Encouragement please

On day 7 and doing okay but I just did the 1 week assessment. My sleep is worse (waking up every couple of hours), my energy is low, my workouts are harder, I had heartburn this morning (which I never get) and I feel a little heavy though my clothes fit the same. On the positive side I'm not at all hungry and my mood is very stable. I could use a pep talk please 

It's 30 days. Not 7. :)

Are you eating pre-/post workout meals? Drinking water (1/2 oz per pound of body weight)? Salting your food? Eating enough (follow the template!)? Are you under stress?

If you post a few days of meals, you can get feedback from a mod on your food.

Persevere! It may take 30 days (or longer) to see all the benefits, depending on your individual circumstances/health/diet before Whole30. Follow the program and give it a chance!

3 minutes ago, Eleanor174 said:

Thank you!

I haven't been eating pre/post workout because I"m worried about gaining weight (the thing I miss second most is weighing myself every day). I will try adding that in over the next few days.

You MUST eat enough on Whole30 to feel good and see the benefits! Eat template meals and eat pre or post workout meals! Nourish your body! This program is about a food reset, NOT deprivation. The more you focus on weight or food restriction, the more your body will hold onto its weight for dear life (literally). Relax and concentrate on nutrition and on nourishment. Your weight will take care of itself.

It isn't really an assignment. I signed up to get the daily emails and on day 7 there's a link to a "food for thought" worksheet that's supposed to help you realize positive changes you're experiencing. I guess for me it didn't work the way it was supposed to :(

HI Eleanor, I'm on day 15 and I haven't felt this good in years.  

I consciously planned not to exercise during the first week, but have adding some long distance walks over the last week.  I'm now doing 8-9 walks a week ranging from 1.5-4 miles.  Others can advise on whether you might need to adjust your meals but I wanted to make sure I didn't bite off more than I can chew when starting off by adding in a significant workout routine.  So far I am loving the changes and don't think I'll ever buy prepared mayo or dressing again.

Once I finish the Whole30 I plan to continue eating this way, only occasionally adding other foods and doing so consciously.  The other part of that will be to start back up with SImpleFit.  It's a very easy (to start) bodyweight exercise program that builds from week to week.  I had good success with it a few years ago, before I let things get away from me.

@Eleanor174, I think this is typical for the first week. I have some small NSVs, but I really struggled with sleep for the first 5 days, my energy was low, obviously my mood today sucks! :) I think the first two weeks is a process of your body recognizing you're depriving it of what it wants and struggling without it, and then slowly adapting to the new way you're eating. 

Another note that I'm sure the mod said, if you don't eat enough your body will think you're starving and NOT burn as many calories. It's important to get enough food, both for your energy and also so that your metabolism can start to work! If you don't eat enough it won't have enough to burn. 

Hang in there. Despite my meltdowns today, I'm gonna hang in all 30 days and you should too <3

I am on my third Whole30 and have found that I feel tired and run down until week two or three but it is totally worth sticking it out.  I never got the "tiger blood" some speak of but after I turned the corner I felt great (consistent energy throughout the day, more clear-headed, fewer headaches...).  

Workouts during my first few weeks were really tough for me.  I am a runner and had previously relied on sugar-based fuel and drinks to get me through my long runs.  It took a while for my body to come to terms with the fact that I couldn't rely on a sugar boost to pick up the pace or "recharge" quickly and I crashed on a few runs.  This was frustrating for me as running is a sort of stress-reliever as well as exercise and giving up part way through a run or not feeling like it at all really bothered me.  After I adapted to Whole30 eating and new running fuel, however, my resting pace quickened and I found I recovered a lot quicker.     

Everyone's different.  Some people have seemingly magical results early on and others (like me) have smaller, more subtle improvements that all add up to an improved quality of life.  I hope you're feeling better soon!

Thanks junit_jess. Not feeling like exercising is getting to me so that's very encouraging. I could have fallen asleep in Pilates this morning, I'm going to run tomorrow no matter how unmotivated I feel. It's actually lovely to not feel hungry, though. 

Archived