remembering some things, the important things generally. 

Thank you for all your support, it's so appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Archived