Too many sweet potatoes?

jillian

I'm doing my second Whole30 (Yay!). During my first Whole30, my mood was very very calm - but also negative. My energy levels fluctuated. I dealt with constipation (something I never struggled with before). I gained a few pounds. My skin didn't clear up. And I struggled, at times, with overeating and snacking (too many nuts!). I have to say that even though I definitely experienced some real benefits - improved concentration, mental clarity, disappearance of this strange tendonitis feeling in my shoulder and no more inflamed gums (who knew?!) - I was a little bummed by these other issues. After my first Whole30, I continued eating a Whole30 diet for the most part - but I added more sweet potatoes and butternut squash and I felt like a new woman - even my boyfriend commented on the sudden shift in my mood and demeanor.

So fast forward to my second Whole30. I'm wrapping up Day 13 and I feel really good - no slips or cheats, completely Whole30 compliant. I haven't had issues this time around with constipation, overeating, unnecessary snacking, negative moods (except that initial "kill all things" phase), fluctuating energy, etc. My cravings haven't even been strong. And I haven't gained any weight from what I can tell (no scale!). The main difference: I eat a sweet potato or 2 each day. I've been weighing it on my food scale just to be aware of how much sweet potato I'm eating. I weigh out about 200 grams of raw sweet potato for my breakfast - roughly 40 grams of carbs (6 of which are fiber). Some days I have a second sweet potato for dinner.

I don't crave sweet potatoes - I never have the urge to overeat sweet potatoes (i.e., I naturally stop eating when I'm full). I haven't turned orange (yet). But am I missing the point of the Whole30? Am I eating too many sweet potatoes?

I'm doing my second Whole30 (Yay!). During my first Whole30, my mood was very very calm - but also negative. My energy levels fluctuated. I dealt with constipation (something I never struggled with before). I gained a few pounds. My skin didn't clear up. And I struggled, at times, with overeating and snacking (too many nuts!). I have to say that even though I definitely experienced some real benefits - improved concentration, mental clarity, disappearance of this strange tendonitis feeling in my shoulder and no more inflamed gums (who knew?!) - I was a little bummed by these other issues. After my first Whole30, I continued eating a Whole30 diet for the most part - but I added more sweet potatoes and butternut squash and I felt like a new woman - even my boyfriend commented on the sudden shift in my mood and demeanor.

So fast forward to my second Whole30. I'm wrapping up Day 13 and I feel really good - no slips or cheats, completely Whole30 compliant. I haven't had issues this time around with constipation, overeating, unnecessary snacking, negative moods (except that initial "kill all things" phase), fluctuating energy, etc. My cravings haven't even been strong. And I haven't gained any weight from what I can tell (no scale!). The main difference: I eat a sweet potato or 2 each day. I've been weighing it on my food scale just to be aware of how much sweet potato I'm eating. I weigh out about 200 grams of raw sweet potato for my breakfast - roughly 40 grams of carbs (6 of which are fiber). Some days I have a second sweet potato for dinner.

I don't crave sweet potatoes - I never have the urge to overeat sweet potatoes (i.e., I naturally stop eating when I'm full). I haven't turned orange (yet). But am I missing the point of the Whole30? Am I eating too many sweet potatoes?

Oh gosh. Why are you measuring anything or calculating carbs? STOP..you are missing the point of Whole 30. Sweet potatoes are an important part of my day. Do I have 2? No. I like variety in texture, color and density in veggies. If I felt like having 2, I would, but it would have nothing to do with any numbers. If you feel like you should introduce another type of veggie, then do that. Don't make it about numbers.

I'll have to say - I'm really at peace with food and measuring food. This isn't a neurotic urge - trust me when I say that I know the difference. I didn't post this question out of fear or concern - more out of curiosity. I genuinely like to understand the science behind the guidelines. And I hope this post is helpful to others who may be struggling. So while I appreciate your friendly scoldings (really, truly), I posted this to hear some feedback on whether or not I'm preventing my body from switching to a "fat-burning" mode and/or why more people struggling with the first Whole30 don't try adding more sweet potatoes (or other starchy veg)- if it seems to be making all the difference for me. Even if a moderator weighs in that this is, in fact, too many sweet potatoes - I'm not sure if I'll change how I'm eating because I feel so good. But that's not to say that I don't want to better understand how my dietary choices fit into the 4 "good food standards" - healthy gut, healthy psychological response, minimization of systemic chronic inflammation, and healthy hormonal response.

@ Andrea - I do eat winter squash, carrots, parsnips and such - but, yes, I'm pretty stuck on sweet potatoes at the moment (I think because I can grate them and cook them up in a pan in about 10 minutes - so the convenience keeps me reaching for them.) Thanks for your feedback!

I'll have to say - I'm really at peace with food and measuring food. This isn't a neurotic urge - trust me when I say that I know the difference. I didn't post this question out of fear or concern - more out of curiosity. I genuinely like to understand the science behind the guidelines. And I hope this post is helpful to others who may be struggling. So while I appreciate your friendly scoldings (really, truly), I posted this to hear some feedback on whether or not I'm preventing my body from switching to a "fat-burning" mode and/or why more people struggling with the first Whole30 don't try adding more sweet potatoes (or other starchy veg)- if it seems to be making all the difference for me. Even if a moderator weighs in that this is, in fact, too many sweet potatoes - I'm not sure if I'll change how I'm eating because I feel so good. But that's not to say that I don't want to better understand how my dietary choices fit into the 4 "good food standards" - healthy gut, healthy psychological response, minimization of systemic chronic inflammation, and healthy hormonal response.

@ Andrea - I do eat winter squash, carrots, parsnips and such - but, yes, I'm pretty stuck on sweet potatoes at the moment (I think because I can grate them and cook them up in a pan in about 10 minutes - so the convenience keeps me reaching for them.) Thanks for your feedback!

Your question sounded more along the lines of "Am I eating too many carbs" rather than "Am I prohibiting my body from burning fat?" Rather, you asked: "But am I missing the point of the Whole30? Am I eating too many sweet potatoes?"

I would say by measuring your SP you are missing part of the point (of listening to your body) and no you aren't eating too many sweet potatoes. Someone who is measuring every SP they put in their body and are still wondering if they are overdoing it is missing the point. Sorry if this comes off as harsh, but your response seemed to contradict your original post.

As far as fat burning, I typically save the starchy veggies for dinner which is generally after I workout. I have the most fat at breakfast and kind of taper them off while upping my carbs as the day comes to an end. I find that if I start my day with a SP, I then need one for lunch to keep my blood sugar levels stable.

Also, why do you think that those are are "struggling with their first Whole 30" aren't adding more sweet potatoes? Everyone works differently. I think if you are eating 1-2 SP a day and are feeling great then don't change anything.

Archived