Needing meal help and weight loss help

Lc13

I am 34 years old and recently finished the program. I am 5'7", have no health problems (according to my doctor who did a full blood panel), exercise 3x per week. I began the program at an overweight 190 lbs, and finished at an even higher 197 lbs. I have quite a bit of body fat. 

I'm quite frustrated, as of course part of my motivation to get healthier was to lose weight. I was recently tested and told I am allergic to eggs, soy, gluten and dairy, so Whole30 seemed like a great fit. It has been extremely difficult (and boring) to eat with all my restrictions. I believe my weight gain is partly due to the amount of fruit and sweet potatoes I've eaten, but I'm honestly not sure what to replace them with since I'm already somewhat restricted. 

The only non-scale victories I have seen is improved sleep. My energy may be slightly better, but I don't have looser clothes. I have never been a coffee drinker, and have not had soda in 15 years. I drink 4-17 oz bottles of water per day, sometimes 5.

I really want to continue to program, but I need some help and ideas on things that are egg free, and am willing to avoid sweet potatoes and fruit to see if I can lose weight now that the original 30 days are over. This is not one of those "maybe that's the weight your body is comfortable with" things. I'm overweight, and unhappy with the weight gain.

A normal day's food would be approximately 1,300-1,400 calories tracked on MyFitnessPal  and consist of some of the following foods:

Tuna or sardines (packed in water)

handful of unsalted walnuts

small sweet potato with 1/2 to 1 tbsp ghee (dr said ghee is okay)

olive oil for cooking 

chicken breast, salmon fillet, or elk tenderloin

spring mix salad with cucumbers and celery

oil and vinegar dressing (1 tbsp oil) 

Steamed vegetables

occasional apple or small banana

handful of blueberries

There have been a few other items eaten, but all within the program guidelines and similar to the items above. I have had a program approved Epic bar maybe 5 out of the 30 days as an emergency food. 

Please don't be condescending or act like maybe this is the "new norm" for my body. I have seen that in a lot of threads, and I can tell you I am not at a healthy weight. It's very frustrating. I just really need some advice on whether to limit or cut out fruit and out sweet potatoes, and if so, what can I replace them with? Any suggestions, recipes and ideas are welcome!

From what I see, (mods will weigh in as well I'm sure and correct me if needed),  it looks like you may not be eating enough. I know for my body if I under eat I will NOT lose weight and have even gained. Our bodies like to feel like they are getting enough nutrition and will not let go of excess weight until its certain that it will be consistently fed. I don't see much fat in your list either. I found that until my meals were substantial enough AND included enough fat I was hungry between meals and I didn't lose much if any weight. I was surprised when eating more food and more fat consistently and I finally saw some weight loss.

All that said please remember that this is not a weight loss program, weight loss can be a side effect but not always.

I appreciate your reply, and I know it's not a weight loss program. But I don't want it to be a weight gain program either. As I said, I didn't see many nonscale victories either, and my doctor has told me I need to lose weight to make things easier on my back, which has a bulging disc. So my 30 days were somewhat counterproductive in that area.

I get fat from olive oil, walnuts and ghee. I eat approximately 40-50 fat grams per day. 

Have you seen the meal template? You're aiming for 1-2 palms of protein, 1-2 servings of fat (thumb or 1/2 to 1 avocado, etc) and 1-3 CUPS of vegetables. The mods have repeatedly advised us to fill our plates with vegetables. Fruit, if eaten at all, and many people don't eat fruit, is 1-2 servings a day.

Nuts are a fat but not a high quality one. Some people find nuts problematic in that they may cause digestive issues or bloating or lead to snacking or sugar cravings. 

So make sure you are eating vegetables in quantity at every meal. For greens to count, you would have to eat a HUGE bowl as they reduce down to almost nothing.

Your allergies still allow you all the vegetables (an almost infinite variety) and proteins (ditto). So, you could start by increasing your vegetables.

If you post your meals (quantities and composition, not just a list of foods you eat) and the times you eat a mod can give you more advice about tweaking your meals if necessary. (Eating within an hour of waking is a key recommendation.)

Finally, and you may read it in a lot of threads but that's because it's true: Whole30 is not a weight loss diet. Many people lose weight if they need to AND if their bodies are sufficiently nourished and otherwise ready to release that weight. 

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

I understand not wanting to gain weight, however if you didn't eat enough it could keep any weight lost and NSV's at bay too. Not trying to lecture, but just something to think about. Also counting macros is not something that is encouraged instead use of the template is, as I understand it, trying to give us a different way to assure we are being properly nourished and learn to listen to our bodies needs. My advise would be to take a look at the template again and make sure that you were (and are) adequately feeding your body.

I can also imagine that it must be very frustrating and upsetting to have committed 30 days and worked hard at a program that you gave your hope to and to feel like it got you nowhere. I get that too...

The people around the forums here have a wealth of knowledge and really are able to give some great advice. I know I have gotten advice here in the past and some of it was hard to take (for me anyway) because in my situation it meant that there was more work to do on myself and I just didn't want to do it. But when I did it helped....

Not saying at all this is your experience but just sharing a bit of mine :-)

I appreciate you trying to help. I'm extremely frustrated, and have consulted the book, forums, and anything I can find with accurate Whole30 info multiple times. I keep reading the same things, with what I feel is no real answer for my problem. I hesitated posting here, and just reached a point of desperation and frustration, and saw this as my last resort. 

I ate the meal templates. I ate at the correct times. I ate cruciferous vegetables with my greens and tried to keep fruit at a minimum. Let's pretend I ate absolutely perfect (yes, I know "there is no perfect Whole30," and am not claiming mine was). But pretend I didn't ask the weight loss question. Can anyone help me with recipes that would satisfy no eggs, no sweet potatoes, and minimal or no fruit? It's been impossible for me to find help on that. I don't even know what to search the forums for. (And I know I can eat leftovers or non breakfast foods.)

I suppose I'm also jealous of all the people who say the program changed their lives. I did not experience anything life changing, even when I cut out all the foods that I'm allergic to. I really experiences little change, and attribute better sleep partly to putting my phone away earlier. I don't know, I feel very let down, not to mention 7 lbs heavier. 

Maybe head over to the cooking thread for meal suggestions without eggs? For now, I can suggest a few of my favorite meals that I go back to time and again- chicken chowder (this is either from ISWF or the followup Whole 30 book that had more recipes)- I know it had sweet potato, but you could easily omit and just add more chicken thighs (my favorite part anyway). Golden cauliflower soup from Well Fed paleo is great, as is the char sui pork and chinese fried rice (cauliflower). I love sausage balls in the morning, but usually make mine with about a 1/3 portion of sweet potato- no reason yours couldn't just be all sausage and maybe sautéed onions and spinach?

I'm sorry you didn't see the weight loss you're seeking and I hope you find the right combo of foods/advice to help you with that- i understand that can be intrinsically linked to health, so totally understandable you're seeking help with that. 

20 minutes ago, Lc13 said:

I appreciate you trying to help. I'm extremely frustrated, and have consulted the book, forums, and anything I can find with accurate Whole30 info multiple times. I keep reading the same things, with what I feel is no real answer for my problem. I hesitated posting here, and just reached a point of desperation and frustration, and saw this as my last resort. 

I ate the meal templates. I ate at the correct times. I ate cruciferous vegetables with my greens and tried to keep fruit at a minimum. Let's pretend I ate absolutely perfect (yes, I know "there is no perfect Whole30," and am not claiming mine was). But pretend I didn't ask the weight loss question. Can anyone help me with recipes that would satisfy no eggs, no sweet potatoes, and minimal or no fruit? It's been impossible for me to find help on that. I don't even know what to search the forums for. (And I know I can eat leftovers or non breakfast foods.)

There are an almost infinite number of possible combinations of proteins, vegetables and fats that would not include sweet potatoes and would not include eggs.

Just as one example, I frequently eat broiled fish with various seasonings and added ghee or homemade mayo as a fat, along with roasted veggies (olive oil) and/or steamed veggies (more ghee) with nary an egg or sweet potato in sight. I love greens (spinach, kale, collard greens), broccoli and cauliflower, carrots, onions and bell peppers, mushroom, tomatoes . . . and those all play recurring roles. You get the idea . . . Find the foods you love.

I like simple foods and I prefer not to spend a lot of time in the kitchen so I tend to broil or roast my proteins or cook something like marinara sauce or chili or a curry or a stew/soup. I LOVE leftover dinner for breakfast--that's the best!--and can also be found eating (compliant) hot dogs and sauerkraut for breakfast. You get the idea.

Everyone's going to be different but you could browse the Whole30 log section for LOTS of information about what others are eating (some great choices and also some not so great).

Thank you, TJHigh. Those are good suggestions. I've tried omitting and replacing, and some work, while others don't (salmon cakes don't work without the eggs and sweet potatoes, lol). It seems like if its egg free, it's either fruity or sweet potato!

And I appreciate your response about weight loss. When your neurosurgeon says lose weight, and you're eating this healthy, you would expect some loss. I definitely did not expect to gain. My high weight for my frame is not healthy.

• Moderators

Hey there;

Sorry you're frustrated, I can definitely tell that.  You've been given some good advice already... what you're asking for as far as recipes for egg and sweet potato free food is something that probably most people are not going to answer in detail because leaving off eggs and one kind of starch is pretty easy... if you know that you can eat other foods for your Meal 1, then the world of possibilities is open to you.  Have a Whole30 compliant chili and avocado for breakfast with a nice salad... no eggs, no sweet potato. Voila!

I know sometimes its really hard to be this frustrated and see past our frustration but not eating eggs and sweet potato shouldn't really give you a lot of grief.

That said, if you do want help with your meal composition, we'd suggest you list out in meals what you've been eating including portion sizes (grams and ounces mean nothing to us), meal timing, specific veggies, protein and fats, then we can help you see if there's something that stands out.  A list of foods you may have eaten isn't going to be helpful as it doesn't show us meal compositions.  You say you've been making your meals to template, so use the template measurements to list your foods.

It's already been said here but I"ll say it again, this is not a weightloss diet.  A lot of people can and will lose weight when removing SAD foods from their diet and eating 3 meals a day etc... If you have medical issues to overcome, your body will prioritize healing over losing weight.  If you're sleeping better, something has changed for you... so that's good!

Give us a good breakdown of what you've been eating and we can see what we can do to help.

7 am wake up

8 am Meal 1: palm and a half of baked salmon topped with ghee, 1-2 cups sliced cucumbers dipped in homemade balsamic vinaigrette (Whole30 recipe)

Noon Meal 2: sardines packed in oil (sometimes I eat them packed in water, depending on other fat eaten at meal), green salad with cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and celery, balsamic vinaigrette dressing

6:30-7 pm Meal 3: 2 cups spaghetti squash with large chicken breast, coconut aminos, olive oil, lime juice, garlic, green onions, half avocado with salt

Pre-workout: tuna with homemade compliant mayo

Post workout:  medium sweet potato with ghee 

Also, I had (and have) periods of high emotions starting around day 15. These have ranged from irritability to tears. 

I guess I have felt so limited by cutting out so many foods, then feel like having to cut sweet potatoes and fruit is even more limiting. I'm sorry if you feel eggs and sweet potatoes shouldn't give me a lot of grief, but this has been a big lifestyle change for me, and please keep in mind some may have a harder time giving up foods than others. I've had a volitale relationship with food for most of my life, and I must say these boards don't do much for someone who is dealing with that. It feels like some who respond have had success and don't get why others can't just "follow the rules." Well, I am, I have, and all I feel like is heavier and very emotional. 

• Moderators

I think part of the key is the statement that you've had a volatile relationship with food for most of your life.  Again, like I said, each person's context is different... some people lose weight.  Some people actually gain weight if they come from a place of restriction and calorie counting... what it basically means is that your body doesn't trust that you're not going to go back to calorie restriction again and it holds on to everything you give it.  This is not a forever thing but it can happen.

As far as food restrictions, you don't have to cut out fruit and sweet potato... if you were eating them for snacks, filling your plate with them to the exclusion of other veggies etc.. then there's good reason to limit them but it's your choice if you remove them completely.  A lot of the advanced members and mods don't eat fruit as a general rule... for some it agitates the sugar cravings, for some they just fill up on veggies and have no room for it.

We don't recommend you cut out starchy carbs completely.  Women especially need about a fist sized serving a day... they can help regulate mood (and I understand you're quite emotional right now based on what you've said).  If it's specifically sweet potato that you have an issue with, you can do winter squash, beets, parsnips, carrots, white potato, plantains etc... 

Your meals don't look half bad to be honest... I would want to know next if these meals are lasting you 4-5 hours or if you're starving between/wanting to snack etc... 

There are loads of resources on these forums for people who are egg free.  It's not uncommon at all and there are even egg free mayo recipes.  I know it seems unfair and like this is an extra burden for you, but you will win... 

Did you do the re-introductions at the end of your program?  MIght you feel more comfortable with not eating eggs if you could add something back in that Whole30 rules out?  You're technically done the Whole30 so you don't have to stick to the rules... if you reintroduce steel cut oats for instance and you like them, you could have some for breakfast with some sausage and coconut milk... that's an egg free, sweet potato free, dairy/soy/gluten frere meal.  We generally don't give suggestions on what to eat after your Whole30 and I woudln't be able to offer more suggestions, but it's just to get the thought across that if you're done with your 30 days and have done your re-intros, maybe your meal options look different?

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't reintroduced anything because I was trying to decide if I should continue and do a Whole60 since I didn't have the results I wanted (mood/energy/weight wise). If this is hormone related, I want to continue to eat correctly to balance them.

I came from long periods of low carb (Atkins) mixed with periods of high carb (anything I could get my hands on). I want to get healthy. I want to end this horrible relationship I have with food, cutting and binging and counting. I think I expected amazing results because my eating habits were so poor, but maybe my body is going to take longer to regulate itself because of those habits? 

I'm sorry if my posts were snarky yesterday. I was literally laying in my bed crying, frustrated, disappointed, and defeated. I'm doing everything I can, and it's like my body is rejecting my efforts. I have become more mindful of my bedtime and workout habits, which I thought would help even more, but it hasn't. I'm just searching for an answer that isn't there I suppose. Please forgive me for taking frustrations out on strangers in a forum trying to help. 

• Moderators

Hey there - We completely understand wanting to find answers and sometimes it's very frustrating when the only answer is 'keep waiting'... 

With your history of poor food relationship, I would say that yes, your body in your own context might need longer to figure out that you're honoring it and that it's safe and nourished.  In the same way we teach people how to treat us, we teach our body how to manage and when we've repeated the lesson of restriction or binging too long, it can take some time to fix that.

Here's the encouragement and love, regardless of food: you are loved by your people... you are beautiful and deserving of a healthy life and you're courageous for taking on this enormous task and then reaching out for help.  You're doing this because it is healthy and respectful to your body to feed yourself good whole foods.  That's amazing and worth a huge high five!

Archived