Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eatspinraverepeat

February 15th--Let's Do This

Recommended Posts

@History&Pearls

I understand that you feel victimized here, but we were clarifying someone else's question regarding whether "ice cream" was allowed? Is it not okay for us to support others when they ask for clarity on the rules?

Nevertheless, good for you in making a healthier choice than you would have otherwise.

Hopefully one of the mods can weigh in on this, but I really want to emphasize that the response about not recreating goodies were clarifying for others. 

Please be supportive of the people here who want to do this by the book.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be noted: while smoothies are technically compliant for Whole30, they aren’t encouraged. Why? Well, eating a meal sends a different signal to your body than drinking a meal – your body won’t feel as full consuming a smoothie. Plus, with all that fruit, most smoothies can set off your sugar cravings in a way that’s best avoided.

Ultimately, it’s your call. Just be careful with these things! If you find yourself feeling hungry shortly after consuming a smoothie and find the fruit sugar setting you off, smoothies might be best avoided.

 From the Whole30 book, pg 95.....

"If the ingredients are all compiant, why can't I have baked goods or treats".....Long answer: the whole30 is about changing the behaviors that led you to persistent cravings, unhealthy emotional relationships w/food, and feeling out of control w/your food choices

"Shouldn't it be up to me to decide what's off-limits?" ......"We created the program rules, and those rules specifically state that certain foods are off limits, and this is the program to which you committed. Signing up for Whole30 and then complaining about the rules is like joining a soccer team and getting mad you can't use your hands"

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before someone thinks I posted that about them, it was a reminder to myself that I can't do those things. Shakes and smoothies might not create cravings for others, but for me I noticed fruit makes me want to snack. I like discussions, and having someone post a question makes me research it...and for me further plants the rules in my brain. I want to thank everyone for being here and for support in this amazing/interesting journey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

@History&Pearls

I understand that you feel victimized here, but we were clarifying someone else's question regarding whether "ice cream" was allowed? Is it not okay for us to support others when they ask for clarity on the rules?

Nevertheless, good for you in making a healthier choice than you would have otherwise.

Hopefully one of the mods can weigh in on this, but I really want to emphasize that the response about not recreating goodies were clarifying for others. 

Please be supportive of the people here who want to do this by the book.

 

 

 

 

I am absolutely supportive of people who are doing it by the book - my interpretation was that I was as well. It is great for us to support when people ask for clarity, but I didn't ask for clarity, and I feel that any clarification for others could be done in a much nicer way that didn't make it seem like a personal attack. A much more supportive way. A way that doesn't make people feel ashamed for coming up with something that made them feel good and accomplished on their birthday. I really love the way I feel, I know I'm losing weight and I'm having lots of NSVs, but this is the second time I've been spoken to in a harsh manner on these boards, and I think I've been a good and supportive contributor and we shouldn't talk to people that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, History&Pearls said:

I am absolutely supportive of people who are doing it by the book - my interpretation was that I was as well. It is great for us to support when people ask for clarity, but I didn't ask for clarity, and I feel that any clarification for others could be done in a much nicer way that didn't make it seem like a personal attack.

.....

but this is the second time I've been spoken to in a harsh manner on these boards, and I think I've been a good and supportive contributor and we shouldn't talk to people that way. 

 
 

You weren't asking for clarity and we weren't clarifying for you. I am literally quoting the person who asked for clarity, below.

15 hours ago, scma said:

I thought we weren't supposed to be concocting treats with compliant ingredients?

 

I think this thread has been consistently supportive. Sorry to hear that in another part of the forum you felt you were spoken to harshly. No one was attacking you here, but you have turned it into that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@eatspinraverepeat - I don't think it was an "attack," but I do think we should be nicer to people on here. I really enjoyed hearing from everyone and seeing how everyone's 30 days were going, and liked giving my input, but it's not healthy for me to post something happy and be jumped on for it because I interpreted something differently - that's just not something I want when I'm trying to make a positive change. I won't quit, because strangers on the internet don't have that kind of power over me, but I don't think I'll be reading or posting here anymore. Good luck to everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

Hopefully one of the mods can weigh in on this, but I really want to emphasize that the response about not recreating goodies were clarifying for others. 

Ok, so to clarify, and to avoid ANYONE reading this thread being in any way confused, blended frozen banana with coconut milk or nut butter or anything else you might choose to add is off limits, and whilst it doesn't warrant a start over since the ingredients are compliant, it is very clearly & specifically called out (just like pancakes!) and is not allowed.

From the official Whole30 'Can I Have...?' guidelines:

Paleo Ice Cream (YoNanas): No

This. Is. Ice. Cream. Unlike plain frozen fruit, or fruit blended into ice cubes, the only purpose of this confection is to replicate the taste, texture and reward sensation of ice cream. (Don’t tell us you’d get the same satisfaction from a frozen banana because we call your bluff.) Plus the addition of cocoa, nut butters, nuts, or other fruits to your creamy concoction… this is straight SWYPO, and it’s off-limits during your Whole30.

As always the mods are here to offer help, support & guidance, but this also means ensuring you stick to the rules - or at least pointing out when you're going against them so that others are aware of potential pitfalls....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone was being harsh. People were discussing the program, that's what we're all here for. Nothing personal was stated nor intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are trying the coconut curry chicken tonight on page 230 of the book. My sides are roasted butternut squash & sautéed kale with almonds (pg 298)

Happy eating & here's to day 21 & 9 more to go!!!

How is everyone planning on reintroducing foods/drink? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, rgill said:

We are trying the coconut curry chicken tonight on page 230 of the book. My sides are roasted butternut squash & sautéed kale with almonds (pg 298)

Happy eating & here's to day 21 & 9 more to go!!!

How is everyone planning on reintroducing foods/drink? 

 

I really want to know how the curry chicken turns out...I keep looking at that recipe, but I keep forgetting to purchase coconut milk!

Only 9 days left. Can't believe it. I am hoping to do a very slow reintro. I am dying to know if dairy is responsible for a little scalp irritation that has cleared up since I have been on Whole30. Otherwise, I just really want to give a glass of wine a shot.

I think I will follow the reintro protocol of having at least two days of strict W30 after introducing something off the W30 plan. 

Are you going for the 10 day reintro? Or a slower approach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

I really want to know how the curry chicken turns out...I keep looking at that recipe, but I keep forgetting to purchase coconut milk!

It was fantastic!! I am not a huge Indian food person, so, I cut the curry to 2 heaping tsp.  And, make sure you use coconut cream, not milk.  It really makes the sauce.  My college aged son ate with us tonight and wants the recipe:)

1 hour ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

Otherwise, I just really want to give a glass of wine a shot.

We end on a Friday, so, why not:)

1 hour ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

Are you going for the 10 day reintro? Or a slower approach?

I would like to be able to give it at least 10 days, but, we are going out of town to visit my in laws 6 days after.  I'm really bummed that I won't be able to do this as suggested in the book.  They have a TJs in their area, but, some of this cooking would be difficult to do out of my own kitchen.  They are in an assisted living facility with what they say is a great cafeteria.  I'm having a hard time thinking that means healthy.  I'm hoping they have some gluten free options......we will see.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The curry chicken sounds awesome!

 

More business travel difficulties. Had a pretty decent dinner at Red Lobster - steamed crab legs, salted baked potato with canola oil,  and green beans/mushrooms in canola. Not getting a cocktail and cheddar biscuits killed me though. I miss cooking for myself at home, I can have way better food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today was good. I just finished off a steak and baked potato and roasted broccoli/nuts that was delicious. I was really craving prime rib but (1) I'm not making one at home on a weeknight and (2) I don't have venturing out to a restaurant in me tonight. This afternoon was the first time I've really been hungry, it was odd. I must not have had quite enough chicken in my lunch...

5 hours ago, rgill said:

How is everyone planning on reintroducing foods/drink? 

I'm starting with cider on Friday night. No gluten and no grains, just alcohol. I do hope to keep doing 2 days of compliant food in between reintroduction days, and I'm still deciding if I want to reintroduce legumes and corn since I haven't missed them. I have some kind of vague outlines of how I might want my food plans to look going forward, but those are absolutely subject to change depending on whether reintroduction reveals any sensitivities. Does anyone have any ideas about how they want to eat after this is over? 

Eight more days to go! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My current future plan is to keep breakfast and lunch as-is, or at least totally cut the grains, sugar, and dairy from these meals. I'm having much more, and more steady, energy during my day than before. No more post-lunch crash propped up by snacks. This has been my biggest benefit so I want to keep that.

I'm thinking I'll change up dinners though and start incorporating outside ingredients. I will do one thing at a time though, to really get the benefit of the re-introduction and identifying how these foods affect me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a reintroduction plan. I'm going out to eat w/my hubby (which will include deep Fried shrimp and french fries). Then the following day gonna plug through another round of Whole30. Then maybe work on a reintroduction. Maybe during round 2 I can finish the books. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Brensuma said:

I don't have a reintroduction plan. I'm going out to eat w/my hubby (which will include deep Fried shrimp and french fries). Then the following day gonna plug through another round of Whole30. Then maybe work on a reintroduction. Maybe during round 2 I can finish the books. Lol

 

Nice! I don't think I could jump back into another round right away. Way to go!

5 hours ago, scma said:

My current future plan is to keep breakfast and lunch as-is, or at least totally cut the grains, sugar, and dairy from these meals. I'm having much more, and more steady, energy during my day than before. No more post-lunch crash propped up by snacks. This has been my biggest benefit so I want to keep that.

I'm thinking I'll change up dinners though and start incorporating outside ingredients. I will do one thing at a time though, to really get the benefit of the re-introduction and identifying how these foods affect me.

1

I love that you want to continue incorporating mostly a Whole30 approach. I plan to follow Whole30 principles; however, I think I may incorporate snacks post-W30.

 

15 hours ago, MargretB said:

I'm starting with cider on Friday night. No gluten and no grains, just alcohol. I do hope to keep doing 2 days of compliant food in between reintroduction days, and I'm still deciding if I want to reintroduce legumes and corn since I haven't missed them.

 

I feel like we will have similar re-intro plans. Would love to keep in touch regarding how the re-intro process goes. Maybe our thread can move over to a Post-W30 thread? Or keep going in this one?

18 hours ago, rgill said:

It was fantastic!! I am not a huge Indian food person, so, I cut the curry to 2 heaping tsp.  And, make sure you use coconut cream, not milk.  It really makes the sauce.  My college aged son ate with us tonight and wants the recipe:)

 

I am going to buy the ingredients to try this!

 

So excited that we only have 8 days left. I'm missing my snacks the most. I feel like I eat too much at meals, but I end up starving if I don't. I have felt really exhausted, so I'm taking the next few days off of the gym. Hopefully it will help me lean out in the last week of W30 (my pants are far tighter than when I started W30...and I think it may be due to elevated cortisol and too much sweet potato). Anyone else not leaning out on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Brensuma said:

Then the following day gonna plug through another round of Whole30. Then maybe work on a reintroduction. Maybe during round 2 I can finish the books. Lol

I am also doing another round of whole30.  I am going to have a glass of wine or Cider beer first though! Then do some reintroducing for 6 days until we go out of town.  The day after we get back, I'm going for round 2.  

I'd really like to continue this way of eating and find that balance for what I can have outside of whole eating during the week & still remain feeling good. I saw a video where Melissa Hartwig says she can eat 2 PB cups /week and still feel good.  I'm curious if dairy bothers me as well, but, just two things....1/2 & 1/2 & plain greek yogurt.  So, that will be introduced after the alcohol:)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

I feel like we will have similar re-intro plans. Would love to keep in touch regarding how the re-intro process goes. Maybe our thread can move over to a Post-W30 thread? Or keep going in this one?

Sure! Either of those options works fine for me. 

I'm impressed with everyone planning to go right back into this so quickly. 

One of the reasons I'm doing this is that I had noticed I was consistently feeling bad after lunch--nauseated and exhausted with an elevated heart rate. That hasn't happened since I started Whole30 and I'm looking forward to figuring out what was causing that reaction. I want my breakfasts to continue to be similar--eating within an hour of waking up and getting a healthy mix of protein and veggies and fat. I'd like to continue with a big reduction of added sugars in my diet, but do think I'll probably be more relaxed with my food on the weekend (subject to whether reintro shows food sensitivities--I don't want to keep eating things that make me feel bad). 

I felt tired all day today, which led to me slacking when it came to lunch. I didn't have enough veggies which probably didn't help getting my energy up, but I had half a plate of veggies plus a side salad with dinner to make up for it a little. It was steak for the second night in a row and it was just as good as last night :)

Keep it up everyone, we only have 7 days to go! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MargretB said:

Sure! Either of those options works fine for me. 

I'm impressed with everyone planning to go right back into this so quickly. 

One of the reasons I'm doing this is that I had noticed I was consistently feeling bad after lunch--nauseated and exhausted with an elevated heart rate. That hasn't happened since I started Whole30 and I'm looking forward to figuring out what was causing that reaction. I want my breakfasts to continue to be similar--eating within an hour of waking up and getting a healthy mix of protein and veggies and fat. I'd like to continue with a big reduction of added sugars in my diet, but do think I'll probably be more relaxed with my food on the weekend (subject to whether reintro shows food sensitivities--I don't want to keep eating things that make me feel bad). 

I felt tired all day today, which led to me slacking when it came to lunch. I didn't have enough veggies which probably didn't help getting my energy up, but I had half a plate of veggies plus a side salad with dinner to make up for it a little. It was steak for the second night in a row and it was just as good as last night :)

Keep it up everyone, we only have 7 days to go! 

3

Glad you want to keep up with re-intro! 

 

And I can't believe only 7 days left!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you believe it? Only 7 days left! Though it's not over, I've thought back to the beginning. I don't have nearly the aches and pains I did starting out. Still have some "bad" days, but not as bad or as many. Sleep? Can't believe how much better I sleep....and all without prescription sleeping pills (and I wake up earlier and WIDE awake). And I also no longer need my depression meds. I know it says this WOE can help with those issues but I never truly believed it. (No, I'm not suggesting others quit their meds. This is what worked me).   

 My reason for having a couple "old days" type eating? 

    1. I know that those will be some of the foods I "thought" I was missing

    2. (For me) I don't think 30 days was enough to create a lifetime of healthy                         thinking/choices when it comes to food. 

Stay strong everyone! We got this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brensuma said:

    2. (For me) I don't think 30 days was enough to create a lifetime of healthy                         thinking/choices when it comes to food. 

1

You're so right! In all of the literature, Melissa notes that it takes 66 days to form a new habit...so it is such a good idea to try to stick with a majority of the W30 rules for another month or so. Especially avoiding any previous old, bad habits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it's been fun yall,  but this is the end of the road for me. I unknowingly have been eating pickles with non compliant ingredients.so it's restart for me. So instead of next weekend going out to eat, I plan on going out to eat tomorrow night with hubby to celebrate how far I did come on this journey. 

 So, stay strong everyone and I'll be back on track and paying closer attention this next round!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Brensuma said:

Well, it's been fun yall,  but this is the end of the road for me. I unknowingly have been eating pickles with non compliant ingredients.so it's restart for me. So instead of next weekend going out to eat, I plan on going out to eat tomorrow night with hubby to celebrate how far I did come on this journey. 

 So, stay strong everyone and I'll be back on track and paying closer attention this next round!

 

So sad you won't be sticking with us through the 30 days!

 

What was the non-compliant ingredient/pickle brand? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites