I was going to wait until Day 40 before I had alcohol, but...

I have been pretty determined to wait until Day 40 to have alcohol in the evening. However, it's Day 30 and I am really considering having a martini tomorrow night. It's been a pretty crazy few weeks for me on all counts, and my soul, my SOUL wants a drink. Is the idea here that, at times, the sugar and booze will send us off the plan/reintro etc.? 

Reintro is still very important to me. I want to do this correctly and I know I can.

I know I can wait 10 more days for some alcohol, but I needed somewhere to dump this whine-fest. And, get feedback.

Thanks.

In general, the reintro is eat/consume one new kind of thing in one day, then eat Whole30 for 3 days to evaluate the effects.  http://whole30.com/step-two-finished

They have a template if you want to follow it, generally going from possibly least problematic to tend-to-be-more-problematic, but I don't seen any reason you can't start with alcohol, call that you're first reintro, then 3 days from that, start with the food items as you see fit.  The link I provided doesn't specifically list alcohol as a separate possible day, but I feel like maybe the book does, I can't remember.

Thanks so much. I can tend to be a rigid person, but I'm also pretty aware when I need to give myself a break--and though I don't want to go hog wild--when life throws you 10 curveballs with spikes (as did happen to me recently), sometimes it helps to have wiggle room. I think this sounds good and I'll do a slow roll reintro. Appreciate the feedback. I think there's a tish of ambiguity re: vino etc. as it's not one of the "groups." Plus, at 31, I think most people are like WINE FIRST!! :)

Some of us are whiskey first! :)  Also, reintros are interesting as I think that in addition to the broad categories may be related in general, the specific n=1 experiment of your body may be different.  For instance, maybe "alcohol" is fine, but sugary margaritas are not.  Maybe hard alcohol is fine but malt beverages are not.  Etc.  I am a fan of the slow roll introduction and spreading things out a little more.  Maybe lentils/pulses are fine but soy is not, even though they are both legumes.  Maybe yogurt is OK but cheese is not.  I would highly encourage you to keep track and write things down of what you ate/drank and how you felt.   

Thanks. I also weighed in and actually GAINED weight. I'm trying not to feel bad, as I worked out like a beast this last month so I'm going to chalk it up to muscle mass. @slc_melissa I think you've got a point about this all and I'm going to loosen up a little bit. Also, I'm going to do another Whole30 as I *just* started uncovering some of the deeper psychological elements of food choices and behaviors around food. For some of us complicated peeps, 30 days just cracks the can open. Anyways. Once you all supported finding a way to have my wine tonight--suddenly, I didn't need it so bad. Go figure. :)

Sometimes alcohol can cause us to make really poor food choices, as our inhibitions lower. If you are really focusing on reintroducing carefully, just make sure you isolate your "martini day" and have some whole 30 ready foods in the event snacking/cravings creep in, as they can with drinking. 

That way, you'll know if you wake up feeling negatively,  exactly what to attribute it to, and won't confuse side effects of alcohol with the half of pizza or bag of Fritos you may consume while you are on martini number 2 or 3 ;) 

Archived