SO MUCH FAT

LizAnn

I need some advice - I downloaded a fitness pal and I put in everything I have eaten for today

Chia gel with coconut milk and fruit for breakfast

Spinach salad with salmon and the raspberry vinaigrette dressing with walnuts and dates sprinkled on top

and it says I am double the fat content I should be having, am I just going to gain weight eating this much fat? What should I cut out? Should I be cutting stuff out? 

HELP! 

Take a deep breath and delete My Fitness Pal. A huge part of Whole30 is getting away from the tracking, counting, analyzing, measuring, and stressing over grams and macros. 

A little additional advice - Your breakfast needs some fixing. Chia puddings aren't compliant and that meal is fat and sugar with a negligible amount of protein. All of your meals need to have a palm sized or larger piece of protein (or as many eggs as you can hold), heaps of veggies, and then added fats. 

Was the raspberry vinaigrette homemade? I haven't seen compliant raspberry vinaigrettes in stores, but I could be wrong. 

You've got this. 

• 4 weeks later...

My fitness pal's base settings are not really anything to base a diet around. They base it off of 50% carbs and give you a very low calorie count. Put it this way, I'm an avid tracker and did a cut once. I was eating something like 30% more calories than their recommendations, over twice the protein... and losing weight.

FWIW- you can program MFP to your own settings of max calories and percent of carbs, fat, and protein.  I've used it in the past to help me make sure I get enough protein, because I need the reminder.  Mine- which I'm not using now because for w30 we aren't supposed to use it- I have set to 25% carbs, 40% fat, 35% protein, although I expect I will be tweaking that when I go back to it after the w30 is done.

I am tracking our meals for my husband who wanted to track so I can hit his goals for meal planning. Following the template meals, I am eating about 30 g of fat over my "recommended" intake for the online tracker I use. However, I know from doing Whole30 before that the program works and to trust the template. If you follow the ratios there, your fat may be over, but I would be willing to bet that unless you're eating sweet potatoes or potatoes with every meal that your carbs will be lower than "recommended."

Also, I second the suggestion to try alternatives for breakfast. I know there are a lot of "Whole30 chia seed pudding" recipes out there, but while they might only contain compliant ingredients, they definitely don't follow the template or the spirit of the program. More protein and vegetables for breakfast will help keep you fuller.

Archived