jbmanz

Subway salads are a fine quick easy alternative in a pinch but can get boring with only guacamole oil vinegar salt/pepper; I'd like to spice it up with their Buffalo Sauce.

Per their Ingredients list (  www.subway.com/~/media/usa/documents/nutrition/usprodingredients.pdf  ) it looks fine up until I saw "natural butter type flavor" - have not received a response from them yet, wondering if anybody else has inquired as to the whole30 compliance of their Buffalo Sauce?

Thanks - 

- JB

Based on the ingredients list you linked, none of the meats are compliant. From what I could find skimming quickly, pretty much all the salads have soy and/or soybean oil. :( 

I would assume that, except for the veggies, there is nothing compliant at Subway. 

http://www.subway.com/en-us/menunutrition/menu/~/media/9C781D304C254453AFB4B8633E9B9C6F.ashx

Thanks for the quick response - but sadly Yes I already know to steer clear of the meats - I only get a veggie salad from there.

I was only inquiring about the Buffalo Sauce, as a salad dressing.

BUFFALO SAUCE Distilled vinegar, aged cayenne red peppers, salt, water, modified food starch,
canola oil, paprika, vegetable fiber, xanthan gum, sodium benzoate (as a preservative), natural butter
type flavor and garlic powder. 

- Hoping to find out if "natural butter type flavor" is actually butter/dairy. 

• Moderators

So, modified food starch is sort of a gray area -- it's not specifically ruled out, but it can be made from non-compliant things like corn or wheat, and if it were, then it wouldn't be okay to have.

We really have no way of knowing if the natural butter type flavor is okay or not, the only way to know what they made it from would be to ask.

If this is something you're doing on a regular basis, you might consider keeping your own bottle of hot sauce like Frank's original or Tabasco or one of the other 100% completely compliant versions that are available with you to use. They keep well and should be fine without being refrigerated for a while.

Archived