Physical Job- Can I snack?!

Oakley710

Today is our first day!!

My husband works a really physical job; constantly moving, walking, climbing stairs and ladders, etc., 10 hour shifts. Would a snack be justifiable in the afternoon for him? If so, what would you suggest? I wouldn't consider this "working out", but would he need something similar to a preworkout/postworkout meal?

For breakfast he had 3 scrambled eggs with peppers and onions, hash browns and 2 small-ish sausage patties. (Veggies and potatoes sauteed in clarified butter.)

For lunch he had chicken salad (TessaMae's mayo, chicken breast, celery, grapes, apples, green onions) in a romaine lettuce boat, an apple with almond butter, and 3 deviled eggs. (Not enough veggies, I know; he's a picky eater so we're working on it lol).

He had his lunch about 3.5 hours ago and texted me saying he was "so hungry"... Not just craving, we went through the questions (cravings, bored, habit, are you REALLY hungry?)

• Moderators

Ideally, a meal will keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours, so he probably should work on bulking up lunch to help it last longer.

That said, in a 10-hour workday, it's entirely possible he'll need an extra meal or at least a mini-meal. For now, until he figures out how much he really needs, probably go ahead and pack full meal-sized portions for his lunch and an extra meal -- some protein, some fat, some vegetables. If it turns out he doesn't need that much, you can alway cut back some and send him with the full lunch, and then a smaller portion of everything for a mini-meal/snack.

For vegetables, have you tried roasted vegetables for him? To me, they're much tastier than steamed or sauteed or raw. I like a mix of broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, sometimes with some potato or sweet potato, and while I prefer them hot out of the oven, I'll eat them cold. They're also good with some mayo or ranch dressing to dip them in, if that would help.

5 minutes ago, Oakley710 said:

I will definitely try roasting his veggies. He just sees the green and knows that its a vegetable and doesn't "like" it.

Thanks for the advice!!

Roasting vegetables (I routinely do broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, brussel sprouts; sometimes onions, bell peppers, mushrooms) on high heat on a well seasoned baking sheet with salt and pepper and drizzles of olive oil gives them a delicious carmelization which puts them into a different category altogether. 

He is stepping out of his comfort zone doing a Whole30 with me. His ideal vegetables are corn (Which I know are a no-no) and potatoes... :mellow: But he has been surprisingly willing to try new things. I'll have to take him up on the eagerness and get some green on his plate by roasting them! I really feel like we aren't focusing enough on the vegetables on our plates. But we will get there. We'll use this partial week as a learning curve lol.

I appreciate the tips!

Archived