Kallo Organic Vegetable Stock (UK)

Rose885

I'm staying with my parents this weekend and my dad has made some soup which is whole30 except I'm unsure about the stock. It's Kallo Organic Stock Cube, the ingredients:

Palm oil*, maize starch*, yeast extract, vegetable (20.5%): onions*, carrots*, leek*, celery*, sea salt, herbs* (lovage leaves*, celery leaves*, parsley*, oregano*, rosemary*, thyme*) garlic*, spices* (mace*, turmeric*)

*certified organic

I think I already know the answer due to the maize starch and yeast extract! Just a bit confusing since it says "gluten and lactose free" on the packaging.

Also, yeast extract = MSG. Yeast extract is NOT the same as yeast. (Trust me on this one, I'm allergic to MSG. Found this out the hard way.) I can eat yeast perfectly fine. Yeast extract is fermented yeast. Basically it's a flavoring. But, MSG is a neurotoxin and yeast extract contains a small amount of MSG. While proponents claim that yeast extract contains a minimal amount of MSG and is generally well tolerated, those of us with MSG sensitivities tend to avoid it.

Also, yeast extract = MSG. Yeast extract is NOT the same as yeast. (Trust me on this one, I'm allergic to MSG. Found this out the hard way.) I can eat yeast perfectly fine. Yeast extract is fermented yeast. Basically it's a flavoring. But, MSG is a neurotoxin and yeast extract contains a small amount of MSG. While proponents claim that yeast extract contains a minimal amount of MSG and is generally well tolerated, those of us with MSG sensitivities tend to avoid it.

If you have a noted MSG sensitivity, then you may well want to avoid the yeast extract. Also, if you (a W30er in general) choose to partake in a food with yeast extract in it, you'll want to keep a close eye for adverse effects. However, it is not considered MSG in the program guidelines and is acceptable as an ingredient during your W30.

• 2 months later...

Really getting prepared this time and going through everything in the pantry. It really makes you realise how many ingredients are 'added'. Found maize starch in our curry powder and rice flour in the Szechuan seasoning. Out they both go!

Archived